• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    Had a very nice surprise. As myself and MrsBBM, are high risk category, we’re entitled to free food parcel every week. Ours arrived and very good it is too.

Comment

• LezLee
      • Apr 2019

Had a very nice surprise. As myself and MrsBBM, are high risk category, we’re entitled to free food parcel every week. Ours arrived and very good it is too.
      What do you do with the stuff you don’t like/want/need? I got a parcel on my discharge from hospital last year. Mostly good but contained cornflakes (hate them) pasta (rarely eat it and nothing to use with it) and whole milk (I only have skimmed). I did appreciate the whole thing though.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
        What do you do with the stuff you don’t like/want/need? I got a parcel on my discharge from hospital last year. Mostly good but contained cornflakes (hate them) pasta (rarely eat it and nothing to use with it) and whole milk (I only have skimmed). I did appreciate the whole thing though.
        Pasta ?

3 bags = one of these

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Are these like BJ's letter (yet to come) - and will arrive spontaneously, or do you have to apply? I'm not sure if our neighbour might be in the high risk category - her husband certainly is - but he's in hospital at the moment anyway.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Are these like BJ's letter (yet to come) - and will arrive spontaneously, or do you have to apply? I'm not sure if our neighbour might be in the high risk category - her husband certainly is - but he's in hospital at the moment anyway.
            This is the official blurb
            The first free food boxes containing essential supplies have been delivered in England to those at highest risk from coronavirus.

An article in the Guardian suggests that there have been problems with the contents of some parcels which seem to have been used to offload items not wanted by the firms involved and were not of great(or any) nutritional quality.https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-food-parcels
            Lezlee, unwanted non-perishable items could go to a foodbank/community initiative if such exists locally and has arrangements for safe collection?

Comment

• LezLee
              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              This is the official blurb
              The first free food boxes containing essential supplies have been delivered in England to those at highest risk from coronavirus.

An article in the Guardian suggests that there have been problems with the contents of some parcels which seem to have been used to offload items not wanted by the firms involved and were not of great(or any) nutritional quality.https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-food-parcels
              Lezlee, unwanted non-perishable items could go to a foodbank/community initiative if such exists locally and has arrangements for safe collection?
              There is a foodbank but it’s 5 miles away. I’m housebound and unfortunately have no-one who can do things for me.
              I wonder how foodbanks are managing now. Might there be special arrangements with supermarkets?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

There is a foodbank but it’s 5 miles away. I’m housebound and unfortunately have no-one who can do things for me.
                I wonder how foodbanks are managing now. Might there be special arrangements with supermarkets?
                ....I would imagine (??) a phonecall to Foodbank would confirm that [during these strange time] they do have Volunteers who will deliver...

....certainly our district council has a NEW help line...
                bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Some of the existing arrangements have run into difficulties with not being able to get delivery slots, and customer item limits affecting in store collection bins.

In terms of unwanted items if you get a food parcel, do you know who runs the foodbank, to find a contact number? I don't know if you do FB but a lot of community groups are active on there, and again it's a way to make contact. Or the church? Once a pick-up has been arranged you would only need to put it on the doorstep to be collected - perhaps in the bag the parcel came in? - no need for contact.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    Pasta ?

3 bags = one of these

No trouble getting organic wholemeal fusilli at one of the local Tesco's here a couple of days ago. Mind you, that was the only dried pasta they had. People had already cleared the stuff with added pesticides and with much of its fibre removed.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 03-04-20, 12:59. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Ni trouble getting organic wholemeal fusilli at one of the local Tesco's here a couple of days ago. Mind you, that was the only dried pasta they had. People had already cleared the stuff with added pesticides and with much of its fibre removed.
                      It doesn't help though that wholemeal pasta looks so worthy, as well as being so worthy!
                      Just had a bowl of (regular) fusilli with a bit of left-over veg, and they soaked up some of the colour from the purple sprouting broccoli they were cooked with. Actually made them look rather like wholemeal ones.

Tasted good though.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        No trouble getting organic wholemeal fusilli at one of the local Tesco's here a couple of days ago. Mind you, that was the only dried pasta they had. People had already cleared the stuff with added pesticides and with much of its fibre removed.
                        The implication of that is that you are prepared to risk going to the shops. The last time I went to a shop was I think in the first week of March. I don't intend to go out at all now for a whie, not even to pick up medicine, since my prescription has been sent to a pharmacy 8 or so miles away. I'd rather take the chance that the increased risk from not taking the prophylactic tablets is small compared with the potential risk from picking up Covid 19. Maybe eventually the pharmacy will organise a mail out or delivery. I'm not in the ultra high risk category, but in a group with a higher perceived risk.

I am surprised that some of my friends who live in quite busy places compared with us, are still going to shops.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          The implication of that is that you are prepared to risk going to the shops. The last time I went to a shop was I think in the first week of March. I don't intend to go out at all now for a whie, not even to pick up medicine, since my prescription has been sent to a pharmacy 8 or so miles away. I'd rather take the chance that the increased risk from not taking the prophylactic tablets is small compared with the potential risk from picking up Covid 19. Maybe eventually the pharmacy will organise a mail out or delivery. I'm not in the ultra high risk category, but in a group with a higher perceived risk.

I am surprised that some of my friends who live in quite busy places compared with us, are still going to shops.
                          I pick the time I go to the shop (just the one on a given trip) with care. I am fortunate in living somewhere where walking there is easily accomplished without getting anywhere near 2 metres from others, The short queue at such times as I attend is short and well managed. I did once try the time reserved for we elderly. It was a big mistake. There were two long queues outside. One for the elderly and otherwise vulnerable, the other for those having to wait until after the protected hour. Mid-afternoon or the final half-hour are much quieter, in my experience. I now have sufficient provision for a good few days, having last shopped two evenings ago.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

For me, best news - shows what a tiny life I live - BUT supermarket has agreed to deliver!! Huzza!!!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              For me, best news - shows what a tiny life I live - BUT supermarket has agreed to deliver!! Huzza!!!

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                Splendid news indeed - and no it doesn't show what a tiny life you lead, it shows how easily modern ways of doing things can unravel and in the process cause real problems. I hope your delivery goes as planned and includes what you ordered.

Comment

Working...
                                X