X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I went to have my ears cleared out last Thursday. Has anyone else has this problem. We have a branch of a place called Action for Deaf. They have this chap coming round, and he does it by electricity. Our GPs practice doesn’t fund this anymore so we have to go to a place like this to have it done. Very good indeed. Cheaper than Nuffield, who charge around £90, AfD charge £70! Very reasonable I think.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      I went to have my ears cleared out last Thursday. Has anyone else has this problem. We have a branch of a place called Action for Deaf. They have this chap coming round, and he does it by electricity. Our GPs practice doesn’t fund this anymore so we have to go to a place like this to have it done. Very good indeed. Cheaper than Nuffield, who charge around £90, AfD charge £70! Very reasonable I think.
      Presume you mean microsuction? £90 seems a bit of a rip off if you ask me as I've had it done free a few times (not NHS) but I know someone who will do it.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Yes, I wondered what you meant, BBM, by electricity. I too had microsuction done on the NHS.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Presume you mean microsuction? £90 seems a bit of a rip off if you ask me as I've had it done free a few times (not NHS) but I know someone who will do it.
          £30-50 at SpecSavers - and 'no wax no free'. I've just checked and confirmed reports that our local medical centre no longer offers irrigation and recommends SpecSavers (and 2 other local sources) for microsuction.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Seems a wee bit of confusion going on there, and why is a spokesman for a UK organisation quoting a $ value for the industry?
            The faultlines of the blue veining have a lot to do with the crumbling and might be the reference? When I served on a deli counter Stilton was always a bit of a pain because not only did it have a tendency to fall apart during and after cutting, but the board and wire had to be cleaned afterwards. The cheese came in as whole truckles and there was considerable variation in the amount and pattern of blue despite all having been produced the same way. The outside rind was not very nice to handle, warty gritty texture with a high smear capacity and tenacious smell which required a fair bit of handwashing to remove. I like Stilton but prepping the whole cheese was not a job I welcomed.
            White Stilton is a crumbly cheese but doesn't leave visible traces of itself all over the place...
            Thank you for your reply, o1o. I now know a bit more about Stilton. I know what a truckle is, and, in spite of the warty gritty texture and the high smear capacity, the smell and the handwashing I still enjoy a bit of Stilton.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              Thank you for your reply, o1o. I now know a bit more about Stilton. I know what a truckle is, and, in spite of the warty gritty texture and the high smear capacity, the smell and the handwashing I still enjoy a bit of Stilton. (Are you sure you were thinking of cheese when you wrote those words)?
              Oh yes. Some things you don't forget...

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                Well, I've given up vaping, and now, instead of just one cup of coffee in the morning, I've started having one after lunch too - and this evening is the first time that I've thought I'd really like a cup of tea after dinner. Need some kind of stimulation in lieu of the small amount of nicotine I was vaping.
                Still have been getting nicotine withdrawal - greater appetite, occasional low/irritable mood - though that has not been helped by the lousy weather.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Still have been getting nicotine withdrawal - greater appetite, occasional low/irritable mood - though that has not been helped by the lousy weather.
                  Put it down to the weather, mostly.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                    Thank you for your reply, o1o. I now know a bit more about Stilton. I know what a truckle is, and, in spite of the warty gritty texture and the high smear capacity, the smell and the handwashing I still enjoy a bit of Stilton.
                    A favourite cheese of mine. Any blue cheese too.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Anybody else here been going through a sore throat and a cold?
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                        Anybody else here been going through a sore throat and a cold?
                        Not YET!

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

… we've not long discovered that this, in fact, is not true.

Happy Pancake Day everyone!
                          And again! My mum is enroute to New Zealand, but she pre-made some batter for me with which to make some pancakes. Only the third one came out right, but they all tasted good, just with sugar and lemon juice.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

And again! My mum is enroute to New Zealand, but she pre-made some batter for me with which to make some pancakes. Only the third one came out right, but they all tasted good, just with sugar and lemon juice.
                            These days I am happy to do without the sugar but the lemon juice hits the spot just right.

Comment

• Jonathan
                              • Mar 2007

We just had pancakes with ham, spinach, brie and leek, a recipe from the Lakeland website, they were really nice!
                              Best regards,
                              Jonathan

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Seems to be a rule of pancake making that the first couple don’t really work so well.
                                I like them with lemon and sugar too.

Oat and raisin pancakes are a treat for a winter breakfast or tea.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X