X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Throwing caution to the winds, I see the error. It should have read "Arrokoth Water Sports".
    ... isn't wiki wonderful?

"Arrokoth was named for the word "sky" in the Powhatan language of the Tidewater region of Virginia and Maryland, where the District of Columbia is located. The pronunciation and meaning of the word, however, are not entirely certain, as the language became extinct in the late 18th century and little was recorded of it. The best material was collected in 1610–1611 by English writer William Strachey, who had a decent ear but unfortunately execrable handwriting, and scholars since have had considerable difficulty reading his notes. The meanings of the words are also often uncertain, as Strachey and the Powhatan had no language in common.. Siebert (1975:324) used comparison with other Algonquian languages to interpret Strachey's handwriting, and deciphers the relevant glossary entries as ⟨arrokoth⟩ 'sky' and ⟨arrahgwotuwss⟩ 'clouds'. He reconstructs these as the word /aːrahkwat/ 'cloud', pl. /aːrahkwatas/ (cf. Ojibwa /aːnakkwat/ 'cloud'), from the Proto-Algonquian *aːlaxkwatwi 'it is a cloud, it is cloudy'. Given that the first vowel is long (/aː/), that syllable would have been stressed, for ARR-o-koth..."

" the language became extinct in the late 18th century and little was recorded of it. The best material was collected in 1610–1611 by English writer William Strachey, who had a decent ear but unfortunately execrable handwriting, and scholars since have had considerable difficulty reading his notes. The meanings of the words are also often uncertain, as Strachey and the Powhatan had no language in common." - could be straight out of Perec's La Vie mode d'emploi

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... isn't wiki wonderful?

"Arrokoth was named for the word "sky" in the Powhatan language of the Tidewater region of Virginia and Maryland, where the District of Columbia is located. The pronunciation and meaning of the word, however, are not entirely certain, as the language became extinct in the late 18th century and little was recorded of it. The best material was collected in 1610–1611 by English writer William Strachey, who had a decent ear but unfortunately execrable handwriting, and scholars since have had considerable difficulty reading his notes. The meanings of the words are also often uncertain, as Strachey and the Powhatan had no language in common.. Siebert (1975:324) used comparison with other Algonquian languages to interpret Strachey's handwriting, and deciphers the relevant glossary entries as ⟨arrokoth⟩ 'sky' and ⟨arrahgwotuwss⟩ 'clouds'. He reconstructs these as the word /aːrahkwat/ 'cloud', pl. /aːrahkwatas/ (cf. Ojibwa /aːnakkwat/ 'cloud'), from the Proto-Algonquian *aːlaxkwatwi 'it is a cloud, it is cloudy'. Given that the first vowel is long (/aː/), that syllable would have been stressed, for ARR-o-koth..."

" the language became extinct in the late 18th century and little was recorded of it. The best material was collected in 1610–1611 by English writer William Strachey, who had a decent ear but unfortunately execrable handwriting, and scholars since have had considerable difficulty reading his notes. The meanings of the words are also often uncertain, as Strachey and the Powhatan had no language in common. could be straight out of Perec's La Vie mode d'emploi

ARR-o-koth is should.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Ah Arrokoth : most distant world ever explored....[nice of them(US) to remember something wiped out....
        bong ching

Comment

• Flay
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I heard a government chap on R4 this morning saying that they did care about the "remote" parts of the country ..... meaning Doncaster
          Yes, very remote: in a central part of England, has about 73 trains per day to London and Edinburgh, also on east/west rail lines, is next to the M18 and A1 with close links to the M62 and M1, has one of the major race courses, a wonderful wildlife park, a concert hall, and within an hour's drive of York, Sheffield and Leeds.

It's the back of beyond
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Doncaster I hear, has it really bad at the moment.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              Yes, very remote: in a central part of England, has about 73 trains per day to London and Edinburgh, also on east/west rail lines, is next to the M18 and A1 with close links to the M62 and M1, has one of the major race courses, a wonderful wildlife park, a concert hall, and within an hour's drive of York, Sheffield and Leeds.

It's the back of beyond
              And,of course, there's this

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Almost one for Pedants' Paradise, but decided to post here.

In a letter recently received from the Halifax.

From 13th March 2020 we'll increase the interest rates on your Halifax Clarity credit card so they are more in line with the rates we're currently offering on our other cards.

What an excellent reason to screw more out of their customers.
                It might not have been quite so bad if they'd said 'we'll be increasing'!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post

It's the back of beyond
                  ... and a river...

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    ... and a river...
                    ... which, unfortunately, is currently not flowing quietly.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Well, I've given up vaping, and now, instead of just one cup of coffee in the morning, I've started having one after lunch too - and this evening is the first time that I've thought I'd really like a cup of tea after dinner. Need some kind of stimulation in lieu of the small amount of nicotine I was vaping.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                        Well, I've given up vaping, and now, instead of just one cup of coffee in the morning, I've started having one after lunch too - and this evening is the first time that I've thought I'd really like a cup of tea after dinner. Need some kind of stimulation in lieu of the small amount of nicotine I was vaping.
                        That’s great to hear, especially with what can happen! Besties!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                          That’s great to hear, especially with what can happen! Besties!
                          Yeah, there's no doubt vaping is much less dangerous than smoking, though, having heard a few scare stories, it's apparent that vaping itself is not exactly safe.

Comment

• muzzer
                            • Nov 2013

Best of luck with that. I’m 125 days off the tabs, but still needing half a medium strength patch of a morning just to deal with the trigger urge, when it creeps up.

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Mr.GongGong, I assume that you are the one to go to when the topic of cheese crops up. Now, I like a bit o f Stilton but my knowledge and interest comes from an episode of The Avengers where Steed, in passing, assesses the quality of a whole Stilton by referring to its crumble- ness. So what do you make of this:

The Cambridgeshire village of Stilton's hopes to make the product following Brexit may be dashed.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                                Mr.GongGong, I assume that you are the one to go to when the topic of cheese crops up. Now, I like a bit o f Stilton but my knowledge and interest comes from an episode of The Avengers where Steed, in passing, assesses the quality of a whole Stilton by referring to its crumble- ness. So what do you make of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51358752
                                Seems a wee bit of confusion going on there, and why is a spokesman for a UK organisation quoting a $ value for the industry?
                                The faultlines of the blue veining have a lot to do with the crumbling and might be the reference? When I served on a deli counter Stilton was always a bit of a pain because not only did it have a tendency to fall apart during and after cutting, but the board and wire had to be cleaned afterwards. The cheese came in as whole truckles and there was considerable variation in the amount and pattern of blue despite all having been produced the same way. The outside rind was not very nice to handle, warty gritty texture with a high smear capacity and tenacious smell which required a fair bit of handwashing to remove. I like Stilton but prepping the whole cheese was not a job I welcomed.
                                White Stilton is a crumbly cheese but doesn't leave visible traces of itself all over the place...

Comment

Working...
                                X