• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    What! Abba made the arrangements!
    It could be argued that they might have made a better job of it.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Is it not available at Boots in Kingfisher Walk?
      For some reason I never thought to look there.

In any case, I'm currently in my grandmother's cottage in Staffordshire.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        What! Abba made the arrangements!
        And passed the baton to Abbado, who managed to drop it, thus getting disqualified.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
          Great! I'm going to brush up by listening to the NMC discs, which haven't been spun for some years. I certainly hope there'll be a Radio 3 broadcast. BBC Four showed The Minotaur when it was done (and recently George Benjamin's newest opera), so fingers crossed for Orpheus.
          I get my ears done on Tuesday, and definitely plan on giving the CDs spun before I actually see it.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

A hotel is Tenerife has had to close because 95% of its room were contracted to Thomas Cook. What were its owners thinking of when they entered into that deal?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

A hotel is Tenerife has had to close because 95% of its room were contracted to Thomas Cook. What were its owners thinking of when they entered into that deal?
              Short term gain? (Warning: your customer base may go down, as well as up).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Thatcher's ideal of subcontracting local authority services for purposes of greater efficiency, I shouldn't be surprised.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Pretty tempting to secure a years sales in advance in one deal. ( Works well enough for PL football ).
                  Although not always to be recommended, it seems.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Started the tourist industry, been around for 150+ years, British - could be considered fairly strong plus points. The words 'eggs' and basket' not necessarily uppermost in the discussions.
                    But I'm not sure that we are in a position to criticise poor decisions that have adverse economic consequences...

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Not thinking of a good survival strategy for loss of a major client base, which they probably thought unlikely, hence low risk. I’m guessing that smarter owners would have reserve funds, or funds available, and could switch to other potential customers - or has the holiday market in Tenerife collapsed as well? Perhaps the wrong time of year to be doing a business recovery in this sector. Maybe the building/estate still has some value, so owners trying to cut their losses.

Easy to be wise after the event.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Of the 21 schools in Suffolk that are rated 'inadequate', 19 are run by academies and 2 by the local authority. I suspect that the pay and benefits packages of those heading the academies are eye-wateringly generous.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

London is often described as a soulless, unfriendly place, where no one has any time for their fellow beings. I have to say that I have not in general found that to be the case - though doubtless it was back in the day - but that, on the contrary, more often than not a smile elicits similar from passing strangers, and staff in retailers. From my experience around here, I am certain this is not merely a requirement of their employment, but genuine warmth ... and it extends even to the big megastores. People remember: "It is two, as usual?" asks Luba, the Ukraineian woman on what I call the Lottery counter, referring to my vapes.

These people deal with thousands of stony-faced customers every day. Take just now. In the local Sainsbury's a woman behind me in the checkout queue asked unbidden if I always used a shopping list. I answered in the affirmative, adding that I kept a wodge of old paper strips by the kitchen door clipped topgether for listing items I needed to remember on my next shopping trip. "Sainsbury's and other supermarket bills used to serve well for the purpose", I said, "until they all started printing them on the back as well as the front". At which point the checkout lady said, "Oh that's no problem; here you are, love", pressing a button on the machine that delivers the bill to unfurl a couple of metres of unprinted invoice, which she then tore off and handed to me!

I have a theory - which I won't bore you with the details - that London has actually become a more friendly city as it has become more multiculturalised.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Nah. When I were a lad, in Penge, the front door was always off the latch during the day and flok would be in and out all day. There was always a cup of tea ready when the coalman or Corona lorry turned up. Perhaps there have been fallow years in between, having moved out of London in the late '50s, but I have always found a smile tends to get reciprocated, no matter where (even in Yorkshire ).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Nah. When I were a lad, in Penge, the front door was always off the latch during the day and flok would be in and out all day. There was always a cup of tea ready when the coalman or Corona lorry turned up. Perhaps there have been fallow years in between, having moved out of London in the late '50s, but I have always found a smile tends to get reciprocated, no matter where (even in Yorkshire ).
                              Cruel!

People here MUCH friendlier than where I used to live.
                              If you smiled at someone there, they probably thought you'd escaped from somewhere and should be put back inside!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                Cruel!

People here MUCH friendlier than where I used to live.
                                If you smiled at someone there, they probably thought you'd escaped from somewhere and should be put back inside!
                                In Bristol I remember an innocent bus stop smile being reciprocated with "Wot smatter with thee? Fancy I or summat?"

Comment

Working...
                                X