• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    So not just your ears/hearing playing up?

There's that too. Obviously my hearing is not acute at the moment, everything is muffled. I do try not to let it compromise my guitar playing though, but probably my blocked ears and manky strings meant the last few videos of myself sound a bit crap, even though my technique is better than a month ago and I can manage a quicker tempo...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

There's that too. Obviously my hearing is not acute at the moment, everything is muffled. I do try not to let it compromise my guitar playing though, but probably my blocked ears and manky strings meant the last few videos of myself sound a bit crap, even though my technique is better than a month ago and I can manage a quicker tempo...
      With ears blocked, I would think your guitar tone must sound more Pat Metheny than John Scofield!

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        With ears blocked, I would think your guitar tone must sound more Pat Metheny than John Scofield!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Ah, Pat Metheney, legend!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Anyone else like Pat Matheney?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Help please. Was someone having a problem with ear wax and had it cleared with microsuction?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                Anyone else like Pat Matheney?
                I quite like Pat Metheny!

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Help please. Was someone having a problem with ear wax and had it cleared with microsuction?
                  I have that problem. I saw the doctor today and soon should have it cleared by microsuction - never had it done before, though.

I also like Pat Metheny!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    I have that problem. I saw the doctor today and soon should have it cleared by microsuction - never had it done before, though.

I also like Pat Metheny!
                    It's fine as long as you request the doctor to make sure your brains aren't also sucked out out under the treatment!

Comment

• Pianorak
                      • Nov 2010

I have had it done and would recommend it, although the more conventional syringing works just as well for me. To help to reduce the need for either I regularly use Otex or Cerumol. The latter is more effective but unfortunately contains oil of Turpentine BP - an acquired scent.
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                        I have had it done and would recommend it, although the more conventional syringing works just as well for me. To help to reduce the need for either I regularly use Otex or Cerumol. The latter is more effective but unfortunately contains oil of Turpentine BP - an acquired scent.
                        Thanks for that Pianorak,

I'm having it done on Saturday but I've decided to go privately. I'm sure someone else here said they had gone down that same route?

I can't bear using ear drops and subsequent water syringing is like torture to me.
                        Last edited by Stanfordian; 01-10-19, 15:10.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                          I have to say I've tried obtaining either Otex or Cerumol at a number of local chemists, only to be told they would not dispense either product unless I first consulted my doctor. In the past the doctor has always said, you can get Otex or Cerumol over the counter to deal with earwax problems. In the end I've just given up: if the problem becomes intolerable or exacerbated by earache I shall just go to the doc.

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

I'm having it done on Saturday but I've decided to go privately. . .
                            I have had the microsuction done privately involving a trip to Oxford, but syringing I can get done at my GP's on the NHS. Anyway, good luck!

S_A - No problem getting Otex from the local Boots, and Cerumol I got at Lloyds Pharmacy which unfortunately has now closed.

PS. Has anyone had microsuction done on the NHS?
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

MY GP surgery doesn't deal with earwax problems anymore which, given that my ears are causing problems(which I assume are wax related) I can't ignore for much longer, is tiresome. I've been given a leaflet which says to apply olive oil 3 x per day for 2 weeks and book an appointment with the Practice Nurse to check the state of play at the end of that time. If there's still a problem you 'will be offered a referral' for microsuction at one of 2 health centres, one about 35 miles away which is completely beyond my driving limits these days, the other of which, at somewhat less than half the distance, is beyond comfortable(winding country lanes rather than distance per se)but just about possible on a good day. So probably time to look for private options in the city which is closer and more accessible - may be possible to bus.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Thanks for that Pianorak,

I'm having it done on Saturday but I've decided to go privately. I'm sure someone else here said they had gone down that same route?

I can't bear using ear drops and subsequent water syringing is like torture to me.
                                I mentioned going private to my doctor, but she's put me in touch with Redditch and Bromsgrove Ear Clearance Service, which I don't think is private (and which means a trip for me into Bromsgrove).

I was told the last time I had my ears syringed to not have it done again. So, it's microsuction this time. I was also told that, to avoid wax build-up in the ears, I should use ear drops once a week, but I haven't been doing that. I think I'll start doing that now.

BTW the piece of paper about microsuction I was given suggests that you use ear drops twice a day for two weeks in advance of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X