Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Can I suggest board members investigate vitamin supplements - I take a prescribed multi-vitamin, Vitamin D and zinc as I have a recurring deficiency. I'm convinced, from comparison with those arounde me, I suffer less virus illnesses and they have less impact when I am affected. (I also have annual blood tests - I think care is needed with the oil based vitamins as they can be harmful in excess). Obviously for a start, someone under treatment can raise the issue with a doctor.
    Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 15-10-17, 12:12.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      I have Shingles now!!!! Seems to me that my low immunity is telling me just that! All I need!
      I am very sorry to hear that. I do hop you have a sensible doctor. Apparently, there is nothing to cure singles but there are ways of making it less painful. Have a plenty of rest, eat well, and get well soon.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
        Can I suggest board members investigate vitamin supplements - I take a prescribed multi-vitamin, Vitamin D and zinc as I have a recurring deficiency. I'm convinced, from comparison with those arounde me, I suffer less virus illnesses and they have less impact when I am affected. (I also have annual blood tests - I think care is needed with the oil based vitamins as they can be harmful in excess). Obviously for a start, someone under treatment can raise the issue with a doctor.
        For a while I was influenced by talk of zinc as a preventative for colds. I started taking daily zinc supplements. However, I stopped when I read this and related warnings. Better, as you imply, to progress in consultation with a medical professional than to self-medicate.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

I take a preparation called ADCAL, from the pharmacy with no side effects but yes, to be treated with caution. However, there is an issue I think - for example the mineral and vitamin content of foods have declined over the decades - for example from the time when the nutritional tables were first compiled.

Also, in relation to viruses - I've used Sambucol to ward off / limit virus infections over the years -

There are trials details for it -

As it’s a standardised form of elderberry linctus - a folk remedy over the centuries, I've been meaning to harvest them from the hedgerows to make my own, but never got round to it. So for the moment its rather pricey small bottles from health shops. Folk remedy - I suggest in itself nothing the worse for that - given that the active ingredients of herbs and plants have been the basis of many a pharmaceutical innovation.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I am on medication for it but can't remember the name. begins with A!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

I am on medication for it but can't remember the name. begins with A!
              Possibly aciclovir.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Possibly aciclovir.
                That's the one. Thanks Bryn!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  For a while I was influenced by talk of zinc as a preventative for colds. I started taking daily zinc supplements. However, I stopped when I read this and related warnings.
                  I've taken a Boots' 'sustained release' vitamin C/zinc capsule most days for years. Doesn't seem to have done any harm, and as the last cold I had was in September 2012, I don't intend to stop!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I've taken a Boots' 'sustained release' vitamin C/zinc capsule most days for years. Doesn't seem to have done any harm, and as the last cold I had was in September 2012, I don't intend to stop!
                    That sounds interesting, Cali. Hmmm... Octobeer is looking like a bad month.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

That sounds interesting, Cali. Hmmm... Octobeer is looking like a bad month.
                      Make sure, though, that you check with your GP before popping into Boots, Bbm - most vitamin supplements are OK with chemotherapy, but some can cause side-effects (and others are neutralised by the chemo drugs).
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Octobeer is looking like a bad month.
                        How so, Bbm? Surely with an ale in the month it can't be too bad?
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Well with shingles etc, anteb's for my cellulitis in my right leg, I think It wont be.
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

There seems to be a trend this year for "Octoberfests" in towns near me - beer (in 1/3 pint measures) and lederhosened oom-pah bands all over the show. "Octobeer" is a much better name, I think!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Well, I thought I'd have a look at this thread (after some years) and I now feel ill.

As someone who was born with a cold I've never shaken off, I find the best answer is huge amounts of vitamin C, which I usually take as orange juice - litres of it. Did you know that most mammals (your pet dog or cat, for instance) can produce their own vitamin C. In us and other primates that part of our DNA has been switched off.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                beer (in 1/3 pint measures)
                                1/3 pint??? That's less then 200 mls!!! Call that a drink??? Wimps, all of you! Order a Maß! Don't drink unless you're thirsty!

(have we arrived on the wrong sub-forum?)

Comment

Working...
                                X