Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Don't want to overload the personal testimonies, but.... I've been progressively complaining at eye tests of my struggle to read vocal scores (partly I was worried it wasn't only the eyesight, but further down the line - slowing down of reaction and "processing" the information). Also, in the context of the very annoying faintly printed scores nowadays (take a bow New Novello Editions - I seek out the previous editions) and poor lighting in rehearsal venues. I was told about 5 years ago I had the start of Cataracts - I had the "photo" of the back of the eye taken as well- but that it was a waiting game, no point even writing to the GP. In July the optician said the worst Cataract was, unusually, developing from the centre outwards, and it was now relevant to advise the GP.
    I was lucky to live within striking distance of a Moorfields outstation at Potters Bar Hospital and I can't speak highly enough of it. I'm in my early 60's and many of the patients in the waiting areas were considerably older. I asked whether there would be any degradation in eyesight or the lenses as I got older, and I was told there is no downside to going early - only the usual risk of any invasive procedure. I was delighted to be allowed local anaesthetic as it takes me quite some time to feel 100% after general anaesthetic. I just found a bit metalwork to grasp (very) firmly to distract from the sensation of movement and fluid washing the eye. It was painless and quite quick.

I've had both eyes done, 3 months apart, and the improvement in clarity is very marked. When driving at night, now I don't experience the blinding wall of light from oncoming cars. In discussion, I chose a lens for long sight - when driving I don't have to wear glasses. I use Bifocals day to day, as I did before, but with a new prescription. The medic told me I could have different glasses for close work - for example one pair to suit the distance from a computer screen if I did a lot of work with IT, or a pair for even closer work if, say, I worked as a jeweller.

Music is much clearer and new lens have solved any problems in that respect (until increasing years catch up with me, though, I'm sure). The biggest revelation on the first day without the eye guard (op +2days) was the detail of the leaves on the tree and shrubs in the garden when opening the curtains, followed by the shock of very distinct grey and white hairs in what I had thought was a generally soft grey head of hair, and the same clarity for the wrinkles!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      What would scare me would be having to lie stock still on the slab, not moving an eyeball, for the entire duration of the op!
      You know what it's like at the opticians sitting you chin on a rest and doing all those eye tests? With a cataract operation the situation is really not that much different.

Here's what happens. First, you go to the opthalmology department at your local hospital and are given a quick eye test and some drops which take a while to work. Once in the operating room a small clamp is placed on your eye, but you don't feel it. Considering that the area of action is so tiny it's a bit of a surprise to have a huge piece of equipment over your head like something from Star Wars, but all you see and hear is some rather pretty flashing lights and a few whistles.

Ten minutes later they send you home with an eye patch to protect you. Removing it the following day shows an amazingly colourful world!

For years your natural lens has been going yellow, but the new lens lets the UV through, making blues extraordinarily vivid. Nobody should fear having cataract surgery, it really is amazingly simple for you in the hands of experts with a wonderful procedure at their disposal.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Thanks FF for those comments.

Changing the subject, I would lover to go to The Whit Friday Contests were held yesterday evening. Villages around Saddleworth etc, were bedecked with bunting and loads of onlookers, as well. Gets popular every year.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          You know what it's like at the opticians sitting you chin on a rest and doing all those eye tests? With a cataract operation the situation is really not that much different.

Here's what happens. First, you go to the opthalmology department at your local hospital and are given a quick eye test and some drops which take a while to work. Once in the operating room a small clamp is placed on your eye, but you don't feel it. Considering that the area of action is so tiny it's a bit of a surprise to have a huge piece of equipment over your head like something from Star Wars, but all you see and hear is some rather pretty flashing lights and a few whistles.

Ten minutes later they send you home with an eye patch to protect you. Removing it the following day shows an amazingly colourful world!

For years your natural lens has been going yellow, but the new lens lets the UV through, making blues extraordinarily vivid. Nobody should fear having cataract surgery, it really is amazingly simple for you in the hands of experts with a wonderful procedure at their disposal.
          Most reassuring that, for which thanks from me too, Ff.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Went for my general check up, today, to see how things are. Still at risk of infection, and blood count still low. have to be regularly monitored every six weeks. At least I am not too bad but could be better!
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Went for my general check up, today, to see how things are. Still at risk of infection, and blood count still low. have to be regularly monitored every six weeks. At least I am not too bad but could be better!
              More or less the exact comment that I received on every school report from aged five to sixteen, Bbm.

Onn'ards & Upp'ards, old chum
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                More or less the exact comment that I received on every school report from aged five to sixteen, Bbm.

Hmmm yes, like me!! Indeed Onwards and upwards!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

I once attained the highest marks in a geography exam and the teacher's remark on the school report was "He was top of the class, in spite of himself!" My mother went mad and challenged the teacher about it at parents evening!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    I once attained the highest marks in a geography exam and the teacher's remark on the school report was "He was top of the class, in spite of himself!" My mother went mad and challenged the teacher about it at parents evening!
                    One of my English report entries just said, "Spasmodic and bizarre". My Dad reacted with "What the hell's that supposed to mean?"

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

One of my English report entries just said, "Spasmodic and bizarre". My Dad reacted with "What the hell's that supposed to mean?"

Me parents and I had to grapple with a Divinity (don't supoose that is a subject now) report that included
                      " He treats this subject with a gay insouciance". We had to get the dictionary out for that one.

The one I was more delighted with though was the headmasters comment on what was actually a reasonable report for once :
                      " A good terms work, But I wish TS would try to look more like a serious student, and less like a football supporter".
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

It might be useful to remember that, for teachers, there are only really three types of Report:

This child is good at this subject

This child is bad at this subject

Remind me what this child looks like again, would you.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Me parents and I had to grapple with a Divinity (don't supoose that is a subject now) report that included
                          " He treats this subject with a gay insouciance". We had to get the dictionary out for that one.

The one I was more delighted with though was the headmasters comment on what was actually a reasonable report for once :
                          " A good terms work, But I wish TS would try to look more like a serious student, and less like a football supporter".

Gay insouciance would probably not be allowed to be written today, but they got your career profile right, then!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

It might be useful to remember that, for teachers, there are only really three types of Report:

This child is good at this subject

This child is bad at this subject

Remind me what this child looks like again, would you.
                            "Could do better" always invited the response, "could do worse"!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

The one that both delighted and appalled me most was at Christmas in my third-year sixth:

[Pulcinella] has lost nothing in attempting to gain a place at Oxford.

By the time I read that, I was able to stick the proverbial two fingers up to skool, who had got me into a humiliating experience at my second set of interviews (at which I found out that I had my college place) for an organ scholarship by not letting me know (perhaps I should have twigged, but....) that there was a set piece I was supposed to have learned to play!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

"Could do better" always invited the response, "could do worse"!
                                More of a challenge than an "invitation" to do so!

Comment

Working...
                                X