Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

....you'll be lucky getting a nutshell all of your own from the NHS these days....austerity....

....good luck bbm
    bong ching

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

To the world he is one.

To us he is the world.

Good luck Maestro.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Again many thanks. hopefully I'll be able to post via being in hospital!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          To the world he is one.

To us he is the world.

Good luck Maestro.

All the best for the coming weeks!

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Best wishes from me too Bbm.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Pardon me for barging in on this thread with a personal announcement but I wasn't sure where I should put it. I never thought I would say or write these words, but I've just put the finishing touches to my Symphony no.1!

Over the years I've become tired of all the insinuations that I could never write a memorable tune, or a fugue, or orchestrate in a practical and mellifluous sort of way, so I decided it was time to prove the naysayers wrong. This new Symphony (in D major!) is cast in the traditional four movements although one inevitable aleatoric touch is that the two central movements can be played in either order (actually I just couldn't decide which order they should be in - that will give people something to argue about!), and another experimental feature is that the Finale has deliberately been left in an incomplete form, so that performers can decide whether to end it with an affirmative peroration or as a fragment that peters out inconclusively.

Look out for the upcoming Proms prospectus - I think there might be a surprise in store...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                Pardon me for barging in on this thread with a personal announcement but I wasn't sure where I should put it. I never thought I would say or write these words, but I've just put the finishing touches to my Symphony no.1!

Over the years I've become tired of all the insinuations that I could never write a memorable tune, or a fugue, or orchestrate in a practical and mellifluous sort of way, so I decided it was time to prove the naysayers wrong. This new Symphony (in D major!) is cast in the traditional four movements although one inevitable aleatoric touch is that the two central movements can be played in either order (actually I just couldn't decide which order they should be in - that will give people something to argue about!), and another experimental feature is that the Finale has deliberately been left in an incomplete form, so that performers can decide whether to end it with an affirmative peroration or as a fragment that peters out inconclusively.

Look out for the upcoming Proms prospectus - I think there might be a surprise in store...
                Many congratulations Richard Barrett! No need to apologise for barging in. It's exactly what this thread is all about. General chat. absolutely anything and everything(within reason, ofcourse!)
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Just because you failed to name them such does not mean you have not already composed and had performed several symphonies. Are you playing at Bruckner by calling this new product "no. 1", or is it just that no one will ever hear it?

Please do not take the above comments as sounding too sharp.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    or is it just that no one will ever hear it?
                    I'll let you be the judge of that.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

I'll let you be the judge of that.
                      Well at least you have it behind you now and can get on with fishing out a string quartet.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Over the years I've become tired of all the insinuations that I could never write a memorable tune, or a fugue, or orchestrate in a practical and mellifluous sort of way, so I decided it was time to prove the naysayers wrong.
                        I cannot for the life of me imagine who those naysayers would be; not I, for starters!

This new Symphony (in D major!) is cast in the traditional four movements although one inevitable aleatoric touch is that the two central movements can be played in either order (actually I just couldn't decide which order they should be in - that will give people something to argue about!)
                        Well, that's perhaps a more understandable reason than deciding on one order and then changing it after conducting the first rehearsals.

and another experimental feature is that the Finale has deliberately been left in an incomplete form, so that performers can decide whether to end it with an affirmative peroration or as a fragment that peters out inconclusively.
                        Will Peters be publishing it?

Well, that'll make a refreshing change.

But now that you've completed this titanic accomplishment, I've no doubt that you'll be resurrecting all the rest of your symphonic gifts and going forward with a series of symphonies; this will be something to which you will doubtless find yourself unable to say "NO!" - and it won't be a vanity exercise, either, but the real thing. Who knows? You might well end up having made as many contributions to Welsh symphonic art as Hoddinott - or even manage to keep up with the Jones! In either case, you'll have composed more symphonies than David Matthews!

Congratulations - and how timely for you to make this announcement on the joint birthday of Busoni and Rachmaninoff!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

when I first read RB post I thought perhaps it was an April Fools joke and the comments about ordering of inner movements and the incomplete finale were sly digs at Mahler 6 and Bruckner 9, but if that is not the case, I offer congratulations.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Well at least you have it behind you now and can get on with fishing out a string quartet.
                            First I have to finish my opera based on Fifty Shades of Grey unfortunately. (oops, 7 minutes late with that one.)

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

(oops, 7 minutes late with that one.)
                              Not if we work with GMT, rather than BST, (not an allusion to Bovine somatotropin, or indeed anything else bovine).

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                                • Jan 2016

rather than BST
                                Actually I'm on UTC+2 so it was even worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X