• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Unfortunately we live in a throw-away society, people don't get their washing machine mended, they just buy a new one. It's partly a question of re-eduction isn't it?
    Well, the manufacturers need re-educating as much as anyone. Our old washing machine would have cost £20 more to repair than it would to replace with a brand new machine, so we replaced. (We did recycle the old one.)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      The report quoted says 6 million electrical items (half of which still work) are thrown away in the UK annually.

You can now dispose of these to some charity shops, they're tested and certified before being sold in the shop. OK, it's a small step but in the last couple of months I've brought (from our local Red Cross Shop) three tablelamps and a small portable cd player/radio. They regularly have on sale food processors, juicers, slowcookers, some fairly serious stereo systems, etc. I think some charities, such as the Sue Ryder Foundation, take white goods.

Unfortunately we live in a throw-away society, people don't get their washing machine mended, they just buy a new one. It's partly a question of re-eduction isn't it? Recycle, don't dump.
      I picked up a radio alarm and table lamp just dumped in our rubbish bins, presumably by another resident. I presume that the radio alarm had been dispensed with because its owner didn't know how to programme it, which proved quite a job without the handbook, though the product was in perfect order and has served me well now for 5 years. The table lamp only needed a new plug fuse. I often wonder what the previous owners would think if they came here and saw these items in my flat: I'm betting they wouldn't say a thing! I also picked up a stereo radio plus record player and double cassette player which had been dumped in a nearby wood. Its top was caved in and someone had taken a hammer to the buttons on the front, but apart from having slugs and woodlice crawling all over and inside, after repairs in a local shop costing a tenner to get the illuminated indicator up, it was in perfect working order. People throw stuff out when they think something better's come on the market; I've now had four chuck-out TVs in the same period of time.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

does anybody know why tickets don't seem to be on sale for concerts on May 7 and 10 2015 at the RFH?

doesn't seem to say sold out, doesn't give a "booking opens" date.

Maybe a computer glitch?

Who knows, with their site.........

Incidentally, a thumbs up for customer service at the Anvil in Basingstoke. I inadvertently double booked myself, (doh!!) and they swapped my ticket for one from the same classical series. No charge either, and all done with good grace.
        Last edited by teamsaint; 23-07-14, 16:47.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          does anybody know why tickets don't seem to be on sale for concerts on May 7 and 10 2015 at the RFH?

doesn't seem to say sold out, doesn't give a "booking opens" date.

Maybe a computer glitch?

Who knows, with their site.........

Incidentally, a thumbs up for customer service at the Anvil in Basingstoke. I inadvertently double booked myself, (doh!!) and they swapped my ticket for one from the same classical series. No charge either, and all done with good grace.
          That's an odd one & no mistake, teams

I saw/heard Petrenko conduct the National Youth Orchestra inMahler symphony no 10 (D Cooke performing arrangement) aa few seasons ago and it made a sufficiently good impression to make me want to go & hear it all again with the Philharmonia so I do hope tickets are available on sale in good time :

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            That's an odd one & no mistake, teams

I saw/heard Petrenko conduct the National Youth Orchestra inMahler symphony no 10 (D Cooke performing arrangement) aa few seasons ago and it made a sufficiently good impression to make me want to go & hear it all again with the Philharmonia so I do hope tickets are available on sale in good time :
            I did notice that on one of the concerts a soloist was yet to be announced, so maybe that has summat to do with it.

Would very much like to hear the Mahler 10, (and in fact the DSCH 5 as well), and With your recommendation its on a "must do" list !!

Will just have to keep an eye open. I notice there are a good number of tix available for Barenboim also in May, so The Petrenko concerts are surely not sold out?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• amateur51

I did notice that on one of the concerts a soloist was yet to be announced, so maybe that has summat to do with it.

Would very much like to hear the Mahler 10, (and in fact the DSCH 5 as well), and With your recommendation its on a "must do" list !!

Will just have to keep an eye open. I notice there are a good number of tix available for Barenboim also in May, so The Petrenko concerts are surely not sold out?
              Puzzle solved.

The tickets go on sale on 29 September 2014

Browse Philharmonia online concerts and live events in London, across the UK and internationally

Soloist is Till Fellner

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Puzzle solved.

Browse Philharmonia online concerts and live events in London, across the UK and internationally

Soloist is Till Fellner
                Ah excellent work there Ams. Top of class.
                Hope to make that one. never heard Till Felner live , but TS Jnr#3 has turned for him, so he's a favourite round here anyway.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Puzzle solved.

Soloist is Till Fellner
                  Bloody tempting concert, that one!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Bloody tempting concert, that one!
                    I can feel a Forum charabanc outing coming on - will Carmody be available to do the honours in the Hispano-Suiza Cali?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I can feel a Forum charabanc outing coming on - will Carmody be available to do the honours in the Hispano-Suiza Cali?
                      I'll ask Jitters to check the appointments diary.

If so, I'll have Carmody service the old girl and sharpen the front bumper-ends to deal with the beastly inter-movement clappers, premature cheerers and compulsive coughers....

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Gorgeous.

....and what a wonderfully appropriate registration plate !!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Gorgeous.

....and what a wonderfully appropriate registration plate !!
                          The thought had occurred!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Forum charabanc outing
                            On second thoughts, I think there'd be more room in the J12....

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

of course, if we ever plan a forum camping trip, we could always hire something like one of these....

It would be suitable. I know, I've experienced it !!

Comment

• amateur51

of course, if we ever plan a forum camping trip, we could always hire something like one of these....

It would be suitable. I know, I've experienced it !!
                                Is that a Hamstrung-Sidney teams?

Comment

Working...
                                X