Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angle
    • Dec 2010

Let's hope he'll be our first openly gay monarch and that he can have a nice same-sex marriage under the new regulations. It'll be quite a delight watching the CoE working out how to respond to that
    Edward II was open enough for his time, it seems.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Angle View Post
      Edward II was open enough for his time, it seems.
      And much good did it do him

I think we can agree that the term 'gay' as it is understood today did not exist in his time.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

William Rufus, Richard coeur de Lyon, Edward II, James I, William III,the gay or sexually ambiguous tally for the royals seems quite high, doesn't it? Perhaps on twenty years or so the newby will spend a spell in the armed forces, and end up marrying a nice cavalry officer. Will they adopt ?

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Edward II, hmm I rather preferred Edward I, (although both Plantagenets! )
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Edward II, hmm I rather preferred Edward I, (although both Plantagenets! )
            No doubt it's those long legs.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              No doubt it's those long legs.
              Edward II was sandwiched in between I and III, who were stronger. I mean, E II's wife(Queen Isabella), took the throne from her husband!!
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• greenilex
                • Nov 2010

As for George and the Cavalry Officer, don't you think a future with a horse is much more attractive? Apparently our totem animal.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                  As for George and the Cavalry Officer, don't you think a future with a horse is much more attractive? Apparently our totem animal.
                  My kingdom for a horse!

Comment

• Boilk
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Let's hope he'll be our first openly gay monarch and that he can have a nice same-sex marriage under the new regulations. It'll be quite a delight watching the CoE working out how to respond to that
                    Does that mean an adopted child inherits the throne, or will the accession continue courtesy of a surrogate mother?

I suspect that sometime this century we will cease to be a self-governing sovereign state (25% there already) so the monarchy will be yet more irrelevant/even dissolved by the early 22nd century when George's offspring would be heirs.

Comment

• Beef Oven

For those of you that thought the EU dictat on car insurance was bad, take a look at this.

The EU investment bank's decision to fund the removal of Ford's Transit production from historic Southampton to Istanbul Turkey (non EU member due to poor record on human rights etc) becomes real. A sad day http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-23432322

Comment

• Angle
                        • Dec 2010

I think we can agree that the term 'gay' as it is understood today did not exist in his time.
                        .. and probably not even when you were a boy, Ams. 'Tis another of those American interferences with English.

By the way, a sports presenter on BBC News today said that some had "gifted" a goal to the opponents.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Gets rather annoying a t times when what happens in America, happens over here. I seem to think at times we are the USA's 53rd State!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                            .. and probably not even when you were a boy, Ams. 'Tis another of those American interferences with English.

By the way, a sports presenter on BBC News today said that some had "gifted" a goal to the opponents.
                            I always rather like it when Sir Bufton Tufton goes into one about "these modern chaps who've appropriated a perfectly good word like gay to mean something that is sickening and depraved to all right-thinking
                            etc etc".

I can think of at least a dozen words* that have been used as slang to mean what is now known as 'gay' which he'd never object to in a month of Sundays

* House Rules prevent me from giving vent to them but send me a PM and I'll do you proud

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

What a gay day!!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                What a gay day!!
                                Were you a fan of the late great William White of Nuneaton then, Bbm?

The Weatherspoons in Nunny was named after him

Comment

Working...
                                X