X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Ein blutig Eisen

Amazing big red full moon tonight low in the sky. Cycling back from choir practice I couldn't help thinking of Wozzeck wading into the lake.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I missed the reference and thought this was the frustrated golfers' thread ("mein blutig Eisen"?) - but maybe they don't use 'Eisen' like that...

There was an article a couple of days ago about the size of the moon at the moment - the 'supermoon'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for that link. It was so striking that I called my wife out to have a look at it.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Even if the moon is around the present time pretty much the closest it gets to Earth, I don't think that's what causes it to appear so large. I don't know if it's just an optical illusion, or if there are real optical effects, but a full moon often appears much bigger as it comes up over the horizon, with perhaps a few houses and trees to set it off. If it is also reddish due to sunset effects that may also increase the effect. High in the sky it never seems so impressive.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Even if the moon is around the present time pretty much the closest it gets to Earth, I don't think that's what causes it to appear so large. I don't know if it's just an optical illusion, or if there are real optical effects, but a full moon often appears much bigger as it comes up over the horizon, with perhaps a few houses and trees to set it off. If it is also reddish due to sunset effects that may also increase the effect. High in the sky it never seems so impressive.
          I read somewhere that it seems larger as it rises or sets because we see it then in relation to the landscape, whereas when it's high in the sky we don't. I saw it on Sunday and even a day past full it was an impressive sight. The redness I think is caused by dust and other atmospheric pollutants. As it rises, there's a lot more atmosphere between us and it.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I missed the reference and thought this was the frustrated golfers' thread ("mein blutig Eisen"?) - but maybe they don't use 'Eisen' like that...
            ... on the other hand......

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I should point out that this shot cost the player the competition.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
              I read somewhere that it seems larger as it rises or sets because we see it then in relation to the landscape, whereas when it's high in the sky we don't. I saw it on Sunday and even a day past full it was an impressive sight. The redness I think is caused by dust and other atmospheric pollutants. As it rises, there's a lot more atmosphere between us and it.
              Quite, but I don't believe everything I read. I suspect there are real optical refractive effects if the moon is close to the horizon, though there may also be perceptual effects.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Well, as the article says:

"She suggested it might be possible to dispel the illusion by turning away from the Moon, bending over and looking at the sky from between your legs."

Have we all tried this?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  "She suggested it might be possible to dispel the illusion by turning away from the Moon, bending over and looking at the sky from between your legs."

Have we all tried this?
                  Yes; but the Judge didn't believe me.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Comment

Working...
                      X