• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Britain's Got Bullies

Any sign of this story on the BBC News website yet?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

?

An "uncomfortable" report on behaviour at the BBC finds incidents of sexual harassment are rare, but says bullying is much more prominent.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

If you think the BBC is bad, try the NHS...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Fair enough, that was the story about the original publication on 2 May. No point in going over it again just because there's an updated angle

"There is huge pressure on costs, redundancies, you have a lot of insecure, stressed people, a high risk of bullying behaviour," Rose said, speaking at Britain's Got Bullies, an event in London on Tuesday organised by broadcasting union Bectu.

""A lot are obvious features of an industry with people on very short-term contracts, four to six months, desperate to get another job, while there are 15 others who want your job at the same time."

"It's about not treating people as disposable, the way you speak," Rose added. She said some of the BBC emails she had seen were couched in "very confrontational language". "
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

my family has bullies in it ..... what is clear is that AUNT does not deal with bullies ....

actually i am coming to believe that Britain has been run by psychopaths and bullies since the Norman invasion, never recovered from it ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2007

I worked for someone ages ago who met the exact dictionary definition of a workplace pyschopath so this does not surprise me in the slightest.
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              my family has bullies in it ..... what is clear is that AUNT does not deal with bullies ....

actually i am coming to believe that Britain has been run by psychopaths and bullies since the Norman invasion, never recovered from it ....
              Jazzer , did you not know that they built lovely strong castles, and got rid of chaos by brining in the Feudal system and ......Oh...........

mind you the Romans were great , they invaded us and, um, took our stuff, and um...

Right, need to read up on this.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                I worked for someone ages ago who met the exact dictionary definition of a workplace pyschopath so this does not surprise me in the slightest.
                Anyone who works in an office will recognise the type. British management are thugs in suits.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

That's no way to talk about the P.M.

Comment

• amateur51

You refer to Norman Tebbitt, Calum? - who even as I write is probably taking legal advice concerning whether or, not when equal marriage is made legal, he may marry his son for tax avoidance purposes

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

Is everybody at the corporation on short-term contracts. Is this a practice peculiar to the BBC. just asking.
                      15 people wanting every job. are there too many media graduates. and yet we have to import doctors and nurses.
                      Last edited by mercia; 20-06-13, 08:24.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        Is everybody at the corporation on short-term contracts. Is this a practice peculiar to the BBC. just asking.
                        15 people wanting every job. are there too many media graduates. and yet we have to import doctors and nurses.
                        I think it depends on your employment status. Controllers, for example, used to be on 5 year contracts but I think most presenters are freelance rather than staffers, probably on shorter contracts, which I suppose is why reference was made to the stars who increase the ratings.

Add: I was told that the BBC wasn't keen on recruiting media studies graduates anyway. They wanted people with wider experience whom they could train from scratch in how they wanted things done.

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

Short term contracts, casual contracts, zero hours contracts are becoming common in every sector.

Comment

• amateur51

It's not just Britain that has bullies. I listened to a documentary by Lucy Ash about two tyre factories in Amiens, France early this morning on BBC World Service. This article covers the same basic ground ...

Comment

Working...
                            X