• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    No chance of my doing a Roehre or Am51 but a scaling down seems right somehow. The end of day posts when I feel tired are a concern as I am up at 6am and don't get back in until over 12 hours later. A CD programme and it's bedtime whereupon the cycle starts all over again. Retiring at the end of next year so expect the situation to improve.
    Sounds like a very challenging lifestyle there Pet but hopefully during the weekend perhaps we will see you more often? Do rather like seeing you concert programmes.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post

I’d say no need to make a ‘big’ decision, just post as and when you can.
      I have for some time considered leaving the Forum. My interest in Radio Three has now dwindled to very few programmes, none of which are broadcast before lunchtime. Of course there are good concert relays, but France Musique presents just as many, and Iplayer, to which I can obtain access through some clever technology (certainly not my cleverness) gives me access to the BBC. Moreover Carrefour de L'Odeon is In Tune with more intelligent waffling. Also (I hesitate to raise a subject that may get me expelled) my interest in the U.K. has, through no fault of my own and because of recent events become rather peripheral. I've written you off as hopeless, and, to be honest, peripheral, more or less. However I think I will post as and when I can, if a particular subject (such as Bruckner 6) piques my interest.

N.B. re "recent events". Cave Hostem.
      Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 07-01-18, 12:44. Reason: grammar, as usual. (the sort of thing up with which grammarians do not put)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        Sounds like a very challenging lifestyle there Pet but hopefully during the weekend perhaps we will see you more often? Do rather like seeing you concert programmes.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Thirded .....

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            It is a very challenging lifestyle and it's one that needs to change. Weekends are all too often taken up with endless shopping, housework and catching up with friends/relatives and though I have access to the Forum on my mobile phone it's a terrible faff around trying to post.

The concert programmes won't change though as they have formed the backbone of my life long before the Forum existed.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Fourthed (and I'm another Stravinskyan character scaling my forum activity back somewhat).

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Thirded .....
                Fifthed ...............
                Last edited by Beef Oven!; 07-01-18, 14:38. Reason: someone beat me to fourth

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Fourthed (and I'm another Stravinskyan character scaling my forum activity back somewhat).
                  Please don't!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                    Also (I hesitate to raise a subject that may get me expelled) my interest in the U.K. has, through no fault of my own and because of recent events become rather peripheral. I've written you off as hopeless, and, to be honest, peripheral, more or less.
                    You should be aware that not all contributors to the forum are British and not all those who are actually live in the UK. I find it a bit strange that somehow you seem to be associating the actions of the current British government and its predecessor with members of this forum! That kind of conflation is behind very many of the problems that arise between people from different nations, if you ask me.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                      I find it a bit strange that somehow you seem to be associating the actions of the current British government and its predecessor
                      and its people? Count me in

with members of this forum! That kind of conflation is behind very many of the problems that arise between people from different nations
                      That too …
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

You should be aware that not all contributors to the forum are British and not all those who are actually live in the UK. I find it a bit strange that somehow you seem to be associating the actions of the current British government and its predecessor with members of this forum! That kind of conflation is behind very many of the problems that arise between people from different nations, if you ask me.
                        I was thoroughly bewildered by Alain's post. I feel rather as one does when a much-loved family pet, slumbering unnoticed on the hearthrug, suddenly wakes up and bites one in the leg, entirely without provocation.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          I was thoroughly bewildered by Alain's post. I feel rather as one does when a much-loved family pet, slumbering unnoticed on the hearthrug, suddenly wakes up and bites one in the leg, entirely without provocation.
                          I didn't read it that he was attacking the forum … and I sympathised.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

And - as Alain implied - the same applies to Radio 3: once your loyalty is destroyed, you move on elsewhere.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                              • Dec 2010

The "you" is the U.K.: I thought that was clear from my previous sentence, but if not, then I wrote with insufficient clarity and careless syntax. I was not attacking the Forum (although from time to time I have been bitten in the leg by other posters and it stung). Perhaps "written off" is strong, but what seems to have happened in those Isles is that you seem more insular - how could you not? Geography dictates it. Discussion of a certain subject over here has now been relegated well down the pages, we have other much more pressing uncertainties* to worry about.

*Example: how much discussion is there in the U.K. press of the current and probably incendiary border dispute between a country on the edge of the E.U. and one about to join? We see a Casus Belli. You probably feel they are small countries a long way away and of which your people know nothing.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                                • Aug 2015

Isn't "peripheral" being misinterpreted here?

Surely it is a compliment.

Comment

Working...
                                X