X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

No member here is 'banned'. The ultimate sanction is that their account is deleted. If they wish to rejoin, preferably under a different name, they are absolutely free to do so and will not be pursued for that as long as they don't behave in the same way again. The reality is, as RT says, that people tend not to change because their reasons for posting on forums don't change.

It is a characteristic of internet forums that whenever anyone is 'banned' or the equivalent, there will always be a slight chorus of support from those who either have not seen the offensive posts at all or, who (less acceptably, in my view) prefer to turn a blind eye to blatantly offensive behaviour on the grounds that someone also posted very interesting messages.

It is clear from the homepage that posting a message on this forum is taken as acceptance of the Terms and Conditions, which include the House Rules.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      No member here is 'banned'. The ultimate sanction is that their account is deleted. If they wish to rejoin, preferably under a different name, they are absolutely free to do so and will not be pursued for that as long as they don't behave in the same way again. The reality is, as RT says, that people tend not to change because their reasons for posting on forums don't change.

It is a characteristic of internet forums that whenever anyone is 'banned' or the equivalent, there will always be a slight chorus of support from those who either have not seen the offensive posts at all or, who (less acceptably, in my view) prefer to turn a blind eye to blatantly offensive behaviour on the grounds that someone also posted very interesting messages.

It is clear from the homepage that posting a message on this forum is taken as acceptance of the Terms and Conditions, which include the House Rules.
      I'm not turning a blind eye. He's been severely sanctioned, and I agree with that.

And there is no need to trivialise what I said into talking of a return 'because he also posted some very interesting messages'.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
        But he wasn't always like that and he added a great deal to the forum. It's a shame that he can't be invited back.
        Personally speaking I glad he has gone
        and don't think its a shame at all
        I'm too old to have to put up with that level of animosity even if he occasionally managed to say something vaguely interesting

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I'm too old to have to put up with that level of animosity even if he occasionally managed to say something vaguely interesting
          Well fair enough. Maybe you are right and I am wrong. I just believe in giving people a second chance.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Thanks, frenchie. Very clear.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Well fair enough. Maybe you are right and I am wrong. I just believe in giving people a second chance.
              I don't think it's "right" vs "wrong"
              more that I (not anyone else) don't want to waste my time with such folks
              I don't think it's a good thing to facilitate dysfunctional behaviour (over to you mr Clegg !)

Comment

• Beef Oven

I don't think it's "right" vs "wrong"
                more that I (not anyone else) don't want to waste my time with such folks
                I don't think it's a good thing to facilitate dysfunctional behaviour (over to you mr Clegg !)
                I don't mind being called a right wing bully or an ignoramus, but I draw the line at being referred to as a Liberal Democrat!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

I don't mind being called a right wing bully or an ignoramus, but I draw the line at being referred to as a Liberal Democrat!

I'm sorry about that , I was more referring to Cleggs facilitating of Dave and chums

(now for more Salty Codfish ............. and i'll refrain from eulogising how wonderful the Casa de Musica is , here in Porto, as I know that it might stick in the craw a little .....)

(This is probably far to familiar and OT so delete if you like FF )

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Didn't you Brits learn your lesson with Napoleon?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        Didn't you Brits learn your lesson with Napoleon?
                        What - you mean he always kept his hand on his wallet?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

We beat Napolean!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            We beat Napolean!
                            I think richardfinegold is referring to the escape from Elba, the equivalent of Mandy's first return to the forum! Napoleon had a second chance but seized it himself by escaping. The equivalent of french frank in this case, the Congress of Vienna (so it wasn't just us) failed to realise that Napoleon was simply not a gentleman. They made no such mistake the second time, putting him somewhere he couldn't possibly come back from - no chance of opening another account from St Helena, and probably rubbish internet connection. Incidentally while we were fighting Napoleon we were also fighting the USA in a war over blockades and sanctions - one of my US ancestors fought on the US side

Comment

• Beef Oven

I'm sorry about that , I was more referring to Cleggs facilitating of Dave and chums

(now for more Salty Codfish ............. and i'll refrain from eulogising how wonderful the Casa de Musica is , here in Porto, as I know that it might stick in the craw a little .....)

(This is probably far to familiar and OT so delete if you like FF )
                              In Portugal pretending to be working?

How can anyone eulogise about a big cardboard box (it isn't real is it?).

I suppose anyone lacking in taste, capable of buying a Volvo..........

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                We beat Napolean!
                                Twice!

Comment

Working...
                                X