X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I always hope that a reasoned response will be accepted - if it can't be countered with reasoned objections. So far, no luck.

1. I have now spent two and a half days on this disruption, have slept very little, and feel this is no more than bullying by a tiny handful of members.

2. Most forums have a No Politics policy: why should anyone think it unacceptable 'censorship' here?

3. Most forums have house rules: why should this forum not have house rules?

4. If a forum has house rules, why should it not be expected that they will be enforced?

5. If, following an explanation of the rules, a member instantly breaks them again, what would a reasonable reaction be?

6. As can be seen, the disruption is reignited by very few people: most members seem to be trying to return to normal as soon as possible.

7. I have invited those who object to this 'authoritarian' regime to leave, then the majority can continue have their discussions

8. I am perfectly willing - still - to listen to concerns conveyed by Private Message, as required by the house rules, and not debated endlessly on the open forum.

I'm too polite to say any more; the slogan of the forum might well be: For the many, not the few.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I always hope that a reasoned response will be accepted - if it can't be countered with reasoned objections. So far, no luck.

1. I have now spent two and a half days on this disruption, have slept very little, and feel this is no more than bullying by a tiny handful of members.

2. Most forums have a No Politics policy: why should anyone think it unacceptable 'censorship' here?

3. Most forums have house rules: why should this forum not have house rules?

4. If a forum has house rules, why should it not be expected that they will be enforced?

5. If, following an explanation of the rules, a member instantly breaks them again, what would a reasonable reaction be?

6. As can be seen, the disruption is reignited by very few people: most members seem to be trying to return to normal as soon as possible.

7. I have invited those who object to this 'authoritarian' regime to leave, then the majority can continue have their discussions

8. I am perfectly willing - still - to listen to concerns conveyed by Private Message, as required by the house rules, and not debated endlessly on the open forum.

I'm too polite to say any more; the slogan of the forum might well be: For the many, not the few.
      A very measured and reasonable response FF. Sorry to hear you are not sleeping.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

If you look back at the start of that Politics thread it starts with an almost apologetic first post something along the lines of “ I’m not sure politics is allowed “ . It’s then clear that the thread is left up with the moderators’ rider that certain lines should not be transgressed, Clearly in the view of the moderators those lines have been transgressed and they’ve had enough of all the rancour it appears to be causing - a lot I suspect in private messages. They are doing all this for free and why should they have to put up with it?
        I can remember a time when both religion and politics were banned as dinner party conversation ( not that I ever went to any ) because they always led to rows.
        This forum should be about celebrating things like the quite magnificent Alicia de Larrocha recital on Evening Concert last night. So I’m giving it a plug as I suspect more people read this than the Evening concert thread.
        Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 14-11-23, 16:01. Reason: Removal of deleted quote. Otherwise no change to the post.

Comment

• kindofblue
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

If you look back at the start of that Politics thread it starts with an almost apologetic first post something along the lines of “ I’m not sure politics is allowed “ . It’s then clear that the thread is left up with the moderators’ rider that certain lines should not be transgressed, Clearly in the view of the moderators those lines have been transgressed and they’ve had enough of all the rancour it appears to be causing - a lot I suspect in private messages. They are doing all this for free and why should they have to put up with it?
          I can remember a time when both religion and politics were banned as dinner party conversation ( not that I ever went to any ) because they always led to rows.
          This forum should be about celebrating things like the quite magnificent Alicia de Larrocha recital on Evening Concert last night. So I’m giving it a plug as I suspect more people read this than the Evening concert thread.
          Ein Heldenleben speaks heroically. There was, at the last count, roughly a gazillion places online where you can either converse with like-minded political people in a bubble, or rant and rave at people you hate. There is though but one safe place where we can find pleasure, humour, irony and a shared love of music and other arts, and that's here. Let's keep our eyes on the prize.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kindofblue View Post

Ein Heldenleben speaks heroically. There was, at the last count, roughly a gazillion places online where you can either converse with like-minded political people in a bubble, or rant and rave at people you hate. There is though but one safe place where we can find pleasure, humour, irony and a shared love of music and other arts, and that's here. Let's keep our eyes on the prize.
            One of which is the John and Alice Coltrane Composer Of the Week on at the moment which I suspect you will appreciate.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Thank you for that, and for all the messages of support. I feel i have to apologise for all the disruption and general discord which has rocked our forum in the last couple of days. It isn't someting I - or I imagine many here - have welcomed. I hope we can draw a line now under the discussion here and my PM Inbox remains available for anyone to air their views and concerns.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kindofblue
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

One of which is the John and Alice Coltrane Composer Of the Week on at the moment which I suspect you will appreciate.
                Indeed, and how enjoyable and informative that first programme was. Applaud the decision to include Alice. What wonderful music this is.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Anyone wishing to avail themselves of RichardB's considerable contributions to the forum can find them by clicking on his name in the quote at the top of Pulcinella's Message 2494. Enough from me.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Indeed, and how enjoyable and informative that first programme was. Applaud the decision to include Alice. What wonderful music this is.
                    Today’s was tremendous. Almost made up for the time when I bored Ronnie Scott’s drummer witless with my lengthy and ever so slightly drunken criticism of one Coltrane solo. “ That’s funny “ he replied “ Cos he always speaks highly of you. “

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

....inform - educate - entertain....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        ....inform - educate - entertain....
                        ... include...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

....love - honour - obey.... ...........Corinthians 13.4
                          bong ching

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                            • Aug 2014

I was sorry to realise Joseph K and Jayne Lee Wilson are no longer with us. Joseph gave us some wonderful photographs of his walks, and I enjoyed reading all his posts. And Jayne posted some of the most insightful writing on music that I have ever read. Truly missed.

Comment

• mikealdren
                              • Nov 2010

I hadn't realised that we have lost Joseph K, I'm still missing Bryn...... Was JK deemed politically incorrect too?

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                                I hadn't realised that we have lost Joseph K, I'm still missing Bryn...... Was JK deemed politically incorrect too?
                                Nothing to do with being politically incorrect but infringing House Rules. As people say they don't look at the Homepage, only What's New? I was thinking of adding a 'House Rules' button to the navigation bar (next to What's New?) but thought it might be considered a bit aggressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X