• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Well said .....
    Best wishes Lat. I'm going to hear the Unthanks in Seamus Heaney's Place next month. Remember them

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
      This is a terrible shock. I am very sorry I missed her post on the Choir thread. RIP jean.
      I, too, missed that post. How very sad.

Jean is the only contributor to the FoR3 forum that I have met in person. She contacted me while visiting a friend in Exeter, as she was keen to hear Evensong sung by the then newly established girl choristers of Truro Cathedral. We chatted afterwards over a glass or two of dry white in the garden of a wine bar with the east end of the cathedral looming overhead. She seemed a most erudite soul who wore her learning lightly, and she was very appreciative of the girls’ singing and thankful that she had made the effort to venture even further west than Devon. I had been hoping for a return visit one day, but sadly that is not to be.

R.I.P. Jean.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

I've only just caught up with this thread and seen that Lat has left the forum. He was in touch with me a couple of months or so ago enquiring after Stanley Stewart and I was able to update him. I tried contacting him (Lat) again more recently and found that he was no longer accepting PMs. I'm sorry he's left.

I hope Stanley won't mind me posting on the forum, just to let you all know, that he is quite well but is taking a break from forum posting - and internet activity generally. I still take him to the York Recorded Music Society meetings which he enjoys immensely and, indeed, he was there last Saturday and was thrilled with our guest speaker James Murray's presentation on Jerome Kern. Stanley was telling me that Caliban had been in touch with him recently and that he's very appreciative of everyone's concern.

Gavin (aka hmvman)

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
          Best wishes Lat. I'm going to hear the Unthanks in Seamus Heaney's Place next month. Remember them
          Absolutely concur with the wishes towards Lat. Maybe he'll get to see and hear more opera now - and not have to worry about "wasting time" writing here. However, I did find his writing about his travels very entertaining.

I even miss Beefy too - even though he was quite often very provocative. I hope he also is finding better things to do than haunt this place.

It isn't, after all, obligatory to sign up to this board for life.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
            I've only just caught up with this thread and seen that Lat has left the forum. He was in touch with me a couple of months or so ago enquiring after Stanley Stewart and I was able to update him. I tried contacting him (Lat) again more recently and found that he was no longer accepting PMs. I'm sorry he's left.

I hope Stanley won't mind me posting on the forum, just to let you all know, that he is quite well but is taking a break from forum posting - and internet activity generally. I still take him to the York Recorded Music Society meetings which he enjoys immensely and, indeed, he was there last Saturday and was thrilled with our guest speaker James Murray's presentation on Jerome Kern. Stanley was telling me that Caliban had been in touch with him recently and that he's very appreciative of everyone's concern.

Gavin (aka hmvman)
            That is cheering news.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

No one knows the reason why Lats has left?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                I think everyone who saw his last few posts would know.

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                  I think it will be best if it is left as ‘personal reasons’ rather than forum related.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                    I think it will be best if it is left as ‘personal reasons’ rather than forum related.
                    quite

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      I even miss Beefy too - even though he was quite often very provocative.
                      I miss Beefy quite a lot. Yes, he could be provocative, though people took the bait every time. However, his knowledge of the highways and byways of the recorded catalogue was immense as was his enthusiasm for contemporary music and, especially, Bruckner. The forum has perhaps become a touch anodyne without his occasional stirring it up.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I miss Beefy quite a lot. Yes, he could be provocative, though people took the bait every time. However, his knowledge of the highways and byways of the recorded catalogue was immense as was his enthusiasm for contemporary music and, especially, Bruckner. The forum has perhaps become a touch anodyne without his occasional stirring it up.
                        Well, I'm sure he knows he'd be welcome if he returned, although he'd have to admit that his predictions for B**x*t didn't really come to pass!

Comment

• Edgy 2
                          • Jan 2019

The forum has certainly lost a bit of ooomph since BeefO left,I miss his championing of British music and Prog Rock.
                          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                            I hope Stanley won't mind me posting on the forum, just to let you all know, that he is quite well but is taking a break from forum posting... Stanley was telling me that Caliban had been in touch with him recently and that he's very appreciative of everyone's concern.

Gavin (aka hmvman)
                            Yes we had a nice exchange after I spotted him in the credits of an early episode of Callan and realised I'd been watching him playing a policeman
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

So do I. I had many good exchanges with him but also rose to his bait more than once. I would hate to think that any pinpricks I might have delivered could have contributed to his leaving.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

I think it is quite clear from his final posts why he left and I am sure it had nothing to do with you gurnemanz.

Comment

Working...
                                X