X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    3rd helping of chemotherapy done this morning. Also today had an infusion done to strengthen my bones. Not all that long session really but still quite tiring. came home hand caught up with Rattles's Mahler symphony no.7 Prom!!

Don't forget,regular doses of RVW BBM

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

Don't forget,regular doses of RVW BBM
      I won't! I do rather like his Dona Nobis Pacem these days. I am expecting that lovely bumper 41 CD box set from decca, a limited Edition of Handel's The Great Oratorios
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

3rd helping of chemotherapy done this morning. Also today had an infusion done to strengthen my bones. Not all that long session really but still quite tiring. came home hand caught up with Rattles's Mahler symphony no.7 Prom!!
        Try the Bruckner 4 from last night - much more worthwhile, IMO - though you can skip the Mozart which preceded it. However, I expect you will, anyway -

I was at both concerts - and personally I enjoyed last night's more.

Bws, Dave

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Try the Bruckner 4 from last night - much more worthwhile, IMO - though you can skip the Mozart which preceded it. However, I expect you will, anyway -

I was at both concerts - and personally I enjoyed last night's more.

Bws, Dave
          Indeed!
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

I can tell you from my experience, music was truly wonderful during my chemo 4 years ago. Intensive listening sessions really did help me, and made the 'journey' through, bearable.... and what it did for the spirits is amazing.

You sound like you're doing brilliantly. I send you encouraging vibes from Languedoc to jolly Sussex.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
              I can tell you from my experience, music was truly wonderful during my chemo 4 years ago. Intensive listening sessions really did help me, and made the 'journey' through, bearable.... and what it did for the spirits is amazing.

You sound like you're doing brilliantly. I send you encouraging vibes from Languedoc to jolly Sussex.
              Visual, thank you. What a lovely area Languedoc is. Had a great time today listening etc.
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

This is just to let you all know that there will probably be a period of less participation from me for a while, especially in the Alphabetic Associations thread! So I might count as an absent friend.

No sinister or health reasons, or work pressures (as poor teamsaint has!), but I'm busy upping sticks and moving house.
                A preliminary foray last weekend to look at three properties to get an idea of the market resulted in a purchase, with expected completion date of 6 October, of a brand-new eco house that ticks all the boxes in the list of what we were looking for. Current house is about to go on the market so we will be owning both for a while (and hence be subject to higher-rate stamp duty on the new purchase, as it is considered a second home; a refund is obtained on sale of the current house, but it is ridiculous that there is not a few months of grace available). Though in fact we are not downsizing (more room for your money where we are moving to: York from Bicester) we are taking the opportunity to chuck a lot of stuff out rather than move it, so my time needs to be spent doing that instead of looking at this site so much. Very much looking forward to getting involved in the music scene in York. Any pointers gratefully received.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  York from Bicester
                  That was quite some preliminary Fauré !

Bang goes the idea of a quick saunter up the M40 to see you!

Very best of courage with all that - esp the chucking-out part. But I bet it won't half feel good once it's done

Next year you'll have: http://www.ncem.co.uk/yemf

Take it easy
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

A warm welcome to York will await you, Pulcinella. Coincidentally, YMRS (Yk Recording Music Society met, yesterday, the start of our 2016 season, in the Chekhovian setting of Dower Court- idyllic, I assure you, and we are 'all good friends and jolly good company' too. Forum member, hmvman, is our Chairman, Gavin, who started the new season with a presentation on Musical connections in York. He is about to go on holiday to Germany but I'll tell him the good news about your resettlement and will write further on the forum about yesterday's meeting in a day or two. Further, a letter from York University awaited my return home and I'll send you all the gen about forthcoming concerts in York when you have time to get your breath back when you arrive.!

All good wishes, Stanley

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Very much looking forward to getting involved in the music scene in York. Any pointers gratefully received.
                      York Early Music Festival. Lucky you!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                        A warm welcome to York will await you, Pulcinella. Coincidentally, YMRS (Yk Recording Music Society met, yesterday, the start of our 2016 season, in the Chekhovian setting of Dower Court- idyllic, I assure you, and we are 'all good friends and jolly good company' too. Forum member, hmvman, is our Chairman, Gavin, who started the new season with a presentation on Musical connections in York. He is about to go on holiday to Germany but I'll tell him the good news about your resettlement and will write further on the forum about yesterday's meeting in a day or two. Further, a letter from York University awaited my return home and I'll send you all the gen about forthcoming concerts in York when you have time to get your breath back when you arrive.!

All good wishes, Stanley

You make me want to move there too, Stanley!

Good choice, Pulcinella! The Yorkshire Chapter counts among its members more than one Dales dweller, too, and iirc Dr Flay can come a short way down the road and check your blood pressure from time to time
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Thanks for all the good wishes.
                          The new house is a 30-min or so walk along a cycle track (so less time if actually cycling!) to the city centre.
                          We tried it out last Monday!
                          Very excited about the prospect of living there.
                          Much joy already from throwing out all the style guides for the journals I used to work on.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks for all the good wishes.
                            The new house is a 30-min or so walk along a cycle track (so less time if actually cycling!) to the city centre.
                            We tried it out last Monday!
                            Very excited about the prospect of living there.
                            Much joy already from throwing out all the style guides for the journals I used to work on.
                            Hope the move goes smoothly Pulcers. I'm sure it will be a great move for you. the south's loss is the north's gain. Enjoy the throwing out. Very cathartic.

And kind of you to mention work pressures. Mine are more than I would like, but a lot less than many folk have to endure, and I do get to work in the glamorous world of publishing, which is more than enough reward, as you can imagine

Are you going to buy a bike at all, living on a cycle path, or are you already two wheeled up?
                            Last edited by teamsaint; 11-09-16, 20:23.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Hope the move goes smoothly Pulcers. I'm sure i will be a great move for you. the south's loss is the north's gain. Enjoy the throwing out. Very cathartic....
                              As always I echo the thoughts of Lord Saint ... other than the obvious of course - you are moving to the Midlands ...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Are you going to buy a bike at all, living on a cycle path, or are you already two wheeled up?
                                Already well wheeled up in the cycle dept, and may actually get rid of one of the cars.
                                On moving in (as first occupants) we apparently get a £150 voucher towards the purchase of a bike or a travel pass; not sure which we will opt for. A new (electric) bus began operating through the estate last Monday, so I shall happily transfer my bus pass from here to there. Poor partner (who knows what the north is about, anton; he's from Sunderland!) is trapped by the increasing age limit before qualification.

Comment

Working...
                                X