X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

The Classical Music association thread is only supposed to be played in the period of advent as a fun thread for the season.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      The Classical Music association thread is only supposed to be played in the period of advent as a fun thread for the season.
      Indeed, BBM - I'm merely pointing out what (I'm pretty sure) has happened, and that some take (took) it more seriously than others.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        Whatever the intentions of the originator, threads do have a tendency to develop a life of their own (and your starter contribution - Mahler's 2nd Symphony - wasn't exactly 'Christmasy' )

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Dare I say I could see this coming? He has it seems given up the forum for much the same reasons as I abandoned the Classical Association thread (the cause of his departure, IIANM). Roehre (I think) enjoyed it for a spot of quiet erudition. In the last week or two it was increasingly characterised by facetiousness, drunkenness and throwing bread rolls. He did place a quiet and very polite protest about people being too late with posts, as I did not long ago (about not deleting when you're too late).
          As for me, I have simply dropped quietly out of both threads. It's only a game, which has tended to run on too long anyway.
          How to bring him back? I add my voice. Perhaps if those concerned could say something to him? They know who they are.
          PS this has happened once before, for a similar reason. The first time, it gave rise to the non-classical association thread.
          This seems bizarre - abandon the Forum because of one of the Threads? Why not just ignore that Thread? I hope that Roehre will reconsider his position.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            Whatever the intentions of the originator, threads do have a tendency to develop a life of their own (and your starter contribution - Mahler's 2nd Symphony - wasn't exactly 'Christmasy' )
            True!
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              This seems bizarre - abandon the Forum because of one of the Threads? Why not just ignore that Thread? I hope that Roehre will reconsider his position.
              I hope so too.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

No, I think it was because as Richard Tarleton says: In the last week or two it was increasingly characterised by facetiousness, drunkenness and throwing bread rolls'.

When it gets like this you can easily think you're wasting your valuable time
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  No, I think it was because as Richard Tarleton says: In the last week or two it was increasingly characterised by facetiousness, drunkenness and throwing bread rolls'.

When it gets like this you can easily think you're wasting your valuable time

facetious

[fuh-see-shuh s]

adjective
                  not meant to be taken seriously or literally:
                  a facetious remark.
                  amusing; humorous.
                  lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous

Drunkenness* and throwing bread-rolls? At Xmas? On a fun-thread?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    What - the entire Forum?! I hadn't noticed that - the Classical Associations had, but it always does that once the sherry starts to flow in the week before Christmas.

I find it distressing if Roehre was so annoyed that he's lost interest in the Forum. His would be a very significant loss if he didn't change his mind.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      facetious

[fuh-see-shuh s]

adjective
                      not meant to be taken seriously or literally:
                      a facetious remark.
                      amusing; humorous.
                      lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous
                      Funny how one can go through life believing a word means something it doesn't ...

I had always believed, clearly erroneously, that 'facetious' means 'sarcastic'. I feel fairly confident that many others who use the word believe so, too.

On checking my dictionary ... and I'm a great believer in the constant availability of such an invaluable reference ... I discover that there is no mention of any degree of sarcasm whatsoever.

Well, I never ...

PS ... I too hope Roehre returns (if he has actually gone). Who needs a music dictionary when he is around?

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

There's a sense of frivolity where it's inappropriate, isn't there?

Not that it seemed inappropriate on that particular thread...

Last edited by jean; 10-01-16, 09:50.

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

. . . I find it distressing if Roehre was so annoyed that he's lost interest in the Forum. His would be a very significant loss if he didn't change his mind.
                          Ditto.
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            There's a sense of frivolity where it's inappropriate, isn't there?

Not that it seemed inappropriate on that particular thread...

Well, quite. Some people do get a bit serious about their fun.

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              Well, quite. Some people do get a bit serious about their fun.
                              I guess Roehre didn’t see the way in which the rule was broken on that particular occasion as frivolous even on a fun thread. He has not resigned so I hope he will be back.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                                I guess Roehre didn’t see the way in which the rule was broken on that particular occasion as frivolous even on a fun thread. He has not resigned so I hope he will be back.
                                I have noticed that too, so fingers cross!!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X