• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I've been somewhat absent of late, and will be for a few weeks more, as I've joined the several here on the Forum who have lost their dads in the recent past - my "Aged P" died on Wednesday last week in the early hours, similarly peacefully at the end to yours Bbm. At a mere 85, he was spared protracted immobility and loss of independence, which one can only see as a mercy.

Wise words, LMP.

Yours truly in charge of music for the short service later this month, guided by our dad's love of (1) Bach and (2) King's Choir, Cambridge.

Thus:

(1) the opening chorus of JSB's Cantata BWV 8 ("Liebster Gott, wenn werd ich sterben? Meine Zeit läuft immer hin..." / Dearest God, when shall I die? My time runs continually away...) - the Gardiner/SDG performance

and

(2) the final In Paradisum from Duruflé's Requiem - the King's/Ledger performance (with organ accompaniment only).

so sorry to hear about your father's passing, Cali. It's at these times we know what people will be good in supporting us and some surprising ones too! My thoughts and prayers are with you Cali, at this time.

I will have to hear these works soon, I think.

Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Condolences to all who have suffered the pain of loss. May we all have the necessary strength to deal with it, past, present or to come.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Caliban and Brassbandmaestro,condolences from me.

My father died almost 19 years ago aged 69,my mother in 1991 aged 63.
        When I was depressed a few years ago I became obsessed with the thought that I am certain to die at 66,an average of the two.
        I may well do who knows but strange the way the passing of parents can affect the way you think.

As regards music for funerals a little story
        As far as I can remember my dad never showed any interest on classical music whatsoever.
        When we knew his death was near we discussed music and he started explaining what he wanted to be played at his funeral.
        He asked for Jim Reeves or Matt Munro and 'there's a piece I'd like by that composer you always listen to'
        So I'm thinking Tallis,Lark...no,the epilogue from RVW's 2nd String Quartet was what he meant .
        When I said to him that I had no idea he liked it he said 'I'm not sure I do really,but when I heard it I thought it would be nice music to go out to'.
        And so it was played,to the bemusement of everyone there.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Condolences to Caliban. It's two years this very month since my own father passed away at the age of 94 and, having served in the RAF during the Second World War, it's appropriate to place a poppy wreath on his grave at this time of year, particularly as he fulfilled this duty every Remembrance Day at the war memorial here for many years.

My mother was in a care home for 3 years with vascular dementia, the memory of which still gives nightmares. She died in August last year at the age of 84 without being aware that my father had preceded her by only nine months.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Condolences from me too Caliban

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I hope other forumites won't mind, but, not having heard anything of salymap for some time now, either personally or via this place, I took the liberty yesterday on behalf of the forum of sending her a Christmas card, "in a personal capacity".

Let's wish her well.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I hope other forumites won't mind, but, not having heard anything of salymap for some time now, either personally or via this place, I took the liberty yesterday on behalf of the forum of sending her a Christmas card, "in a personal capacity".

Let's wish her well.

well done

Comment

• Roehre

Where's Jayne Lee Wilson?
                  Her last posting was October 22

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I think JLW does suffer from health problems, maybe she having a bad time with these and perhaps feels not well enough?

Thanks SA, hope salymap isn't too bad!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Anyone got any news about salymap they can share?

In any event, all warmest wishes to her, by whatever means they can reach her!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        I think JLW does suffer from health problems, maybe she having a bad time with these and perhaps feels not well enough?
                        Yes, she does indeed. I'll drop her a line and try to see how she is.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          Yes, she does indeed. I'll drop her a line and try to see how she is.
                          That be a good idea ahinton, thanks. We all miss her here. Send her my best.
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Anyone got any news about salymap they can share?

In any event, all warmest wishes to her, by whatever means they can reach her!
                            I think several of us have sent Christmas greetings, and I had an email from her cousin this morning saying salymap isn't able to write cards herself but Happy Christmas to all. She's still unable to use her computer but remembers all the friends she made in cyberspace … sadly, I think her disabilities are such that she won't be able to return again and amuse us with all her memories.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Thanks very much for letting us know, ff.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks for that FF.
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X