X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    Never mind the why and wherefore. I would ring the merry bells if Anna reappeared (under that or any other pseudonym).
    But first make sure to do your trousers up, because we wouldn't all wish to be deafened!

Yes, I too am wondering about Anna. Perhaps she's been enjoying the much-vaunted Wales heatwave, and will be back to report on it,on the Stormy Weather thread.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      But first make sure to do your trousers up, because we wouldn't all wish to be deafened!
      He said "bells", S_A - "bells!

Yes, I too am wondering about Anna. Perhaps she's been enjoying the much-vaunted Wales heatwave, and will be back to report on it,on the Stormy Weather thread.
      I hope so, too - she gave us some lovely posts.

AND, for all that there were times when we seemed to be coming close to strangling each other, I hope jlw feels fit and enthusiastic enough to resume her contributions to the Forum soon.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        He said "bells", S_A - "bells!

I love this message board!
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I've exchanged some affectionate PMs with Anna over the summer She was well a month or so ago, has spent the summer on a big garden 'make-over' and other real-life activities; and I recall her saying that not having a smartphone, she's been finding the internet rather incidental to life of late.

My hopes are high that completion of the garden project plus winter weather will have Anna back among us
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Thanks, Cali - that is good news: I can well understand that gardening could take priority over cyber matters - but hope that work in the Potting Shed gives Anna more time to get back in touch.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Thanks, Cali - that is good news: I can well understand that gardening could take priority over cyber matters - but hope that work in the Potting Shed gives Anna more time to get back in touch.
              'Ow's yer gravel path, squire?
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                'Ow's yer gravel path, squire?
                Very ... bouncy! (I used some old carpet underneath the gravel as a weed "barrier", only it was too wide, so I folded it over on itself - puts a real spring in the step!)

Incidentally, this leaf-fall has made me wish I used paving bricks instead - gravel is a beggar to sweep clear!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Incidentally, this leaf-fall has made me wish I used paving bricks instead - gravel is a beggar to sweep clear!
                  OT, top tip: fed up with doing just that, and finding myself raking up the gravel along with the leaves, yesterday I ran the petrol rotary mower over the gravel drive and paved area in front of the house, on a higher than usual setting. Sure enough, it lifted the leaves and the larch needles, leaving the gravel undisturbed. I was already doing that on the grass - we're surrounded by neighbours' broad-leaf trees, mostly sycamore.

And hello to Anna from me!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Very ... bouncy! (I used some old carpet underneath the gravel as a weed "barrier", only it was too wide, so I folded it over on itself - puts a real spring in the step!)

Use a yard vac and then bag up the leaves for leaf mould. But yes you should have gone for paviours for whatever you've put under the gravel, accumulated dust and airborne muck will form an ideal growing medium for weeds and you'll be forever weeding (or cursing!).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks, Cali, re message about Anna.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Something I'm just beginning to realise - except in my case it's slate chippings. Every leaf will be picked off by hand (fortunately it's not a long path).

I used carpet as an 'underlay' but as it was rather elderly it's lost its spring (something I'm finding myself)

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          ... it's lost its spring (something I'm finding myself)
                          Quite. And its Summer, Autumn and the sunnier days of Winter.

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

I find that a leaf rake works on loose stone paths but is less effective if the leaves have started to rot into the stones. By the way I don't use gravel/pea shingle but the larger drainage stone which I prefer the look of and doesn't stick to the soles of shoes.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                              Late Member
                              • Sep 2012

Aren't we getting a little far away from the title and subject of this thread?

My objective in starting this thread, (for some reason ascribed to *Salymap, now sorely missed) was to enquire about members who had suddenly and inexplicably, ceased to post regularly upon these message boards. (Amateur51 is a good example.)

Maybe someone should start a Hobbies and Pastimes thread, where our activities which have nothing at all to do with Radio 3 or the Arts can be discussed and shared with people of like-minded interests?

HS

* Maybe my original post was simply entitled "Missing Persons". It was a long time ago and possibly before the BBC abandoned these message boards. Yes, I miss Salymap too. A dear friend with a wealth of knowledge going back to the fifties and a fascinating insight into the personalities of some of our home grown conductors and composers.
                              Last edited by Hornspieler; 05-11-15, 15:32.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                                • Jan 2014

On the subject of AMS 51, I though I read a post where a member had made contact with him, after a month or two, and the message was that he was taking a break from the board. I've searched, but not found the post.

Comment

Working...
                                X