• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Yes, where is Calum?

my surgery was Friday. It was weird to wake up with the endotrachial tube down my throat, hearing the Nurses discussing my breathing paramaters, and knowing that I was doing well enough for the tube to be withdrawn. My family says that I gestured like a madman for them to pull it. I was cracking jokes an hour later but oh, when those Narcotics wear off, things weren't so funny.
    I am 57 years old and regular exerciser, so I made great progress, was being touted as a model patient, and discharged a day ahead of schedule. Home an hour, when I attempted to climb the stairs became terribly short of breath and collapsed. It turned out I was in Atrial
    fibrillation with a heart rate of 180. My wife overrode my objections and called the resuce squad. My heart rate converted back to normal 5 minutes into an Amiodarone drip. Another 24 hours in the hospital, and been home for 3 hours now without mishap. Won't be trying stairs for a while, however.
    Richard

Really sorry to read all about this - not been on this particular thread for weeks. However, very glad to see that things have improved, and hopefully you will get significantly better in a while - but do take it easy, certainly for a few weeks. Re the Proms - if you do get over here, and if you go to the Proms and have seats up in the Circle or even just the first few levels, do be warned that it's quite a hike up there. Don't be afraid to look for a lift - there are a few. Some venues in London don't have lifts (AFAIK), and some do have quite a vertical distance to go up if one doesn't avail oneself of lifts (elevators). ENO is quite a hike up to the upper levels, and once or twice I've tried to go up too fast, and found myself breathless near the top, and had to stop.

Some of the tube stations don't have lifts either, which can be a pain for anyone with a disability (e.g Kensington High Street), and don't even think of attempting the challenge of any of the really deep ones - which have stairs and lifts (e.g Hampstead http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampstead_tube_station "There is also a spiral emergency staircase of over 320 steps." They can represent a challenge for fitness freaks - exercise ... , otherwise use the lifts.).

As you've disclosed your age, I'll mention that I'm about a decade ahead of you. I don't make strenuous efforts to keep fit, and so far a few people and friends who seemed to have been really fit have gone to glory ahead of me, some of them a few decades ago.

Take the advice of others, and listen to music, though perhaps not Walton's 1st, Stravinsky Rite, Shostakovich 5th (last movement) etc. Get well!

Comment

• Richard Barrett

I wasn't previously aware of what this thread is about but let me add best wishes to RF for a good quick recovery.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

All the best Richard. Hope you have a quick recovery!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Are you OK now?
          Thank you. Seemed to do the trick - regular checks at increasingly longer intervals since - as a precaution.
          Just goes to show yet again; we never know what's round the next corner, do we. Certainly made me change my whole outlook on many aspects of life.... for the better, I should add.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
            Thank you. Seemed to do the trick - regular checks at increasingly longer intervals since - as a precaution.
            Just goes to show yet again; we never know what's round the next corner, do we. Certainly made me change my whole outlook on many aspects of life.... for the better, I should add.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Thanks to all who have offered good wishes. Today my blood pressure is quite low and my Cadiologist has cut back on meds and liberalized salt and fluid intake. While the lightheaded ness is crimping the fun of being home playing sick, the liberalized diet is welcome. My wife is a Registered Nurse and today is our 11 th Wedding Anniversary. We have at least a nice shared dinner to look forward to, possibly Thai.
              Laying on the couch in our main room streaming files from my phone to a Blutooth DAC connected to the Home Theater
              Setup. Also listening to Chicago's WFMT. I have Bernstein's Amsterdam Mahler 1playing now. The cuckoos are making me miss the fine outdoor weather.
              Played Haitink/CSO Resurrection earlier, but when the Day of Judgement came, after what I have just been through, I thought "perhaps not"

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Thanks to all who have offered good wishes. Today my blood pressure is quite low and my Cadiologist has cut back on meds and liberalized salt and fluid intake. While the lightheaded ness is crimping the fun of being home playing sick, the liberalized diet is welcome. My wife is a Registered Nurse and today is our 11 th Wedding Anniversary. We have at least a nice shared dinner to look forward to, possibly Thai.
                Laying on the couch in our main room streaming files from my phone to a Blutooth DAC connected to the Home Theater
                Setup. Also listening to Chicago's WFMT. I have Bernstein's Amsterdam Mahler 1playing now. The cuckoos are making me miss the fine outdoor weather.
                Played Haitink/CSO Resurrection earlier, but when the Day of Judgement came, after what I have just been through, I thought "perhaps not"
                All the very best Richard - how about some Mozart .

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I agree with Barbs. Mozart piano concertos - they cannot but do you good!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Hello richardfinegold. I'm very happy that you are seemingly bouncing back - great to know. But - even if you feel excellent - you have to resist the temptation to do too much too soon! Your body has been through a lot, and it needs to build up to its normal levels, which takes time. Enjoy the music

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Only just caught up with this thread.
                      Best wishes Richard and Nick.
                      I recommend daily doses of

Works for me.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                        Only just caught up with this thread.
                        Best wishes Richard and Nick.
                        I recommend daily doses of

Works for me.

Excellent. perhaps the mods could move it to a seperate thread that I just created?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Excellent. perhaps the mods could move it to a seperate thread that I just created?
                          Your wish is my lobster, guv'nor
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Rfg
                            I guess you don't need too many musical suggestions - plenty in the collection to go at - but just in case - how about a load of Faure, Debussy and Ravel for starters!
                            Best wishes for your recovery.
                            Cloughie

Just seen new thread Cali - please will you transfer this.
                            C

Comment

• Hornspieler
                              Late Member
                              • Sep 2012

"If music be the food of love, Play on, Give me excess of it......"
                              (William Shakespeare)

Steady now, Richard! You've just had a serious operation!

HS

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

A good dose of wind band music should do the trick RFG!! Hope you will be on the mend very soon!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X