X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    frenchie has decided to move on to other things.
    Proud to have served, french frank. If future omens look good, there might be another chorus?

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      There's fairly low traffic on this forum compared with some others I visit. Sometimes I wonder if it's on the verge of collapse, but it hasn't happened yet. I find the views and information of some who visit here very helpful, and I hope that at least some of my own posts are interesting or useful to a few others.

Compared with some other boards the quality of postings is generally much higher, with less noise, and there are some topics I'm interested in.

Arguably it has had an impact on my bank balance and storage space, with many large "bargains" - CDs usually - picked up from the often very helpful bargains thread.

I have thought of abandoning this one on occasions, but it's always possible to go away and come back a month or so later - at least until the ultimate collapse.
      I think there is quite a lot of traffic just a lot of people read but do not post.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        I think there is quite a lot of traffic just a lot of people read but do not post.
        And things often pick up when The Proms start!
        Best wishes to ff from me too.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Absolutely - look at the title/thread starter list here to see the numbers of replies/views....often a large difference, even allowing for multiple visits from the same member....

Some of those BaLs certainly get people going.....
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-07-19, 21:12.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Today, for example, in the "What's New" section, quite a few posts have been published here.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

This is very likely to be correct. I post on here much less than I once did and feel others may be doing likewise. We've also lost a few members in recent months for one reason or another and they are not being replaced quickly enough for them to 'bed down' so to speak.

It's a pity that Caliban doesn't visit this place anywhere near as often as once was the case. Always top posts from him and I miss those.

It's also frustrating to have no reply to a post for a long time whereas at one time you could guarantee a response in minutes, sometimes in seconds.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Something I've often wondered about internet forums like this one (which is the only one I'm currently involved in): do they individually have a natural "rise and fall", and if so why? Or is it the whole internet forum format that has a natural rise and fall? - given that many people might have "moved on" towards FB or Twitter, although those things are of course very different. (I use FB but not Twitter.)

Let's see how long it takes Petrushka to answer!

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  Something I've often wondered about internet forums like this one (which is the only one I'm currently involved in): do they individually have a natural "rise and fall", and if so why? Or is it the whole internet forum format that has a natural rise and fall? - given that many people might have "moved on" towards FB or Twitter, although those things are of course very different. (I use FB but not Twitter.)

Let's see how long it takes Petrushka to answer!

This forum is the only only one that I'm involved in as well and there has always been a summer lull before a sudden increase in postings once the Proms start. Of concern here is that there has been a noticeable tailing off over the past few months.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Because of my work schedule, I don't always have time to look or reply to some of the threads. I confess I tend to look more in the Record Review section as that is my main point of interest. It's regrettable that I don't manage to get enough time to look at all the rest. But I very much appreciate the exchanges that we have here.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Being retired now, I’m only on here on average once a day. Mind you I probably do on average at least six postings, maybe?!?!?
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        frenchie has decided to move on to other things.
                        Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Good idea - the forum has lost some of its charm - I‘ve though a couple of times recently of giving it a rest!

I must say I sympathise with ff. I too find I’m here and contributing far less than in years past... for a variety of reasons. Not least is the change in my listening to Radio 3. I very rarely (in fact of late, never) listen to it live any more. Partly due to my own musical interests evolving, but also significantly because of the rise of intrusively-annoying aspects to the station’s output (intolerable trailers, ditto presenters, devalued formats notably Building a Library), plus the ‘lifestyle changes’ of a life free of work, I use the iPlayer to download the dwindling number of programmes I want to hear, and listen to them when/if I can during the ensuing 30 days. This is effectively limited to certain COTWs, Martin Handley’s weekend breakfasts (for any ‘background’ listening), Record Review, some TTNs, some Evensongs, Jazz Record Requests and Sound of Cinema, and certain concerts. In each case, the ability to skip through the trailers etc in 10 second leaps is invaluable.

The consequence is that often, it’s a couple of weeks before I hear a programme and hence the discussion here has moved on. Occasionally I do look in to see what folk thought about it, and may chip in. But more often, the urge to do so is much less than in the past. Yes, some posters’ musical analyses are intriguing, enlightening and set me on a path of discovery (and I suspect this will increase during the Proms season).

I also enjoy the discussions about films and TV programmes.

But I fully understand that ff has ‘moved on’.... because I feel I’ve semi-moved on too
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Always good to hear from you, Cali, however rarely.

What has become of our Southampton friend greenilex - no postings since 15 May: hope she's OK

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Perhaps the Controller should read Caliban's post, the contents of which in many respects reflect the changes in my own relationship with Radio 3. I'm sure others have a similar tale to tell. My Radio 3 diet is now restricted to Breakfast (sometimes), JRR (always), CotW (sometimes) and the Lunchtime Concert (sometimes) and brief dips into
                            Through The Night if I'm having trouble sleeping. I may listen to a few carefully selected Proms. The good news for users of iPlayer is that, as I understand it, the BBC is seeking to make material available for up to a year as against the current 30 days.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I must say I sympathise with ff. I too find I’m here and contributing far less than in years past... for a variety of reasons. Not least is the change in my listening to Radio 3. I very rarely (in fact of late, never) listen to it live any more. Partly due to my own musical interests evolving, but also significantly because of the rise of intrusively-annoying aspects to the station’s output (intolerable trailers, ditto presenters, devalued formats notably Building a Library), plus the ‘lifestyle changes’ of a life free of work, I use the iPlayer to download the dwindling number of programmes I want to hear, and listen to them when/if I can during the ensuing 30 days. This is effectively limited to certain COTWs, Martin Handley’s weekend breakfasts (for any ‘background’ listening), Record Review, some TTNs, some Evensongs, Jazz Record Requests and Sound of Cinema, and certain concerts. In each case, the ability to skip through the trailers etc in 10 second leaps is invaluable.

The consequence is that often, it’s a couple of weeks before I hear a programme and hence the discussion here has moved on. Occasionally I do look in to see what folk thought about it, and may chip in. But more often, the urge to do so is much less than in the past. Yes, some posters’ musical analyses are intriguing, enlightening and set me on a path of discovery (and I suspect this will increase during the Proms season).

I also enjoy the discussions about films and TV programmes.

But I fully understand that ff has ‘moved on’.... because I feel I’ve semi-moved on too
                              I’ve been thinking about you lately re your involvement on here. I hope you don’t leave completely!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Flay
                                • Mar 2007

Indeed, me for one. I look at the MB frequently, it remains a fantastic resource and a wonderful community.

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                                I hope you don’t leave completely!
                                Seconded! Your intelligence, knowledge, wit and friendliness has been a greater support than you can imagine over many years.

And likewise for ff!
                                Last edited by Flay; 06-07-19, 11:16.
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X