• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

We're all doomed!

• greenilex
    • Nov 2010

Title clearly true at the most basic level, and not news. But we are none of us putting enough pressure on our masters, who pretend to be "listening".

While individuals can do little, nations can exert pressure even on commercially-driven multinationals. Rising sea levels and turbulence in the upper atmosphere cannot be good for business...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

The fact is that the effects will not be felt very much by people who make the decisions today. Our descendents will be the ones who will have to attempt to deal with the consequences of generations of greed and over-population.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

It's a non-news story. There has been clear evidence for years that Earth is heating up and that the level of CO2 is rising. It's been well publicised. All that has happened here is that the rise has reached 400 parts per million - a purely artificial scale and not significant, except to confirm what we already knew. This sums it up (taken from the BBC website):

"British atmospheric physicist Prof Joanna Haigh commented: "In itself, the value 400ppm of CO2 has no particular significance for the physics of the climate system: concentration levels have been in the 300s for so long and now we've passed the 400 mark. However, this does give us the chance to mark the ongoing increase in CO2 concentration and talk about why it's a problem for the climate."

Still, perhaps it will be a little more difficult for climate-change deniers to continue to have the impact they do, particularly in the USA. Perhaps.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          It's a non-news story. There has been clear evidence for years that Earth is heating up and that the level of CO2 is rising. It's been well publicised. All that has happened here is that the rise has reached 400 parts per million - a purely artificial scale and not significant, except to confirm what we already knew. This sums it up (taken from the BBC website):

"British atmospheric physicist Prof Joanna Haigh commented: "In itself, the value 400ppm of CO2 has no particular significance for the physics of the climate system: concentration levels have been in the 300s for so long and now we've passed the 400 mark. However, this does give us the chance to mark the ongoing increase in CO2 concentration and talk about why it's a problem for the climate."

Still, perhaps it will be a little more difficult for climate change deniers to continue to have the impact they do, particularly in the USA. Perhaps.
          I wonder how many gay men are climate change deniers?

I bet Prof Niall Ferguson would hazard a guess

Harvard history professor Niall Ferguson apologises for saying economist John Maynard Keynes did not care about society's future because he was gay.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Yes, 400 is just a number. Similarly, when unemployment exceeds 1 million... 2 million... 3 million... it's jst a number, but it's still significant.

Comment

• amateur51

Surely this headline would cancel out the anti-EU speeches by Boris Johnson, Nigel Lawson and a goodly chunk of The UKIP Effect

Cabinet minister Philip Hammond joins Michael Gove in saying he would vote for Britain to leave the EU if there were a referendum today.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-05-13, 14:35. Reason: removing repeat noted by Dave2002

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22417231
                Niall Ferguson has obviously hit on the answer, Ams. It all depends on the definitions of 'care'...about'...'society's'...'future'. Now where's my dictionary...?

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22417231
                  What's all this got to do with the price of a loaf of bread?

Or climate change too, for that matter

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

This will probably be an interesting programme tonight....http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ic_Mr_Feynman/
                    bong ching

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Surely this headline would cancel out the anti-EU speeches by Boris Johnson, Nigel Lawson and a goodly chunk of The UKIP Effect

Cabinet minister Philip Hammond joins Michael Gove in saying he would vote for Britain to leave the EU if there were a referendum today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22500121
                      I see you like repetition.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        This will probably be an interesting programme tonight....http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ic_Mr_Feynman/
                        This is a favourite quote from Richard Feynman:

"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell."

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Yep, I'll say yes to that Pabmusic....
                          bong ching

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            Yep, I'll say yes to that Pabmusic....
                            Me, too.

(Or should I say, "I think I would, under any of the circumstances that occur to me at the moment"?)
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I see you like repetition.
                              My mistake, now removed Dave2002 - many thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X