• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

The triumph of the tom-tom

I do not want to be associated with this thread.
    Last edited by Sydney Grew; 07-05-13, 01:01.
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
    For the past fifty years, hoi polloi's idea of "music" has in their ignorance been a guitar and a wail or a screech. (Not a lot of notes, that was the point.)

Just recently, though, a sea-change has come. Now hoi polloi's idea of "music" is in their even profounder ignorance tom-toms and a monotonous mutter. (No notes at all.) This is far worse and actually deters me from venturing into certain spots.
    It's obviously because they no longer have baths to put their coal in. Or coal to put in their baths. Someone needs to invent a virtual bath and virtual coal, with a loud soundtrack - then they can sing as they fill their virtual bath with virtual coal.

Or perhaps not.

[Do sea-changes come or come about? ]

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
      For the past fifty years, hoi polloi's idea of "music" has in their ignorance been a guitar and a wail or a screech. (Not a lot of notes, that was the point.)

Just recently, though, a sea-change has come. Now hoi polloi's idea of "music" is in their even profounder ignorance tom-toms and a monotonous mutter. (No notes at all.) This is far worse and actually deters me from venturing into certain spots.
      Please offer some examples of this intriguing new art form.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Please offer some examples of this intriguing new art form.
        I think he is referring to the end of Verdi's Requiem ?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          [Do sea-changes come or come about? ]
          Sailing boats frequently go about during sea-changes
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

When did the term "sea-change" start being used to mean a transformation that has nothing to do with the sea, unlike its early use in The Tempest, where Ariel sings that "Nothing of him that doth fade,/But doth suffer a sea-change,/Into something rich and strange"?

Pabmusic?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

I've always thought 'seed' change would be better....
              bong ching

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                When did the term "sea-change" start being used to mean a transformation that has nothing to do with the sea, unlike its early use in The Tempest, where Ariel sings that "Nothing of him that doth fade,/But doth suffer a sea-change,/Into something rich and strange"?

Pabmusic?
                A really interesting question (by which answer you'll know that I haven't a clue). I think we can hazard a guess that it didn't take so very long, because the sense of transformation has always been there. My usual books are unhelpful, except for confirming that its first appearance was in The Tempest. I looked online, but there's nothing that helps much. Merriam-Webster gives two separate meanings - change by the sea (archaic) and transformation. That is not so common with my other dictionaries, so I'd guess it's recent (say since the 1980s), but beyond that I'm stumped.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

According to the OED, the first example noted was

1948 A. C. Baugh Lit. Hist. Eng. II. ix. 173 An interesting paper suggesting that romance is transplanted epic, which has undergone a kind of sea-change in the passage. [I believe this is the American academic Albert C Baugh]

Before that the quotes did have references to the sea, including one by Ezra Pound.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    According to the OED, the first example noted was

1948 A. C. Baugh Lit. Hist. Eng. II. ix. 173 An interesting paper suggesting that romance is transplanted epic, which has undergone a kind of sea-change in the passage. (I believe this might be the American academic Albert C Baugh)

Before that the quotes did have references to the sea, including one by Ezra Pound.
                    Brilliant!

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks, ff. It's rather sad that a term that was originally vivid, poetic and precise in its allusion to the transformation wrought by the sea has just become another fancy word for significant change, with the marine association being totally redundant.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

Thanks, ff. It's rather sad that a term that was originally vivid, poetic and precise in its allusion to the transformation wrought by the sea has just become another fancy word for significant change, with the marine association being totally redundant.
                        'Twere ever thus. It seems to me that there's a natural tendency for words to grow towards each other, rather than to diversify.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Well, I think we should congratulate Sydney on his careful omission of the normally-present but strictly redundant English definite article when he wrote in his OP of hoi polloi.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            Well, I think we should congratulate Sydney on his careful omission of the normally-present but strictly redundant English definite article when he wrote in his OP of hoi polloi.
                            Indeed. But he missed the chance to wrtie οἱ πολλοί.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Here's a member of the hoi polloi who thought this thread was about sat navs...

Comment

Working...
                              X