X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Yes it is lucky - my parents bought it many moons ago and still love it. I remember in particular seeing the total eclipse from Aldeburgh beach .

No way any of us could afford it nowadays Aldeburgh properties seem to have been completely unaffected by the financial crisis.
    Presumably this was not the 1999 total eclipse, as it would only have been seen as total in a narrow strip of Cornwall, and the day was cloudy. I saw it in Salzburg, and it was a truly memorable sight, a black sun for 2m12s.greeted by loud cheers!

The previous total eclipse visible in Britain was in 1927, and special trains were run up to Yorkshire for people to see it.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
      Royal Mail used to issue postcards to coincide with the stamps, so a Britten postcard with a Britten stamp could be a possibility if they still do this.
      I would think that there are plenty of postcards of Britten available in Aldeburgh, so Barbirollians can pop down there for a weekend, buy a postcard, send it to Anna, who can then send it to Mary with the Britten stamp on it.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Presumably this was not the 1999 total eclipse, as it would only have been seen as total in a narrow strip of Cornwall, and the day was cloudy. I saw it in Salzburg, and it was a truly memorable sight, a black sun for 2m12s.greeted by loud cheers!

The previous total eclipse visible in Britain was in 1927, and special trains were run up to Yorkshire for people to see it.
        Pedantry - of course it wasn't total total in Aldeburgh but it was a broken cloudy sort of day and watching the sky go nearly dark over that sea was magical .

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          I would think that there are plenty of postcards of Britten available in Aldeburgh, so Barbirollians can pop down there for a weekend, buy a postcard, send it to Anna, who can then send it to Mary with the Britten stamp on it.
          No need! I have now got the stamp, though what I shall do with it I don't quite know. Still, it's a nice thing to have.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Oh good - I do like a happy ending (although there's not many of them in Britten's operas, are there? )

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              Oh good - I do like a happy ending (although there's not many of them in Britten's operas, are there? )
              Albert Herring? Midsummer Night's Dream? Noye's Fludde? (if you can count it as an opera.)

Comment

• Boilk
                • Dec 2010

This Britten stamp was designed (but not used) back in the 1970s by Jennifer Toombs

Spotting the music might be trickier here!
                Last edited by Boilk; 18-04-13, 11:27. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

• Boilk
                  • Dec 2010

This British stamp was one of four issued in 1984 commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the British Council. The music I know is by Tippett, but cannot remember what ... shouldn't be too hard to identifiy though.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Pedantry - of course it wasn't total total in Aldeburgh but it was a broken cloudy sort of day and watching the sky go nearly dark over that sea was magical .
                    Sorry if I was pedantic, but you did say total eclipse, and nobody saw it in its full glory in Britain.

Comment

Working...
                    X