Another lapse in values at BBC - LSE students in North Korea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    • Nov 2010

Thoughts from a (kind of) insider. Will he work for the BBC again though?

Sean Langan, a British journalist and documentary film-maker, who has worked in dangerous and volatile countries, gives his views on the BBC's secret investigation in North Korea.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Criticism widens http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22156251
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JimD View Post
        Thoughts from a (kind of) insider. Will he work for the BBC again though?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22147166
        I thought Sean Langan's points were well-made. I think some of Sweeney's documentary programmes have been good, for instance his investigation into the Barclays brothers' practices on Sark and elsewhere, and I agree with Langan that the decision was not (or should not have been) Sweeney's to go ahead with this trip, but for his editorial boss(es). Also the risks were too great for students who it appears were not made fully aware of their nature and implications.

Comment

• Spatny

I wonder if those young innocent, naive tour reps are still alive after this programme?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Spatny View Post
            I wonder if those young innocent, naive tour reps are still alive after this programme?
            ....Yes, I sadly thought that too....
            bong ching

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

well watch the programme ... it is hard to see a single element of it that could not have been arrived at from interviews outside N Korea, i could detect no information not already in the public domain; this was the kind of tabloid journalism that the Leveson Inquiry addressed, sensation mongering conducted under false pretences... a total and despicable stunt imv ...[posting as a parent of a postgrad] i see that the ex hack in chief of Murdoch's fig leaf has now been appointed head of gossip at Aunt so that is all right then ....
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
              X