X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Northender
    • Sep 2024

Unfortunate or Inappropriate Connotations

Johann Strauß Blue Danube (now playing): Antigravity Toilet (2001 A Space Odyssey)
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I enjoyed Vinteuil's spot on the Breakfast playlist once (though more appropriate than inappropriate): Morgengrub, courtesy of Schubert.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

The slow movement of Dvorak "New World" and English countryside, as perpetually used in ads.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

I've only caught this once, last week- a new advert for (I think) car insurance that used the melody of "I want to be in America" from West Side Story, with new words and animated characters.

Hideous.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          The slow movement of Dvorak "New World" and English countryside, as perpetually used in ads.
          Cobbled streets more like !

Comment

• Tapiola
            • Jan 2011

Montagues and Capulets being hijacked by The Apprentice.

(The X Factor cannot ruin Orff's "O Fortuna" for me - both are utter nonsense, imo)

Comment

• Boilk
              • Dec 2010

Tony Blair and "Peace Envoy"

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Yes, I've never quite got that one, S_A!

I remember it on Hovis ads as far back as 1972 ... unless it signifies some sort of yearning for the 'old days' rather than one's homeland? Couldn't they find an English composer who managed to cobble together a decent tune?

Mind you, a few years back we were treated to the main theme of the Bruckner 5 slow movement as the music background to an ad for Nike trainers.

The appropriateness escaped me ... but somehow I resisted the urge to complain to Sky TV.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Varese - Density 21.5 and the Cadbury's Cream Egg advert.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Channel 4 News - a portrait of Thatcher in five minutes, with the Karelia Suite, an insult to Sibelius.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      Channel 4 News - a portrait of Thatcher in five minutes, with the Karelia Suite, an insult to Sibelius.
                      An honour actally. Where've you been the last 36 hours!!!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Please don't bring the Thatcher arguments here as well.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Moving swiftly on - Ponchielli's Dance of the Hours from La Gioconda has never recovered from this and this

Or the Nutcracker from this

Comment

• Boilk
                            • Dec 2010

Well, the opening Intermezzo from the Karelia Suite was the theme tune to Thames TV's This Week current affairs programme, whose 1988 Death on the Rock episode so infuriated Thatcher and which led, allegedly, to the demise of Thames TV in the ITV franchise renewals.
                            Last edited by Boilk; 12-04-13, 22:29. Reason: Superfluous apostrophe removal

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

In the otherwise excellent World at War the ending of Bruckner 5 is used as background to Hitler's triumphant procession round Berlin in 1940 after the fall of France.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X