X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt
    • Jul 2024

Is Obama a Misogynist ... ?

After the Uruguayan President referred to his female Argentinian counterpart as 'an old hag', it appears Obama is in trouble with extreme feminists and their politically-correct fellow-travellers for exactly the opposite reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22049070

Is it now considered a social crime for a man to describe a woman as good-looking ... ?
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
    After the Uruguayan President referred to his female Argentinian counterpart as 'an old hag', it appears Obama is in trouble with extreme feminists and their politically-correct fellow-travellers for exactly the opposite reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22049070

Is it now considered a social crime for a man to describe a woman as good-looking ... ?
    Did you actually read the article? Or is this some Richard Littlejohn(son) attempt to sneer at why a women might feel annoyed by such a comment, something along the lines of 'it's political correctness gone mad!'?

How many times have male attorney generals been described as 'the most handsome'?

Surely, if he wanted to praise her legal prowess, simply saying she was 'the best attorney general' would have sufficed, no?

I can't begin to understand how patronising such comments must be to women who are still struggling in 2013 to gain equal recognition in the workplace based on the merits of their work, not their looks.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

I'm sorry, is this a late April Fool? This woman has already proved, Thropple, that women can get to the top if they put their minds to it, regardless of whether they look like Angelina Jolie or the back end of a bus. She's an Attorney General for heaven's sake; I am quite sure she is more than capable of putting up with being called "good looking".

I thought we had finally left this sort of ridiculous feminist paranoia well behind us.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

The BBC story says "Ms Harris's spokesman said she strongly supported Mr Obama but would not say whether she had accepted his apology." Wise woman - to accept the apology means she feels an apology is needed: not to accept it means she was annoyed about the comment.

Have you stopped beating your wife yet, scotty?

Never trust the media when they want a good story. I suggest we are as 'tight-lipped' (media expression) on this as Ms Harris.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
          Did you actually read the article? Or is this some Richard Littlejohn(son) attempt to sneer at why a women might feel annoyed by such a comment, something along the lines of 'it's political correctness gone mad!'?

How many times have male attorney generals been described as 'the most handsome'?

Surely, if he wanted to praise her legal prowess, simply saying she was 'the best attorney general' would have sufficed, no?

I can't begin to understand how patronising such comments must be to women who are still struggling in 2013 to gain equal recognition in the workplace based on the merits of their work, not their looks.
          Yes, I can read. Who's Richard Littlejohn(son)?. I admit I've not closely studied the looks of any male attorney-generals in my life. Obama praised the lady for many attributes and made the 'good-looking' comment as an aside.

Why is that in any way 'patronising'? The lady is good-looking. Obama merely noted that glaringly-obvious truth and paid her a simple compliment. I've heard plenty ordinary women describe Obama as 'lovely' and even 'gorgeous'. He's not at all my cup of tea in these matters, I readily admit, but I'm sure Obama won't mind at all being described as such.

I wouldn't ... would you?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Yes, I can read. Who's Richard Littlejohn(son)?. I admit I've not closely studied the looks of any male attorney-generals in my life. Obama praised the lady for many attributes and made the 'good-looking' comment as an aside.

Why is that in any way 'patronising'? The lady is good-looking. Obama merely noted that glaringly-obvious truth and paid her a simple compliment. I've heard plenty ordinary women describe Obama as 'lovely' and even 'gorgeous'. He's not at all my cup of tea in these matters, I readily admit, but I'm sure Obama won't mind at all being described as such.

Read the story again, scotty: 'critics' and 'writers and bloggers' - unnamed, uncredited. You were the one who brought up misogyny and extreme feminists, which suggests it's you who have some axe to grind.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I suggest we are as 'tight-lipped' (media expression) on this as Ms Harris.
              Good luck with that, ff...!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

I'm sure Obama won't mind at all being described as ['lovely' and even 'gorgeous']

No, if it was relevant; if it wasn't what would be the point in describing how I looked?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  No, if it was relevant; if it wasn't what would be the point in describing how I looked?
                  Compliments are rarely "relevant". But they are usually nice to get anyway.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Myself, I like a compliment....it gives me an opportunity to be incredibly modest and self-depreciating....
                    bong ching

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      Quite so, Mr Pee, and just for the record, I'm sure you're a bit of a sweetie yourself !

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                        Yes, but Obama is in the wrong, she's a moose.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                          Yes, but Obama is in the wrong, she's a moose.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Read the story again, scotty: 'critics' and 'writers and bloggers' - unnamed, uncredited. You were the one who brought up misogyny and extreme feminists, which suggests it's you who have some axe to grind.
                            Well I can only imagine that the 'critics' 'writers' and 'bloggers' who thought there something wrong with Obama's harmless remarks were either 'extreme feminists' and/or 'politically-correct fellow-travellers'. What else can they possibly be, ff?

I'm simply defending Obama's right to call a woman good-looking without interference and calls for an apology from agenda-driven busy-bodies, whoever they may be.

If that, in turn, is considered 'having an axe to grind', so be it!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Well I can only imagine that the 'critics' 'writers' and 'bloggers' who thought there something wrong with Obama's harmless remarks were either 'extreme feminists' and/or 'politically-correct fellow-travellers'. What else can they possibly be, ff?

I'm simply defending Obama's right to call a woman good-looking without interference and calls for an apology from agenda-driven busy-bodies, whoever they may be.

If that, in turn, is considered 'having an axe to grind', so be it!

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X