Memo to Hall on first day in new job ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Quote from Melvyn Bragg:

"If you're an ambitious broadcaster in a public service system, one of your ambitions should be to serve minorities with authority ..."

I'd probably use the phrase 'small minority interest audiences', but otherwise, yes!

Also liked Gillian Reynolds' comment that she wanted programmes to be subject-led, not personality-led, that she didn't want the presenter always in the way.
    Last edited by french frank; 03-04-13, 19:00. Reason: Remembered another little pearl ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      Do you PROMISE there is nothing about Leveson in the show RT....??
      You're not by any chance my MP are you 8th? Because I did write to him about the Royal Charter?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

You mean to tell me NONE of you can tell me what fillum Calum's clip in #35 comes from?

I'm truly astonished.

One of the most iconic British movies of '68.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          You're not by any chance my MP are you 8th? Because I did write to him about the Royal Charter?
          ...as a regular listener to the Media Show RT....50% of it's output over the last 2years has been Leveson and Phone-Hacking....which Steve Hewwtt seems to relish and cannot get enough of....it's worn thin for me....
          bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            You mean to tell me NONE of you can tell me what fillum Calum's clip in #35 comes from?

I'm truly astonished.

Well IF you put it like that....
            bong ching

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

...as a regular listener to the Media Show RT....50% of it's output over the last 2years has been Leveson and Phone-Hacking....which Steve Hewwtt seems to relish and cannot get enough of....it's worn thin for me....
              I beg your pardon, I thought for a moment my own obsession was showing!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

I'm truly astonished.

I didn't notice that you had set the question, S-A. I would of known. (in footy board grammar mode today).
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  I didn't notice that you had set the question, S-A. I would of known. (in footy board grammar mode today).
                  No, I didn't notice the question either, and I knew the answer. For a bonus point who can name the music that Travis really played on the jukebox in that clip?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                      It's Sanctus from either the Missa Loba or Luba - must check my VHS.

I'll never forget seeing that movie the first time, as it was so accurate a portrayal of my own experiences at public school. It still blows my mind every time I watch it - acting out in my own mind that last scene when the lads, together with that girl, machine gun and mortar bomb the parents, teachers and establishment figures as they emerge from the smoking hall where School Day was being held, and always thank Lindsay Anderson for directing it. The very attractive girl I'd taken along to see it had somehow vanished afterwards from my ungentlemanly intentions!

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

It's Sanctus from either the Missa Loba or Luba - must check my VHS.

I'll never forget seeing that movie the first time, as it was so accurate a portrayal of my own experiences at public school. It still blows my mind every time I watch it - acting out in my own mind that last scene when the lads, together with that girl, machine gun and mortar bomb the parents, teachers and establishment figures as they emerge from the smoking hall where School Day was being held, and always thank Lindsay Anderson for directing it. The very attractive girl I'd taken along to see it had somehow vanished afterwards from my ungentlemanly intentions!
                        Missa Luba, to save you looking it up.

Yes, I saw it a few months after I left school, and bits of it were amazingly accurate - though not the headmaster being shot.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

and bits of it were amazingly accurate - though not the headmaster being shot.
                          i thought they hit him ..... [coat etc ]
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            i thought they hit him ..... [coat etc ]

Comment

Working...
                            X