Which Parsifal will you play this weekend? There are no wrong answers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Can't go wrong with Hans Marksundsparks's traversal of Der Bun des Heißkreuzen

Cheers!

Will hunt them down and publish a full review in due course!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Can't go wrong with Hans Marksundsparks's traversal of Der Bun des Heißkreuzen

Top recommendation Cali!

And with his gob fulla bun, perhaps it'll stop Bill Tong from discussing 'social class' - peace perfick peace!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Might dip into this as an accompaniment to Cali's recommended buns!

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Solti/Kollo / VPO et al.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            The recent Met relay of Parsifal was one of the most wonderful Wagner performances I've heard in years and deserves to be spoken of in the hushed reverential tones usually reserved for the likes of Knappertsbusch. Magnificent!
            Agreed. We saw it in a live relay in Swindon in the company of about a dozen other people. A couple nearby had brought red wine in. I'm not sure if it was as a sacrament or simply refreshment.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Did their picnic include a roast swan?

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

#63 Beef Oven!, is that the Rome 20/21.11.1950 version conducted by Vittorio Gui? I have it on a Virtuoso label CD set: also features Rolando Panerai as Amfortas and Boris Christoff as Gurnemanz, wonderful stuff, though Christoff's Italian takes a bit of getting used to!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  #63 Beef Oven!, is that the Rome 20/21.11.1950 version conducted by Vittorio Gui? I have it on a Virtuoso label CD set: also features Rolando Panerai as Amfortas and Boris Christoff as Gurnemanz, wonderful stuff, though Christoff's Italian takes a bit of getting used to!
                  Yes it is.

Wonderful stuff, indeed

Not sure which language Boris is singing, but I'm fairly sure it's not Italian.

Edit: Here's the proper cover (at least it's the one on my version).

Last edited by Beef Oven!; 17-04-14, 13:37.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

My household, and my ears, will happily be a Parsifal-free zone this weekend (and most others, come to that). Fortunately I will be working through all four days of this Christianization of the spring festival, and thus able to avoid its worst excesses.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      My household, and my ears, will happily be a Parsifal-free zone this weekend (and most others, come to that). Fortunately I will be working through all four days of this Christianization of the spring festival, and thus able to avoid its worst excesses.
                      Shame you're not a bit more open-minded about music. And by the by, you might find that Wagner's recasting of the whole Christian-thang, is more to your liking. Just a thought.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

all four days of this Christianization of the spring festival, and thus able to avoid its worst excesses.
                        Talking of which, someone has just sent two of my grandkids "The Real Easter Egg, celebrating the REAL meaning of Easter". It is labelled 'a lifechanging egg', it is made from 'meaningful chocolate', it has three empty Calvary crosses on the front and an exhortation to find out more by logging on to:

The official home of The Real Easter Egg share the Easter story, share Fairtrade, support charitable causes

I expect the recipients will just eat it.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks Beef Oven!, I just played the opening to remind myself what it sounded like and actually, Boris Christoff's Italian isnt so bad: possibly Italian as sung by one who had drunk quite a lot of vodka in his lifetime, but wonderful none the less. I bought this set because the prospect of Callas and Christoff singing together was irresistible, I would have bought it if they'd been singing Chinese. And I dont think they sang together again, at least not for a commercial recording? Does anyone know?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Shame you're not a bit more open-minded about music. And by the by, you might find that Wagner's recasting of the whole Christian-thang, is more to your liking. Just a thought.
                            Oh I'm by no means unfamiliar with the work, and have several recordings available here, on both CD and DVD. The Good Friday music was all too often spinning away on my father's radiogram during my early childhood. I might watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I suppose.

Comment

• marvin
                              • Jul 2011

What is the significance of playing Parsifal and this weekend, please?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Which Parsifal will you play this weekend? There are no wrong answers!

None (I haven't got any Parsifals).

A year on,I still aint got any Parsifals.

Comment

Working...
                                X