Which Parsifal will you play this weekend? There are no wrong answers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

None. Could that be a wrong answer?

Comment

• Madame Suggia
      • Sep 2012

It's Knappertsbusch 1962 for me too.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Cheap download here (no advice about the download quality, but worth a punt of any impecunious Wagneria's hard-earned dosh, I'd've thought).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Parsi...4328773&sr=1-9
        Just played most of act one. I have to say that the singers have a poor grasp of German and the accents are terrible.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Cheap download here (no advice about the download quality, but worth a punt of any impecunious Wagneria's hard-earned dosh, I'd've thought).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Parsi...4328773&sr=1-9
          Callas doing Kundry or a pint of bitter? Decisions, decisions....

Comment

• Julien Sorel

I shall be listening to the new Marek Janowski conducted recording http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Pentatone/PTC5186401

I don't know how the cast will match up to earlier versions, but I've always enjoyed Janowski's fleeter-footed Wagner and I'm singer tolerant except in cases of absolute disaster. (It's a good reason to listen to it: I hadn't planned to but it's been sitting in the wrapping accusingly looking at me for some time ).

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

No wrong answers? I'll have to Pars on this one then.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

I too used to listen to Parsifal or chunks from at Easter, invariably the Boulez live Bayreuth performance which I still like.
                It seems to be one of those pieces that is performance-proof and any version is capable of giving great pleasure. I heard Horst Stein conduct it live at Bayreuth and although he is rarely mentioned his performance stays with me. Can't recall seeing a recording of the complete work conducted by him.

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  I too used to listen to Parsifal or chunks from at Easter, invariably the Boulez live Bayreuth performance which I still like.
                  It seems to be one of those pieces that is performance-proof and any version is capable of giving great pleasure. I heard Horst Stein conduct it live at Bayreuth and although he is rarely mentioned his performance stays with me. Can't recall seeing a recording of the complete work conducted by him.
                  The Bayreuth production conducted by Horst Stein has recently been released on DVD and is available for a pretty reasonable price:

I remember when this was shown on BBC2 at Easter. The production is fairly straightforward, but the cast with Hans Sotin, Siegfried Jerusalem and Eva Randova is very good indeed.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Hi Beefoven I'll be playing The WNO Parsifal with Goodall

Comment

• Karafan
                      • Nov 2010

Kna - but 1964 for me!! Jon Vickers is wonderful and even Hotter sounds more on fire. This was to be Kna's last outing conducting the opera and the longeurs are nowhere near as apparent - superb in every respect.

If you have £40 doing nothing and an Amazon Prime account, why not join me this Easter?!
                      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        I have Horst Stein's Parsifal on DVD

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Mahler's3rd View Post
                          Hi Beefoven I'll be playing The WNO Parsifal with Goodall

Comment

• umslopogaas
                            • Nov 2010

#18 Beef Oven, "... the singers have a poor grasp of German ..." Er ... on my Virtuoso 3 CD set they are singing in Italian. Are we talking about the same performance? Mine is Callas, Panerai, Modesti, Baldelli, Christoff and Lopatto, Orch. and Chorus of Radio Italiana, Rome, cond. V. Gui in 1950. The CDs were released in 1989.

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                              • Sep 2012

I've got that wonderful Horst Stein Parsifal on DVD too

Does anyone have the Sinopoli Parsifal DVD ? I'd like to hear your thoughts.. His Tannhauser on DVD is fantastic!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                                #18 Beef Oven, "... the singers have a poor grasp of German ..." Er ... on my Virtuoso 3 CD set they are singing in Italian. Are we talking about the same performance? Mine is Callas, Panerai, Modesti, Baldelli, Christoff and Lopatto, Orch. and Chorus of Radio Italiana, Rome, cond. V. Gui in 1950. The CDs were released in 1989.
                                I was joking! I'm part Italian

Comment

Working...
                                X