Which Parsifal will you play this weekend? There are no wrong answers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven
    • Jun 2024

Which Parsifal will you play this weekend? There are no wrong answers!

I try to play a recording of Parsifal over this particular weekend each year.

Kna crops up most years.

This year it's going to be Thielemann/Domingo live on DG.

If I get a chance to sample more recordings I will choose from Boulez, Karajan and Goodall.

I have about 10 Parsifals, less than some people in here!!
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

I think the Karajan recording is very special. HVK at his very best.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

This one opera I havnt got in my collection!!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

Interesting thought. Not being particularly religious (in fact, being hardly religious at all), I hadnt thought of Easter as a pre-determined time to listen to Parsifal. I tend to listen to Parsifal, or any other Wagner opera for that matter, when I have large amounts of available time, whatever season of the year. But I think I will give it a go. I have three versions on LP: Solti, Knappertsbusch (Bayreuth 1951) and Kna again (Bayreuth 1962), and two on CD (Karajan and Gui). Despite the joys of discovering ancient performances on vinyl, I suspect I'll go for the easy option and play the Karajan CDs.

The Gui version is extraordinary, not least because a. it is "more than 3 hours" which means that it is cut and b. it features Boris Christoff as Gurnemanz and - gulp! - Maria Callas as Kundry. They dont make casts like that any more.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
          I completely agree, Mr Pee.

But, as BeefO says, there are no "wrong answers" ('tho' I suspect there'll be very few "votes" for either of Levine's recordings) and this year I'll be listening to the (sadly incomplete) first recordings from 1913, '27 & '28 conducted by Karl Muck, Alfred Hertz and Siegfried Wagner.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Kna 1962 with Hans Hotter as my long-winded namesake was my only version - on LP - for many a year. I have recently acquired his 1951 version as part of the Bayreuth Heritage Box, but not yet played it. On your prompting I might give it a first spin this weekend.

(PS. I only have four recordings, so am a mere dilettante in this company. I have a soft spot for the 1975 Herbert Kegel with René Kollo, it being a recording of a Leipzig concert performance which we actually attended, "we" being me and young woman born in the same city as the maestro. We got married in Leipzig a few weeks after the concert.)

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

So HvK on youtube?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                Egg wetter gree.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Kna 1962 with Hans Hotter as my long-winded namesake was my only version - on LP - for many a year. I have recently acquired his 1951 version as part of the Bayreuth Heritage Box, but not yet played it. On your prompting I might give it a first spin this weekend.

(PS. I only have four recordings, so am a mere dilettante in this company. I have a soft spot for the 1975 Herbert Kegel with René Kollo, it being a recording of a Leipzig concert performance which we actually attended, "we" being me and young woman born in the same city as the maestro. We got married in Leipzig a few weeks after the concert.)
                  Wonderful PS!!

PS. Consider yourself prompted.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    This one opera I havnt got in my collection!!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                      Interesting thought. Not being particularly religious (in fact, being hardly religious at all), I hadnt thought of Easter as a pre-determined time to listen to Parsifal. I tend to listen to Parsifal, or any other Wagner opera for that matter, when I have large amounts of available time, whatever season of the year. But I think I will give it a go. I have three versions on LP: Solti, Knappertsbusch (Bayreuth 1951) and Kna again (Bayreuth 1962), and two on CD (Karajan and Gui). Despite the joys of discovering ancient performances on vinyl, I suspect I'll go for the easy option and play the Karajan CDs.

The Gui version is extraordinary, not least because a. it is "more than 3 hours" which means that it is cut and b. it features Boris Christoff as Gurnemanz and - gulp! - Maria Callas as Kundry. They dont make casts like that any more.
                      I'm not particularly religious either, but its a good excuse!

Another HvK being played this weekend

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Solti/Kollo
                        Kna / the whole team

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                          Cheap download here (no advice about the download quality, but worth a punt of any impecunious Wagneria's hard-earned dosh, I'd've thought).

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

I recorded the recent Met relay conducted by Gatti to hard drive with the intention of saving it for the Easter weekend as I was unable to catch it live. Will probably divide it between Friday (Act 1) and Saturday (Acts 2 & 3).

That aside I have the 1962 Knappertsbusch, Karajan and Solti recordings.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Cheap download here (no advice about the download quality, but worth a punt of any impecunious Wagneria's hard-earned dosh, I'd've thought).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Parsi...4328773&sr=1-9
                              I now have about 11 Parsifals and I'm £3.56 lighter in the pocket.

Comment

Working...
                              X