• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Happy Easter....erm?

After today's [ Monday, 25th Mar] Lunchtime Concert. FT suddenly wished us all a 'Happy Easter'.

[a] Easter is not until NEXT SUNDAY
    [b] THIS week - Holy Week - is one of the most solemn and penitential in the christian calendar
    [c] Easter is the new Christmas suddenly, is it? Since when?

On how many other accounts was it an inappropriate CA throwaway?
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I thought I heard her say 'Happy Easter when it comes'.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      After today's [ Monday, 25th Mar] Lunchtime Concert. FT suddenly wished us all a 'Happy Easter'.

[a] Easter is not until NEXT SUNDAY
      [b] THIS week - Holy Week - is one of the most solemn and penitential in the christian calendar

On how many other accounts was it an inappropriate CA throwaway?
      Ill thought out, at best.
      and the Mendelssohn was incorrectly described too, though no doubt a slip of the tongue.
      I'm afraid the whole presentation of a good and interesting concert* (at least as it sounded on the dreaded car radio) was rather "New " radio 3........

* except for the Brahms.... which really do need a rest even in this form
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        I thought I heard her say 'Happy Easter when it comes'.
        But what is the point? as DracoM points out, the significance for those who are interested in religious observance is, at present, in Holy Week. Easter greetings are surely for Easter?

Plus its the middle of winter.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

I heard a woman passenger, getting off the bus on 31 October last, wish the driver a 'Happy Hallowe'en'!

Perhaps she thought a ghost-free sleep.... or perhaps she wasn't thinking.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            You're right, you don't wish someone Happy Easter before Easter Sunday.

Looking at your comment I assume you know of the relative importances of Christmas and Easter within the Christian calendar. It is Easter, not cuddly Christmas which is by far the most important of these two. We could do without Christmas, but Easter is essential to Christian beliefs.
            I would encourage the celebration of Easter, following the Holy with Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and the Easter. But in this so-called Christian country the BBC television doesn't realise this importance: apart from a documentary re Mary Magdalene no attention has been paid to any of these days as far as I can see. R3 is a bit of a different story, but there not the attention which these days deserve either , though JSBach's St.Mark's Passion was more or less programmed for the right day at least .

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

Christians and non-Christians alike celebrate Easter in decidedly non-Christian ways: with Easter eggs, Easter egg hunts, the Easter bunny, and so forth.

Most cultural references to Easter include these elements, most of which are pagan in origin (as is the very name Easter)
              and all of which have become commercialized.

Because these aspects of Easter are shared by both Christians and non-Christians, they constitute the common cultural recognition of Easter —
              the specifically religious celebrations of Christians belong to them alone and are not part of the wider culture. Britain is indeed only a so-called Christian country.

The shift of Easter's religious elements away from the general culture (eg broadcasting) and into Christian churches has been occurring over many decades .
              To expect secular members of society to be able to distinguish between Holy Week and Easter Week
              is a futile exercise which will only diminish that very respect which Christians would wish their faith to be accorded.
              Last edited by Guest; 30-03-13, 19:15.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

It wasn't, as it claimed, Music and readings for Easter (see OP) - only the last part of it was.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Wekk, its Easter Sunday!! So Happy Easter
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Wekk, its Easter Sunday!! So Happy Easter

And to you, too, Bbm - and all fellow Forumistas!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Hornspieler
                      Late Member
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
                      Christians and non-Christians alike celebrate Easter in decidedly non-Christian ways: with Easter eggs, Easter egg hunts, the Easter bunny, and so forth.

Most cultural references to Easter include these elements, most of which are pagan in origin (as is the very name Easter)
                      and all of which have become commercialized.

Because these aspects of Easter are shared by both Christians and non-Christians, they constitute the common cultural recognition of Easter —
                      the specifically religious celebrations of Christians belong to them alone and are not part of the wider culture. Britain is indeed only a so-called Christian country.

The shift of Easter's religious elements away from the general culture (eg broadcasting) and into Christian churches has been occurring over many decades .
                      To expect secular members of society to be able to distinguish between Holy Week and Easter Week
                      is a futile exercise which will only diminish that very respect which Christians would wish their faith to be accorded.
                      Well spoken, Stephen! Some common sense at last on this thread.

HS

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Wekk
                        Is that what posh Scousers get when the ask "gissa job"?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Is that what posh Scousers get when the ask "gissa job"?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                          X