X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Repairs

We have an old,(around 20 years) but nice, Panasonic boombox - slightly similar to this Sony one which might still be available - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CFDS05-...0&sr=8-3-spell

Recently the CD part gave up the ghost. Does anyone do repairs these days? Local repair men?

I know it probably makes sense to move on, buy something else, sonething newer, maybe even that Sony one etc., but we use it mostly for going to sleep - sometimes with tapes, sometimes CDs.
    Oddly we have found it very effective to listen to story tapes - we rarely get to the end of each story before going to sleep. It could actually be worth £50 to get it fixed!
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

You might be lucky and find a local repair man who would have a look at it, but would spare parts be available? What has actually happened to the CD part? You could end up spending more than £50 to get it fixed, and I see the Sony item you linked to costs less than that. Very sad, I think, that this is the society we are now in. I remember radio/TV repairers coming to the house when I was a lad. It was usually "a valve" in those days, though not always.

(My valve amplifier is currently on the blink. I know it's not a valve in this case, but I've not had time to examine it. I suspect a capacitor.)

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Going off at a slight tangent (surprise, surprise), in the old days of valve TVs one had to wait while they 'warmed up'. Then with the transistor age, flick the switch and the TV/radio springs instantly to life. Now in the digital age there is usually a delay again...even after allowing for finding spectacles, teeth and the correct zapper (from a choice of four or five). And as for watching/listening online the delay while laptops welcome you and decide when to grudge you the privilege of streaming the programme...well, we've clearly gone backwards.

As for your old ghetto-blaster, Dave, I reckon it's a case of chucking it. A shame because the big old ones generally had much better sound and such luxuries as bass and treble tone controls. It might just be worth checking if it's got an auxiliary input socket. If it has, it might be possible to play a cheap portable CD player through it.

Comment

• anotherbob
        • Sep 2011

Skilled labour costs money. If you assume a technician might take an hour to diagnose the fault, and maybe another to rectify it you have spent maybe £60. Then add the cost of parts?

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Send it to Neal

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

We get careless when things go on the blink these days. I'm technically still the owner of the first CD player on the market, the Philips CD100. Although compared with many modern players it was built like a tank,the output on one channel failed and I asked a friend to have a look at it for me. Years later I saw the identical model in the Museum of Domestic life in York! Meanwhile my one is buried somewhere in my friends workshop. I know it might be worth a bit, but after such a long interval I can't bring myself to ask for it back, if he's still got it, that is!

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Dave...I'm guessing that you've tried cleaning it with a CD lens cleaner ? Does it spin up? Which model is it, by the way. I'm wondering if it is the same model as us.(RS-EX 25) ...which if it is then it has fantastic sound and a bloody good FM radio section. The good news is that I believe the CD may be available. Certainly there is a place in Hereford that can repair them, I believe.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

Dave, it would be worth calling Bradley Electronics on Marsh Barton Trading Estate, near Exeter. I've had several bits of hi-fi equipment repaired by them. Phone is 01392 439466.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I'm on the point of taking some Leak kit to a chap in Basingstoke who was not phased, on the phone, by the request. PM me if you'd like the contact details.

BW, kb

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    I'm on the point of taking some Leak kit to a chap in Basingstoke who was not phased, on the phone, by the request. PM me if you'd like the contact details.

BW, kb
                    kernelbogey

If he wasn't phased, which way round were the wires ?

BWs. Ferret

Comment

Working...
                    X