X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Met 'Live' ??

Anyone know why today's Met is a 36year old recording - and why broadcast a recording as 'Live' (I know american advertising is not exactly known to be truthful but wasn't the BBC taken to court over this type of deception) - and why broadcast a recording at the awkward time forced by the USA not having adopted a worldwide standard re changes to daylight saving
    Last edited by Frances_iom; 23-03-13, 17:20.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

and then cut JRR
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
      Anyone know why today's Met is a 36year old recording - and why broadcast a recording as 'Live' (I know american advertising is not exactly known to be truthful but wasn't the BBC taken to court over this type of deception) - and why broadcast a recording at the awkward time forced by the USA not having adopted a worldwide standard re changes to daylight saving
      No idea about the timing or why it's under the title Met 'Live', but presumably the reason for this broadcast is that there's no scheduled performance of La forza del destino in this Verdi bicentenary, so they're dragged one up from the archives to fill a Saturday slot. If they're just replaying the original tapes, does this mean we get Peter Allen introducing?!
      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        and then cut JRR
        I saw that listing and felt for the jazzers in our midst. Who wants some old Verdi performance. Shove it on TtN, if you must
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Who wants some old Verdi performance. Shove it on TtN, if you must
          Do I have to send the boys round again, Caliban? You remember what happened after your last brush with the Inquisition?
          Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            I saw that listing and felt for the jazzers in our midst. Who wants some old Verdi performance. Shove it on TtN, if you must
            And I've commented on the 'JRR Redacted again' thread about it. It's just not on (or are Met opera fans so set in their ways they have to have this early kick-off whereas Jazzers are seen as so desperate to hear anything on R3 they can be fobbed off by meagre pickings at any old hour?)

Comment

• JFLL
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
              Meanwhile, we seem to get almost no live opera from the continent of Europe. Why should that be? Expense? Rights? No speaka da lingo?

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                If they're just replaying the original tapes, does this mean we get Peter Allen introducing?!
                Nope. It's Margaret and her nodding dog, Ira...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  And I've commented on the 'JRR Redacted again' thread about it. It's just not on (or are Met opera fans so set in their ways they have to have this early kick-off whereas Jazzers are seen as so desperate to hear anything on R3 they can be fobbed off by meagre pickings at any old hour?)
                  I have much sympathy for the jazz-fans in this matter. But... the Met broadcasts are taken live by stations all over the world and I guess that the choice of a matinee performance in New York reflects the need to position the broadcast at an optimum time for world-wide listening. This may seem perverse in the case of broadcasting old tapes, but from a marketing and branding perspective, which I imagine is much on Peter Gelb's mind, it would make sense to keep this in the series, and so at the usual time.

(As it happens I didn't listen in last night.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    I have much sympathy for the jazz-fans in this matter. But... the Met broadcasts are taken live by stations all over the world and I guess that the choice of a matinee performance in New York reflects the need to position the broadcast at an optimum time for world-wide listening.
                    I think you're right, kernel, but the broadcasts are marketed as "Live from the Met" - and, whilst there is an argument for shunting the schedules around for a Live event (albeit one which has an equally strong counter-argument) to do so for a recording merely seems to exacerbate the exasperation that we listeners feel who want to hear one of the rare Jazz programmes. It seems a flagrant V-sign to the Corporation's supposed "commitment" to Jazz.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      [...] a flagrant V-sign to the Corporation's supposed "commitment" to Jazz.
                      That'll be a Verdi-sign then ...
                      (and I take your point).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        That'll be a Verdi-sign then ...
                        (and I take your point).
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Drawn by the legendary cast I listened in to the first scene, as I'm very fond of this ramshackle sprawl of an opera (which somebody, possibly Roger Parker, said should really be titled "The Power of Coincidence" ). It merely confirmed everything I dislike about Met broadcasts - boxy sound, too much applause (including for the sets, and for people merely coming onstage, which is annoying of you're listening on radio, not to mention the dreadful announcers). I didn't think L Pryce sounded at her best. I don't have a view on JRR but an baffled as to why they broadcast this.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

The matinee yesterday was La Traviata, which is also the matinee next week (presumably because it's very popular?), when it will be broadcast. Presumably the Met felt that while there was sufficient demand for it being the matinee two weeks running there wasn't for it being broadcast twice, so put on a 36 year old recording of another opera in its place during the normal live slot. Which still doesn't answer the question of why the Beeb chose to broadcast it, unless it's to do with the agreement with the Met. I think I'm right in saying that it's not simply an agreement between the Met & the Beeb, but with the EBU as a whole, which could complicate things more.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Message from planet Jazz -

Thanks for the solidarity, Anna!

P.S. and Caliban, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X