Congratulations To The New Archbishop of Canterbury!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt
    • Jun 2024

Congratulations To The New Archbishop of Canterbury!

Many congratulations to Justin Welby on his new appointment.

For this RC onlooker it was a fascinating service, dignified and colourful but not too formal. The singing was beautiful far outclassing anything heard in Rome the other day. Maybe not surprisingly, there was something delightfully English about it all ... well, until the African dancers appeared!

The new leader of the Anglican Church looks very much the part for the modern age and more of an obvious evangeliser than his predecessor. If nothing else, that similarity with his counterpart in the Vatican is striking.

This week could well go down in history as a pivotal one for Christianity.

Strangely, Sky News hardly covered it and what they did cover was a complete shambles, at least the bit I saw that didn't break down, until I quickly switched to BBC where the coverage was excellent.

Conspiracy-minded non-believers could easily come to the conclusion (and some here may well do ) that Sky is run by the Vatican and Lambeth Palace controls the BBC ...
  • Mandryka

It's my Church, but I'd classify myself as a sympathetic onlooker.

The new Archbishop is the first one in my lifetime who sounds like he's got the confidence of his own convictions. He will be a great step-up from his useless predecessor.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      The new leader of the Anglican Church looks very much the part for the modern age
      The archbishop was tweeting during the build-up to the serviceā€¦
      The Most Reverend Justin Welby is enthroned as Archbishop of Canterbury, and says there is "every possible reason for optimism" about the future of the Christian faith.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I enjoyed what I saw of it Scotty.

I can't get to church now but used to attend Evensong when my family stayed at Herne Bay in the summer and absolutely love Canterbury Cathedral, although sadly this area is nearer to Rochester Cathedral.

I thought what I heard of the singing was pretty good too, but it always was.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          I enjoyed what I saw of it Scotty.

I can't get to church now but used to attend Evensong when my family stayed at Herne Bay in the summer and absolutely love Canterbury Cathedral, although sadly this area is nearer to Rochester Cathedral.

Rochester Cathedral – a place of Christian worship since AD604. Located in the heart of Rochester on the banks of the River Medway, the Cathedral is one of the best places of interest in Kent.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Oh dear S_A - did you sing in the choir at Rochester or summit ?

Badly put on my part, I meant wish Canterbury was nearer than it is. Makes quick exit.

Comment

• Anna

I didn't hear Petroc on Breakfast this morning but evidently, around 7.10am, he said the new Archbishop was to be enthoned at COVENTRY Cathedral! I hope no-one went to Coventry to see it! Justin Welby seems more in touch with the real world than Rowan Williams was but I haven't seen or heard any of it yet, I will do on the news.
              (Rochester - the last Bishop of Rochester was the notorious Nazir-Ali was it not, and the setting for Edwin Drood? Sorry, off-topic!)

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I will miss Rowan W's rich voice. Welby sounds a bit Runcie-ish! (Didn't Runcie get all the memorable gigs? - Falklands, Lady Di's wedding?)

Perhaps Welby will get the next Coronation. (Sorry if it's treasonable to suggest that there is a possibility that the Queen might die one day.)

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Just started to watch my recording now. The dreaded panel of experts a la Match of the Day all jabbering away over the music. Hope it gets better than this as Service hasn't started yet.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• AjAjAjH
                    • Nov 2010

Just as I'm retiring, it seems we get an Archbishop who might make a difference. Hope we get someone similar in the appointment to Manchester.

Comment

• Cornet IV

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                      Just as I'm retiring, it seems we get an Archbishop who might make a difference. Hope we get someone similar in the appointment to Manchester.
                      Ditto for Exeter where the current incumbent is due to retire.

However, I do have reservations about Welby; I suppose most people moulded in the Church by the leadership of Geoffrey Fisher might have doubts about any successors. There's no doubt that the new man has his work cut out and this usefully might start with addressing the question of public relations and perception. I find it irksome to have to suffer acres of printed fauning over the Vatican's new enthusiasm and undue exposure on t' telly of Il Papa's appointment when a similar enthronement in our own (at least notionally) Protestant country with Her Majesty presiding over a national faith receives scant mention by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X