X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JFLL
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Sir V still the champ - I managed 3920 upstairs on the desktop with a bigger screen and mouse.
    I wonder if computer response times are a factor? My attempt was on a 2004 desktop with limited memory -- that's my excuse anyway!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
      Not as a premodifier, I would say, but predicatively I think you could - his speech was apropos.
      ....Glad I didn't get premodifier or predicatively....
      bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

So how is it pronounced then? Hard 'g' like the eel, or 'con-jerries' ?
        ... soft G - it's from the same root as congestion (things piled up).

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          ....Glad I didn't get premodifier or predicatively....
          They're just shorthand for an adjective placed before the noun it qualifies, and one placed in the predicate, that is, separated from the noun it qualifies by an appropriate part of the verb 'to be'.

Now you may use them to your heart's content!

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

just got 4140 - cross my heart - scouts honour - abnegate was the "hardest"

p.s. and thanks to jean for answering my silly questions
            Last edited by mercia; 19-03-13, 13:49.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
              I wonder if computer response times are a factor? My attempt was on a 2004 desktop with limited memory -- that's my excuse anyway!
              But there are also oddities - I didn't think quickly enough for obliged = grateful (much obliged to you). My mind immediately was thinking of obliged = compelled/forced as soon as I saw the word so I hesitated fatally (not literally, of course )

just got 4140 - cross my heart - scouts honour - abnegate was the "hardest"
              Well, that's Sir V toppled at last!
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• JFLL
                • Jan 2011

But there are also oddities - I didn't think quickly enough for obliged = grateful (much obliged to you). My mind immediately was thinking of obliged = compelled/forced as soon as I saw the word so I hesitated fatally (not literally, of course )
                And of course older minds might think of one of the proffered alternatives ‘yes, it must be that, but that’s not quite the right definition’ and that slows us down. Whereas, say, in a mental arithmetic test, the answer’s either right or wrong.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just done it twice in quick succession - 3560 and 3680....can't work out if there is always the same proportion of easy ones, which would affect the score......but as with any type of test you improve with practice.....

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Well, I've been at work all morning and am just going out again for this pm's stint. (Good word, 'stint'...shades of Miranda). I'm just trying to make the point that we haven't all got time to sit around dah de dah de dah.....

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... I've always liked congeries as a word, I think because it looks as if it ought to be a plural but is in fact a singular. I blush to confess that I do use it...

Here's a useful addition -

"Often congeries is simply the Latin term for synathroesmus ("collection"). However, the Latin term seems to emphasize the emotional amplification of such an accumulation, making congeries akin to climax and grouped among both the Figures of Pathos and the Figures of Amplification (Thus Melanchthon distinguishes incrementum [climax] as a kind of congeries). If the piling up occurs by rapidly touching on one thing and then another, congeries may be considered a type of epitrochasmus.Some authorities equate congeries with synonymia (as Melanchthon 1523 D1r; 1531 D4v-E1r))"

And there was me thinking it must be something to do with eels.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

Well, that's Sir V toppled at last!
                        Congratulations Mercia

Comment

• Anna

I did it once yesterday and twice today. With all answers correct the scores were 3600, 3980 and 4000. I don't think all the quizzes are weighted the same as regards 'difficulty' points and I also think speed of browser at various times of the day must come into it. But, all good fun nevertheless!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                            And there was me thinking it must be something to do with eels.
                            or Chinese rice porridge

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I also think speed of browser at various times of the day must come into it
                              Browser.....b r o w s e r....a lovely slow, lazy word. A ruminant not in a hurry. A yawn on the lawn. A lazy cow in fact. Strange that one should expect a 'browser' to work at lightning speed.

Sorry. It's been a long day.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                                Browser.....b r o w s e r....a lovely slow, lazy word. A ruminant not in a hurry. A yawn on the lawn. A lazy cow in fact. Strange that one should expect a 'browser' to work at lightning speed.

Sorry. It's been a long day.

Comment

Working...
                                X