Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    ah well that will take their minds off the Falklands!
    Seemingly not - he's been very outspoken on the Falklands apparently, saying Britain usurped the islands, should hand them back etc. I anticipate nothing but trouble on that front. The one bit of good news is that he does not get on with President Koechner, differing on homosexuality and gay rights.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Taking Murdoch's shilling again, Mr Pee?
      No, just giving my opinion. No payment involved.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Seemingly not - he's been very outspoken on the Falklands apparently, saying Britain usurped the islands, should hand them back etc. I anticipate nothing but trouble on that front. The one bit of good news is that he does not get on with President Koechner, differing on homosexuality and gay rights.
        So he's a complete nutter, but the good news is one aspect of him being a complete nutter is potentially in conflict with another aspect of him being a complete nutter?

Comment

• Pikaia

it seems that Frank's past is just as dodgy as Benny's:-

Jorge Bergoglio was head of the Jesuit order in the 1970s when the church backed military government and called for patriotism

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Originally posted by Pikaia View Post
            it seems that Frank's past is just as dodgy as Benny's:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...military-junta
            The Catholic Church was complicit in horrible crimes in Argentina, Hugh O'Shaughnessy wrote in the Guardian in 2011: "Yet even the execution of other men of the cloth did nothing to shake the support of senior clerics, including representatives of the Holy See, for the criminality of their leader General Jorge Rafael Videla and his minions."

Shaughnessy's indictment of the church in Argentina singles out Bergoglio:

What one did not hear from any senior member of the Argentine hierarchy was any expression of regret for the church's collaboration and in these crimes. The extent of the church's complicity in the dark deeds was excellently set out by Horacio Verbitsky, one of Argentina's most notable journalists, in his book El Silencio (Silence). He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship's political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate. The most shaming thing for the church is that in such circumstances Bergoglio's name was allowed to go forward in the ballot to chose the successor of John Paul II. What scandal would not have ensued if the first pope ever to be elected from the continent of America had been revealed as an accessory to murder and false imprisonment

One would have thought that the Argentine bishops would have seized the opportunity to call for pardon for themselves and put on sackcloth and ashes as the sentences were announced in CĂłrdoba but that has not so far happened.

It's in the Guardian though, so it can't be true.

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Written in 2011:

The most shaming thing for the church is that in such circumstances Bergoglio's name was allowed to go forward in the ballot to chose the successor of John Paul II. What scandal would not have ensued if the first pope ever to be elected from the continent of America had been revealed as an accessory to murder and false imprisonment.

Moral: never underestimate the Catholic Church.

Hugh O'Shaughnessy: The Catholic church was complicit in dreadful crimes in Argentina. Now it has a chance to repent
              Last edited by Guest; 14-03-13, 10:01. Reason: added link

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
                So he's a complete nutter, but the good news is one aspect of him being a complete nutter is potentially in conflict with another aspect of him being a complete nutter?
                I'm just pleased they don't agree on everything. (She being a nutter as well). Chilling links.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  An example of Sky News being 'best, as usual' ...

Adam Boulton stops short of fighting Alastair Campbell live on Sky News. Have I Got News for You material!10th May ~5:45PM

Poor Jeremy, I say

Talk about an end to being taken seriously. I'm not sure whether sleep deprivation or alcohol were to blame, but from being a pompous buffoon, Boulton elevated himself amusingly to the status of complete a*se in that minute or two
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    BBC wasn't much better.

As with the Royal Pageant, Sky News won this contest hands down. Intelligent comment from guests, duly respectful but also critical when appropriate. Fewer silly and pointless interviews with onlookers.
                    I have to agree. I tend not to watch anything Sky, but on this occasion, being anxious to join the waiting crowds to find out who'd been elected, I switched between BBC, Sky, CNN, Al Jazeera (!) and Euronews to find the best coverage. BBC was bottom of the heap, while Sky were outright winners. Only they adopted the right tone, had contributors who had something of interest to say, and actually knew when to allow the pictures to speak for themselves.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      I cannot say one way or the other, not having Sky, but the whole idea of sending journalists to a location to talk about nothing happening for perhaps days on end, and discussing the colour of smoke and repeating their endless speculations, is, frankly, ludicrous.
                      Couldn't agree more!

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      A bit like this thread, then?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Apparently the Vatican thought the seagull - as far as I could tell a yellow-legged gull Larus michahellis (which for pedants used to be known as Larus cachinnans, and before that as a subspecies of herring gull Larus argentatus) - that was warming its feet on the chimney cowl was attracting too much attention, so they altered the camera angle on their live feed so that you could only just see its legs

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

i have a feeling that this is the election that will really matter ....

amazing the difference in coverage as well ... mebbe Xi is old news
                          Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 14-03-13, 13:18.
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            i have a feeling is the election that will really matter ....

amazing the difference in coverage as well ... mebbe Xi is old news
                            The link's a dud, Mr J, on my machine at any rate...

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              Apparently the Vatican thought the seagull - as far as I could tell a yellow-legged gull Larus michahellis (which for pedants used to be known as Larus cachinnans, and before that as a subspecies of herring gull Larus argentatus) - that was warming its feet on the chimney cowl was attracting too much attention, so they altered the camera angle on their live feed so that you could only just see its legs

Yes. it was a cunning and devious Jesuit plot funded by a right-wing South American Junta with a vicious record in persecuting seagulls, and, as the seagull was thought also to be female, Vatican TV's concentration on its legs was clearly sexist, and Professor Dawkins is now calling for the new Pope's immediate arrest, The Guardian reliably reports ...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Has to be right ofcourse!!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X