X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alain Maréchal
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin_redux View Post
    Favourites of James Joyce and Gerard Manley Hopkins, I believe.
    Now who was it who said...?

Jesuits - if they owned Switzerland they wouldn't let you have a slide.
    Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 13-03-13, 22:09. Reason: typo

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      Favourites of James Joyce and Gerard Manley Hopkins, I believe.
      I think rather more than 'favourites' in the case of Manley Hopkins ...

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

To be just a teensy bit pompous, may I say that tonight's Channel 4 News was an absolute disgrace. John Snow in Rome seemed to have taken leave of his senses, he may be a good interviewer, and OK on the autocue, but he simply hadn't a clue this evening. The whole bulletin was a mess from beginning to end, almost laughable in the way that every time they handed back to the studio in London they hurried back again to witness -- nothing!

When the new Pope Francis finally appeared, and gave an address in Italian, they were completely unprepared, with no translator available. This Channel 4 broadcast was the equivalent of the BBC's coverage of the Thames Pageant for the Queen's Jubilee. Neither Archbishop Nicholls or Cardinal O'Connor could offer anything useful, in spite of talking at some length, it was a complete disaster.

Comment

• Roehre

BBC2 and BBC News were excellent I have to say.
          Just watching the wrong channel, FF

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            To be just a teensy bit pompous, may I say that tonight's Channel 4 News was an absolute disgrace. John Snow in Rome seemed to have taken leave of his senses, he may be a good interviewer, and OK on the autocue, but he simply hadn't a clue this evening. The whole bulletin was a mess from beginning to end, almost laughable in the way that every time they handed back to the studio in London they hurried back again to witness -- nothing!

When the new Pope Francis finally appeared, and gave an address in Italian, they were completely unprepared, with no translator available. This Channel 4 broadcast was the equivalent of the BBC's coverage of the Thames Pageant for the Queen's Jubilee. Neither Archbishop Nicholls or Cardinal O'Connor could offer anything useful, in spite of talking at some length, it was a complete disaster.
            Yes it was a shambles... not helped by the fact that they left Snow's mike live while they were grappling to understand who t'new chap on the throne was. Not their finest hour.

Mind you I find that sanctimonious tone that seeps over all BBC coverage of such events (like Royal ones - tho at least we were spared the bloody man Witchell) intolerable too.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              BBC2 and BBC News were excellent I have to say.
              Just watching the wrong channel, FF
              Sky news was best, as usual.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Taking Murdoch's shilling again, Mr Pee?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post

BBC wasn't much better.

As with the Royal Pageant, Sky News won this contest hands down. Intelligent comment from guests, duly respectful but also critical when appropriate. Fewer silly and pointless interviews with onlookers.

Nicholls and O'Connor often dealt in platitudes when questioned but, to be fair, it's difficult to see what else they could have done in such circumstances. They had little more idea of what was really going on behind those closed doors than the average viewer.

I suppose we should just be grateful that David Cameron didn't suddenly appear in front of the cameras to claim sole credit for the result, though I believe he was among the first to tweet his 'congratulations' on Twitter ...

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Yes it was a shambles... not helped by the fact that they left Snow's mike live while they were grappling to understand who t'new chap on the throne was. Not their finest hour.

Mind you I find that sanctimonious tone that seeps over all BBC coverage of such events (like Royal ones - tho at least we were spared the bloody man Witchell) intolerable too.
                    We agree, British news (in what shape or media whatsoever) is s**t anyway

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Why is it that when it comes to Royalty or the Papacy journalist's brains turn to pulp?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        ah well that will take their minds off the Falklands!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          An example of Sky News being 'best, as usual' ...

Adam Boulton stops short of fighting Alastair Campbell live on Sky News. Have I Got News for You material!10th May ~5:45PM

Poor Jeremy, I say

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            An example of Sky News being 'best, as usual' ...

Adam Boulton stops short of fighting Alastair Campbell live on Sky News. Have I Got News for You material!10th May ~5:45PM

Thanks for that link. I enjoyed it the first time and it was fun to watch again!
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              I cannot say one way or the other, not having Sky, but the whole idea of sending journalists to a location to talk about nothing happening for perhaps days on end, and discussing the colour of smoke and repeating their endless speculations, is, frankly, ludicrous.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                talk about nothing happening for perhaps days on end, and discussing the colour of smoke and repeating their endless speculations, is, frankly, ludicrous.
                                A bit like this thread, then?

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X