• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Many Happy Returns, Gamba!!

Am intrigued to discover ' Giants of Steam ' now available with ' Coronation Scot ' being sold as ' Awesome Giants of Steam ' for 1d. upwards. I'm getting one of my sons to give me this as a birthday present, only a more expensive version & in better condition, costing 2d. from Amazon. ....

... I was responsible for the camerawork, a most pleasurable experience. I've never seen a foot of it since sending the film off for processing, 50 years ago ! What a delightful present awaits me !

A minor annoyance is having one's name spelt wrongly in the credits, however that's a small matter. Although 50 years does seem a long time to wait to see if one's 'snaps' have turned out alright !
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 11-03-13, 17:41.
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
    Am intrigued to discover ' Giants of Steam ' now available with ' Coronation Scot ' being sold as ' Awesome Giants of Steam ' for 1d. upwards. I'm getting one of my sons to give me this as a birthday present, only a more expensive version & in better condition, costing 2d. from Amazon. ....

... I was responsible for the camerawork, a most pleasurable experience. I've never seen a foot of it since sending the film off for processing, 50 years ago ! What a delightful present awaits me !

A minor annoyance is having one's name spelt wrongly in the credits, however that's a small matter. Although 50 years does seem a long time to wait to see if one's 'snaps' have turned out alright !
    Congratulations on that gamba, and many good wishes for the big day on Friday.

salymap
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 11-03-13, 17:42.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Many happy returns, Gamba, and I look forward to reading many more stories.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gamba View Post

Your reference to 'snaps' made me laugh, gamba - that's how my Nain always referred to my father's carefully posed state-of-the-art light meter-assisted photos as in "Has Em got the snaps?" Still makes me think of a medical condition

This sounds like a wonderful birthday present but when is the Big Day, gamba? And is it a Big One?

Whatever, whenever, all the very best for a great day and many more to come
        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 11-03-13, 17:46.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

A VERY HAPPY 90TH BIRTHDAY TO GAMBA!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            Many happy returns, Gamba, and I look forward to reading many more stories.
            And from me Gamba, a lovely story (on what is turning into a fascinating thread) It sounds like a beautful birthday present to receive for your 90th birthday on Friday 15th - may you have a lovely day and perhaps some as well!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

enjoy the birthday gamba and the recollections of the steam age ... yours prompted me to recall the hugeness of Kings X and Newcastle Stations when i was small - probably about the time you were shooting films in your prime!
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                A VERY HAPPY 90TH BIRTHDAY TO GAMBA!!

.....and from me Gamba and many more to come......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  .....and from me Gamba and many more to come......
                  Likewise from me... I think this occasion merits not being hidden away in this thread!

I be going to start an 'Appy Birthday Gamba thread!!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Many Happy Returns, Gamba!!

Very best wishes for your 90th on 15 March, Gamba!!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Likewise from me... I think this occasion merits not being hidden away in this thread!

I be going to start an 'Appy Birthday Gamba thread!!
                      That be a fine idea, please add this to it:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GAMBA!

... and, as anton says, many more to come!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

And many happy returns for Friday from me, gamba! (Ides of March, eh?)

Here's a slideshow of musical portraits for you to browse through (one or two gambas in there):

Comment

• Gordon
                          • Nov 2010

Happy Birthday Gamba, quite an achievement!!. May your safety valves always lift and your chimney always chuff!!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Happy birthday Gamba!

I was just too late to be pulled by steam on the East Coast Main Line - I made a few trips between King's Cross and Waverley in the early 60's, as far as I can remember the train was still called the Flying Scotsman, but hauled by a Deltic!

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

* CONGRATULATIONS GAMBA *

Comment

Working...
                              X