X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
    People not connected to the grid should be supported in their efforts to establish supplies. However, in the UK, if you're not grid connected, you don't get FITs.
    Well, of course not; there'd be nothing to feed into!

And only the capital-rich can afford their own renewable energy system.
    It does indeed represent a capital investment, for the funding of which many try to borrow against anticipated negative returns in the form of much lower and more controllable bills; again, however, the hardware costs, not only of renewable energy systems themselves but also of the peripheral materials (such as underfloor / wall / roof insulation, underfloor heating, heat recovery ventilation systems et al which complement such systems but are not themselves energy producing) will inevitably plummet when demand for them increases sufficiently, to the point at which far less up-front capital investment will be required.

I may be complacent about the merits of the grid but I recall the huge improvement in overall power system generation efficiency which resulted from its establishment in the UK. It will be with us for a while yet.
    I suspect that it will - and I do not see it as being entirely without merit - but it would indeed be complacent to seek to depend solely upon it indefinitely, especially when most countries have to import at least some of the energy that gets distributed through it rather than having the full control available only to countries that are energy self-sufficient.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Seems that those who 'leased' their roof for someone to put in panels, from which they get free electricity but the panel-owner/roof-leasor gets the FIT, may have put their heads in a noose. I've heard of someone who's tried to remortgage his house and is getting no takers because of the prior 'lease'.

There are also some 'split' schemes where the home-owner shares the FIT with the installing company - gets his money from the latter. Guess what? Some of these co's are going out of business, selling or assigning their future earnings without any reference to the payments due to the home-owner. He just finds out when his payments stop coming.

Never mind - should keep lawyers rich for decades
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        however, the hardware costs, not only of renewable energy systems themselves but also of the peripheral materials (such as underfloor / wall / roof insulation, underfloor heating, heat recovery ventilation systems et al which complement such systems but are not themselves energy producing) will inevitably plummet when demand for them increases sufficiently, to the point at which far less up-front capital investment will be required.
        Not while such schemes are subsidised they won't. The hardware suppliers will continue to take their share of the cake. That's what's happened with wind, so why should any other technology be different.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          Seems that those who 'leased' their roof for someone to put in panels, from which they get free electricity but the panel-owner/roof-leasor gets the FIT, may have put their heads in a noose. I've heard of someone who's tried to remortgage his house and is getting no takers because of the prior 'lease'.

There are also some 'split' schemes where the home-owner shares the FIT with the installing company - gets his money from the latter. Guess what? Some of these co's are going out of business, selling or assigning their future earnings without any reference to the payments due to the home-owner. He just finds out when his payments stop coming.

Never mind - should keep lawyers rich for decades
          Not if there's no money to be had, it won't! I agree that these schemes are total cons.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Not while such schemes are subsidised they won't. The hardware suppliers will continue to take their share of the cake. That's what's happened with wind, so why should any other technology be different.
            I don't see government subsidies in the form of FITs - however nice the income from them might be to receive - as a long-term way forward in helping to develop a much wider market in renewables. Whether subsidising the prices of the hardware and/or installations might have been a better plan I do not know for certain. There does, however, need to be an effective way of ensuring the affordability of such hardware and installations because the long-term - and I stress long-term - savings could be immense, especially when compared to the burden of permanently escalating fossil fuel prices.

Comment

• amateur51

Lordy I'd forgotten that this was ahinton's second favourite hobbyhorse, after taxation of course

To paraphrase my friend Hazel, he could open the boring for Scotland
              Last edited by Guest; 19-03-13, 13:38. Reason: Hazel

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Lordy
                Wrong thread, ams!

I'd forgotten that this was ahinton's second favourite hobbyhorse
                What would you bet on it at 3-1, then?

For the record, however - and at the unwelcome risk of disappointing you - I don;t have too much time for hobbies and certainly cannot afford to own and maintain a horse (which, since I am also incapable of riding one and have no desire to do so, it perhaps not such a bad thing).

after taxation of course
                Is there anything "after taxation"? Oh, yes, of course! Death. How silly of me to forget about those two certainties in life!

To paraphrase my friend Hazel
                Can you please tell us more about her (provided, of course, that her surname is not Blears)?

he could open the boring for Scotland
                By no means; not only could I not do so, the very act of drilling for gas, oil or whatever would also quite obviously run entirely counter to my interest in renewable energy sources!

Comment

• amateur51

Wrong thread, ams!

What would you bet on it at 3-1, then?

For the record, however - and at the unwelcome risk of disappointing you - I don;t have too much time for hobbies and certainly cannot afford to own and maintain a horse (which, since I am also incapable of riding one and have no desire to do so, it perhaps not such a bad thing).

Is there anything "after taxation"? Oh, yes, of course! Death. How silly of me to forget about those two certainties in life!

Can you please tell us more about her (provided, of course, that her surname is not Blears)?

By no means; not only could I not do so, the very act of drilling for gas, oil or whatever would also quite obviously run entirely counter to my interest in renewable energy sources!
                  Oh frack off, why don't you

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Great stuff, let's teach children that the best way to cope with modern life is to stick your head in the sand
                    What's 'politically-correct' about engaging with climate change for goodness' sake scotty? You are the giddy limit, as my Dad used to say
                    But you were just hailing Michael Gove for removing this very item from the school curriculum.

I know you're a bam-pot but at least be a consistent bam-pot!
                    Which ones did you have in mind, Oh Great One?
                    Do you find it impossible to post a comment with no valuable content?

Crude language, as you so prissily put it, is occasionally a useful rhetorical device when dealing with head-in-the-sand merchants like you, Mr Pee.

Back to the Formula One on the Sky with you
                    Lordy I'd forgotten that this was ahinton's second favourite hobbyhorse, after taxation of course

To paraphrase my friend Hazel, he could open the boring for Scotland
                    My, you've got to admire the brain behind this stuff!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Now you do already know the answer to that! - and if you're not absolutely certain, I'll give you the clue that it's broadly identical to the reason for my not boring as you suggested earlier!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Now you do already know the answer to that! - and if you're not absolutely certain, I'll give you the clue that it's broadly identical to the reason for my not boring as you suggested earlier!
                        You're not boring??

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          You're not boring??
                          See #81 &#82.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

With your record for not engaging with other people's arguments, I'm taking that as a compliment A_I_C
                              Last edited by Guest; 19-03-13, 19:03. Reason: tidy up

Comment

• Mr Pee
                                • Nov 2010

With your record for not engaging with other people's arguments, I'm taking that as a compliment A_I_C
                                And you can now add that one to the list, Inspector.
                                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X