Bernstein the television presenter - has he ever been equalled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc
    • Sep 2024

Bernstein the television presenter - has he ever been equalled?

I've just watched a documentary which Leonard Bernstein presented on American television in 1956. It reminded me how approachable his television style was and set me asking myself if he has ever been matched in this sphere. This particular programme, introduced by Alistair Cooke, dealt with the American stage musical/operetta up to that time. He made some thought-provoking points in a captivating way - many of which had never occurred to me. One of the most original sections of the programme was a comparison of the Act I Finale of The Mikado and Of Thee I Sing. To compare the many similarities, he had costumed singers staging the scene and, at appropriate points, changing costumes on stage and moving to the other work. Original and instructive - and with no use of pre-recordings or any other short-cuts which might be used today.

Lennie's screen presence was unmistakable, but, smoking having not yet taking its toll on his voice, he sounded young and the husky tones had not developed. Inevitably, he spent some of the programme with cigarette in hand and one foot on the piano stool.

I remember seeing the series, The Unanswered Question, many years ago, but this was a much earlier Bernstein. Just how much earlier was brought home very strikingly when Cooke thanked Rodgers and Hammerstein for giving permission to use music from their shows, "including South Pacific, which is about to be filmed".

What a wonderful opportunity to see these classic programmes - I believe it's a series of six. I know that some members here do not like seeing non-BBC broadcasts being praised, but here I must make an exception. I think I recorded it on Saturday on Sky Arts 2, but there are doubtless opportunities to catch a repeat.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post

What a wonderful opportunity to see these classic programmes - I believe it's a series of six. I know that some members here do not like seeing non-BBC broadcasts being praised, but here I must make an exception. I think I recorded it on Saturday on Sky Arts 2, but there are doubtless opportunities to catch a repeat.
    great stuff, VodkaDilc - they're on youtube free and available to buy on amazon uk for just under £30 if you're feeling flash with the cash

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      great stuff, VodkaDilc - they're on youtube free and available to buy on amazon uk for just under £30 if you're feeling flash with the cash

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.5rZjpwu_VS0
      What a truly wonderful resource Youtube can be!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        What a truly wonderful resource Youtube can be!

Many thanks for the links, Ami!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          great stuff, VodkaDilc - they're on youtube free
          http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.5rZjpwu_VS0
          Lenny-bloody-tastic, Ams!!

And wonder of wonders, LB's 'Harvard Lectures' from 1973 are also available free!!

In 1972, the composer Leonard Bernstein returned to Harvard, his alma mater, to serve as the Charles Eliot Norton Professor of Poetry, with 'Poetry' being defined in the broadest sense.

(Links to the lectures 2 - 6 are available a little lower down on that page via the hyperlinked titles)

A seminal part of my musical education whilst still at school
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

The answer is: NO.

Even the transcriptions of the programmes which were published in book form still show Bernstein's enthousiasm combined with his knowledge and asy going presenting it all brilliantly.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              The answer is: NO.
              What's the question?

Oh... to the thread title, you mean! (The penny drops Was confused by Lenny's 'Unanswered' one... )

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Chas Hazlewood surely comes close.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  Chas Hazlewood surely comes close.
                  Not to some of our boarders I think, if they can possibly avoid it
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Lenny's Unanswered Questions were entirely wonderful. With Hans Keller, Robert Simpson et al on R3 in the 70s, they taught me how to listen and how to think...

(They certainly put Howard Goodall in his place...)

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

All the complete Omnibus and Unanswered Question programmes now successfully downloaded from Youtube. Will copy to micro-SD card for something to enjoy during the daily commute.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        All the complete Omnibus and Unanswered Question programmes now successfully downloaded from Youtube. Will copy to micro-SD card for something to enjoy during the daily commute.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Lenny's Unanswered Questions were entirely wonderful. With Hans Keller, Robert Simpson et al on R3 in the 70s, they taught me how to listen and how to think...

He HAS a place?(!)...

Indeed, those were the days - and that's not mere nostalgia talking; in fact, the particular comparison that you make here being more odious than most, it's a wonder how anyone who ever listened to those discussions from all those years ago can stomach more than a few minutes of any of the Good Night All stuff, frankly. Perhaps one of the most remarkable aspects of those broadcasts is that listeners, however inexperienced in the subject matter, never felt talked down to.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

LB wasa truly great but i fancy he might haver liked HG ....

[Bryn how do dld from YouTube, is it legal etc?]
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X