Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

But who really cares about whether or not Suzy Klein is attractive or whether this, that or the other person does or doesn't think that she is so when not only is it her presentation that's being discussed but also we're talking Radio and not television here? I'm not an absolute stickler for strict adherence to the thread topic at all times and costs but this really is a diversion from it, surely? And if anyone thinks that it isn't, then scotty's Neanderthality certainly is!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Here we go again, scotty's out with his broad brush.

In my experience a lot of gay men are perfectly comfortable with the notion of a woman's attractiveness but a lot of straight men baulk at the idea of expressing their positive views on another man's attractiveness, lest this should reflect poorly on their masculinity and sexuality. And therein lies the nub of the problem - this isn't about 'pretty women' at all; it's about an ancient construction of masculinity.
      Talking about broad brushes ...

What do you know about such men as you must now logically concede, and have you ever tried being one in the way that your 'dear chum', Flossie, suggests? Hairy-chest wigs and beer-scented after-shave might be available on the internet at knock-down prices, amsey.

Then you and Flossie might just understand what some males have to 'encounter in everyday life'.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        But who really cares about whether or not Suzy Klein is attractive or whether this, that or the other person does or doesn't think that she is so when not only is it her presentation that's being discussed but also we're talking Radio and not television here? I'm not an absolute stickler for strict adherence to the thread topic at all times and costs but this really is a diversion from it, surely? And if anyone thinks that it isn't, then scotty's Neanderthality certainly is!
        Well, not really. The thread topic was whether SK played more non-classical music than SR or PT on In Tune.

Comment

• scottycelt

Hear hear, ahinton ... which begs the question why you ever contributed to the 'diversion' in the first place!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            Talking about broad brushes ...

What do you know about such men as you must now logically concede, and have you ever tried being one in the way that your 'dear chum', Flossie, suggests? Hairy-chest wigs and beer-scented after-shave might be available on the internet at knock-down prices, amsey.

Then you and Flossie might just understand what some males have to 'encounter in everyday life'.
            Lordy scotty, gay men of my age invested huge amounts of time and emotional effort trying very hard not to be who we are until it dawned on us in the 70s that we didn't have to do that, we could be ourselves. I know very well what it is to be a straight man, thank you

And on reflection, this is what Keith O'Brien has been going through - this is why he was so vociferously against gay marriage. He had to condemn it, otherwise people might think ...
            Last edited by Guest; 11-03-13, 12:35. Reason: Keith O'Brien bit

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              I am all for 'pretty women', warts and all.

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                Well, not really. The thread topic was whether SK played more non-classical music than SR or PT on In Tune.
                Indeed - but that's part of a consideration of the content of her presentation, isn't it? The extent to which it is "classical" and non-"classical" is hardly predicated upon her appearance, surely?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I don't think the In Tune presenters have much say in the content. But there is a roster of producers, and they do - so it could be some producers choose more non-classical.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I don't think the In Tune presenters have much say in the content. But there is a roster of producers, and they do - so it could be some producers choose more non-classical.
                    That's an important insight, thanks french frank.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

This is an issue to which I've frequently drawn attention when presenters are criticised for the manner and sometimes the content of their presentations on R3.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

This is an issue to which I've frequently drawn attention when presenters are criticised for the manner and sometimes the content of their presentations on R3.
                        But it depends on the programme/presenter: someone like Rob Cowan would have more of a say/be consulted but I doubt if any of them would be 100% reponsible for choices, given the various external pressures from various quarters.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

But it depends on the programme/presenter: someone like Rob Cowan would have more of a say/be consulted but I doubt if any of them would be 100% reponsible for choices, given the various external pressures from various quarters.
                          Indeed; my point (and I think also yours) is one of "don't shoot the pianist - he's doing his best", to the extent that it's hardly fair to blame the presenter without knowing the extent of his/her input in advance.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

.. to the extent that it's hardly fair to blame the presenter without knowing the extent of his/her input in advance.
                            as the BBC places the presenter's name in 40pt bold as compared to the 6pt of the producer with I suspect salaries in similar ratio, then it seems only just to 'go for' the bigger name as the 'show' is built around them - tho as I only listen to 5 min of Breakfast each day + avoid the evening cringe entirely, it is of little importance to me - at .least CoTW is still worthwhile listening.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

I would have tought that Sean would have some say, given that the programme is so closely identified with him (to me, anyway). I would imagine some sort of editorial meeting between the presenter & producer.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                                as the BBC places the presenter's name in 40pt bold as compared to the 6pt of the producer with I suspect salaries in similar ratio, then it seems only just to 'go for' the bigger name as the 'show' is built around them - tho as I only listen to 5 min of Breakfast each day + avoid the evening cringe entirely, it is of little importance to me - at .least CoTW is still worthwhile listening.
                                Me too !

Comment

Working...
                                X