• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Kenny Ball R.I.P.

Here goes another 'Great' from my youth...

Jazz trumpeter Kenny Ball dies aged 82
    Musician who found fame with hits including Midnight in Moscow played last concert in January

R.I.P.
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Yes indeed! The grim reaper strikes again! Another top artists has died. I'll always remeber his March of the Siamese Children!

RIP Kenny Ball
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

no wish to speak ill of the deceased and he was a major figure in the entertainment world ...

my problem was that Siamese Kids and Midnight in Moscow were impossible to forget ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Kenny Ball RIP...

Kenny Ball has passed at age 82. Alyn Shipton's appreciation is quoted in the Telegraph.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

my problem was that Siamese Kids and Midnight in Moscow were impossible to forget ...
          My old dad was right on this one's subtitle, at least; "so hard to forget" - indeed

"It's Easy to Remember (And So Hard to Forget)" is a popular song written by Richard Rodgers with lyrics by Lorenz Hart, published in 1935, written for the 1...

Never managed to figure out why it's that popular a standard with some jazz musicians...

Back on topic, A Kenny Ball LP was my first jazz album - mainly for about ten seconds of boogie-woogie piano at the start of track 2. I can't remember either it or the record's title; just knew I had to get shot of it when I switched allegiance to "modern jazz" or I'd be persona non grata in the school jazz club. In retrospect Kenny was one of the better traddies, and a recent book more than suggests that it was the fans that were the problem when it came to stylistic transgressions, not most of the musos, who had a lot of respect for the "dirty boppers" - over here, at any rate.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I see Bluesnik has started an identical thread over on the jass board. Perhaps this is where this one really belongs? Any chance of amalgamating them?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

b;last meant to merge this with doversoul's thread but moved it instead; would the Platform 3 host oblige?
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

First Hugo Chavez...and now Kenny Ball....those passing "populists" eh? Bet Kenny gets a far better BBC obit than Hugo.

BN.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Just think what Kenny might have done if he'd had all those tax revenues....
                  bong ching

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

My father once got ugly drunk with Kenny Ball and said he was a really tight and miserable (redacted), but the band were fine! Claim to fame.

Hugo and Kenny both won top polls though.....OK, Kenny's were in the Melody Maker and he didn't have to fight off the CIA....only Russ Conway.

BN.

Comment

• burning dog
                      • Dec 2010

Kenny Ball inspired Keith Tippett to become a jazzer

Comment

Working...
                      X