Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Disappointingly overcast in Essex for the most part.

Visit to good old mum with the usual gift assortment.

It's funny how you long for light nights all winter while their eventual arrival seems of little consequence.

Lovely to hear Scriabins First on the wireless and no SMP to irritate tonight.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Evenin' all.
      Sorry I'm late (I've got a note).
      Sounds like a great couple of days in prospect ts.
      I love the light nights,walking the dogs after work so much more enjoyable.
      Been another summer like day here.
      Had a good day,daughter and hubby been round with the grandkids.
      We demolished half a ton of Maltesers which my son had given Mrs ER for mothers day.
      Not much time for music today,just a bit of U2 on the IPod whilst out with the hounds.

Comment

• Estelle
        • Nov 2010

Hello, Alison and Everyone,
        I'm a regular reader of this thread; enjoy the conversation here. I just wanted to mention that I am listening live to tonight's LSO-Gergiev-Matsuev concert from my home in San Diego, California--isn't the internet a miracle? I have heard most of the week's Southbank Centre's concerts as well, and felt inspired to mention that I also find Ian Skelly a relief after hearing SM-P all week. She's fine when speaking in an undertone, but seems to be unaware of how her voice sounds when she raises it to speak above clapping. Presenters need some honest and anonymous feedback on their effect on listeners. A favorite program is Saturday's "CD Review" but I often have to strain to hear Andrew McGregor's sentence closures (or replay at times). Have a wonderful week, and I hope you don't mind that I joined in out of the blue like this!

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Hi Estelle

You are more than welcome in our cosy corner.

I just chanced upon tonight's concert and have been enjoying it very much.

You feel sure that SMP would be a delight if you lived next door to her. My own particular allergy is the continual and predictable use of the word LIVE before and after every piece of music.

Yes I can relate to the raised voice matter too.

As its not too late there's time to choose a little something else to listen to. Good old Skellers.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Welcome from me too Estelle.
            The more the merrier I reckon.
            Sunday Night Club goes global Alison.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Where is Pet tonight ? Too busy cataloging his Bruckner 8's I expect !

Comment

• Estelle
                • Nov 2010

You're right, Alison, about there being time to listen to something else, now that the Evening Concert has ended--it's nearly 2:00 pm here, and I haven't heard Saturday's CD Review yet.

I don't know SM-P, but doubt I'd want to have her next door if she has a volatile personality! Certainly not next door to my house, where the neighbors are but yards away and windows often open. The dogs are bad enough!

Thanks for the welcome, Rob.

Petrushka surely can't have as many Bruckner 8's as Alpensinfonie has Strauss Alps! Last I remember was 39 versions, probably more by now. Enough for an entire shelf!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

I bet he's been blown away by some Weinberg.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

I've switched on some Liadov: Baba YagA, the Enchanted Lake and Kikimora.

That's not a bad idea, CD Review I mean.

I know who won the Appalachian Spring Building a Library but should be an interesting listen.

I expect Sainty is already missing the pop up studio.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Estelle View Post
                      Hello, Alison and Everyone,
                      I'm a regular reader of this thread; enjoy the conversation here. I just wanted to mention that I am listening live to tonight's LSO-Gergiev-Matsuev concert from my home in San Diego, California--isn't the internet a miracle? I have heard most of the week's Southbank Centre's concerts as well, and felt inspired to mention that I also find Ian Skelly a relief after hearing SM-P all week. She's fine when speaking in an undertone, but seems to be unaware of how her voice sounds when she raises it to speak above clapping. Presenters need some honest and anonymous feedback on their effect on listeners. A favorite program is Saturday's "CD Review" but I often have to strain to hear Andrew McGregor's sentence closures (or replay at times). Have a wonderful week, and I hope you don't mind that I joined in out of the blue like this!
                      What a great post Estelle! Love that we have a contributor in SoCal (I need a trip back there, KUSC on the car radio on a jammed freeway Seriously, I need a visit. Even had 'It never rains in California' and '99 miles from LA' on the car stereo during a road trip this weekend! )

I agree with your opinions there. I was at one of the concerts last week that SM-P presented from the stage. Ian Skelly is great. Also Louise Fryer - who I was able to observe 'in action' on a trip through the Festival Hall after a meeting: likewise, a relief after the simpering of Ms Derham.

Hope there will be lots more from San Diego!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Any interesting French building a library's of late, Cali ??

I think that was the best ever performance of the Organ Symphony on Wednesday and you were there. Lucky bean.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

I was present at a 2010 Prom when Gergiev conducted the LSO in the Scriabin 1. It was the most unbelievably boring work I've ever heard and if I never hear it again it'll be too soon.

Apologies for being grumpy on a Sunday evening but really...

Envious of teamsaint's couple of days away, just a full week at work for me but not without some interest. We had a member of staff walk out the other week amid allegations of bullying and intimidation. I just happen to have been a witness to the whole thing so have to be interviewed by the big boss this week. This sort of thing is completely unacceptable these days but you always get these psychologically flawed people in offices as I know to my own cost in the past. Anyway, I intend being honest about what I've been seeing and it could cause ructions. Looking forward to the fallout. Sooner I can retire from the place, the better but five years to go yet.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

I reckon its that silly old Symphonie Fantastique that has made you grumpy Pet!

Good luck with all the office shenanigans. Bullying is horrible.

Good to see some of your reviews on Amazon.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Well, a big welcome to the Sunday night snug to Estelle. Been like California here today. Well, its been quite sunny at least .

Sorry to hear about the office nonsense , Pet. I'm sure you will be able do the right thing.

I didn't know Pet had been reviewing on Amazon. I'll have to try to see some.

Not sure why Alison thinks I would be missing the old pop up studio!!. Must have said something in an unguarded moment !!
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                I reckon its that silly old Symphonie Fantastique that has made you grumpy Pet!

Good luck with all the office shenanigans. Bullying is horrible.

Good to see some of your reviews on Amazon.
                                The Karajan Symphonie Fantastique is in the 1970s box and it's the first time I've heard it for many years. The bells were recorded on location somewhere and you can just hear the faint buzz of traffic. Better than listening to Scriabin 1 anyway.

Have a look at my Amazon review of William Boyd's Waiting for Sunrise if you want a good laugh. Worst book I've ever read. http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=0
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X