• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Brass is superb though.
    Yes that struck me when I listened on Monday - wonderful 'blare' on the trumpets
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Yes that struck me when I listened on Monday - wonderful 'blare' on the trumpets
      Ah yes that would be the wonderful Adolph ('Bud') Herseth, I'm sure. I saw the Chicago SO several times in this period so most of the players on this CD would have been identical to those I saw in memorable concerts with Solti.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Another week notable for the speed of its passing.

Relieved and a little surprised to get my central heating repaired on a Sunday. Was just about to chuck in the British Gas plan too!

What a treat to have a LSO concert on a Sunday evening.

Good win for you Sainty.

You seem upbeat Pet.

All this and a BAL on VW9 coming up !!

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Another week notable for the speed of its passing.

Relieved and a little surprised to get my central heating repaired on a Sunday. Was just about to chuck in the British Gas plan too!

What a treat to have a LSO concert on a Sunday evening.

Good win for you Sainty.

You seem upbeat Pet.

All this and a BAL on VW9 coming up !!
          Upbeat? Well, I'm sure the working week will soon put a stop to that! I've got some serious catching up to do on CDs bought but not yet played due to Abbado commemorations and one or two good concerts on R3. Bruckner 5, 7, 8 & 9 Concertgebouw/van Beinum, complete Mahler symphonies from Sinopoli, Abbado Haydn symphonies, Schumann PC and Nono CD. In addition, my thread on the Berg Three Orchestral Pieces has made me want to play it again asap. There is also the 1958 Ring from Knappertsbusch awaiting audition.

So much music...so little time!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Hi Alison and all Sunday nighters.

Hope the weather's been kind where you are,glorious day here.
            Loads of Bach and Mendelssohn for me today.
            Yep,a stunning Britten violin concerto this evening,I'm not up for the second half though.
            Everyone's talking about my favourite piece of music,perfick

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              Hi Alison and all Sunday nighters.

Hope the weather's been kind where you are,glorious day here.
              Loads of Bach and Mendelssohn for me today.
              Yep,a stunning Britten violin concerto this evening,I'm not up for the second half though.
              Everyone's talking about my favourite piece of music,perfick
              The Britten unfamiliar to me, ER, but the Elgar In the South was utterly magnificent, best performance I've ever heard.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

I was wondering if I'd heard a better performance of the concerto. Vengerov seems to have matured as an artist.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Evening workers.
                  Hope you have had a good weekend.
                  Lots of good things. Day out at Fulham, some great music, Pet's excellent Berg thread. Looking forward to catching up with tonight's concert.
                  Pet has a treat in store , discovering the Britten !

What is Nige feeding the foxes......must be raw meat !

Edit. Finally got round to watching a Mahler 3 I recorded from sky arts....Jansons/ Royal concertgebouw.

One day I will see a Mahler 3.
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 03-02-14, 08:50.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Berg not one of my favourites.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Can't believe it's been 2 weeks since we Sunday night chatted.
                      How are you all ?
                      Hope the weather has been good where you are,beautiful day here.
                      Dogs are full of beans,they must think spring has arrived already.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Evening Workers.

Been a lovely day down here for once. Did a bit of garden tidying and so on. Glad the dogs are enjoying the weather ER. That gig next saturday looks great !!

I'm catching up with one that has eluded me thus far. Tchaik 3, prompted by Alison.
                        Rattling along very nicely so far !!

And just got the new Oysterband album . Britains greatest folk rockers !!
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Hi there Robbo

Yes all fine in Essex. Ive acquired some new CD shelves so have been busy filling them.

Lovely day and actually sat in the garden for 40 mins or so with coat and scarf on. Ive had that pale
                          indoors look for too long!

Not many threads to contribute to just now which was the original point of this one.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

There is that fantastic moment when you know that the sun is going to shine all day. I opened wide the curtains on my south and west facing windows today all day and without central heating on at all, and could really feel the Vitamin D and sunlight filling the house. The energy is alert, you know you may be about to come out at least this part of the winter at last. AND bulbs lurking, tiny, tiny leaves on fuchsias stored indoors beginning to sprout - not those tired leaves from way back, but bright green clusters. PLus an hour outside pottering, snipping, inspecting in the garden, and getting shouted at by the bored, hoyden daughters of my neighbours. Hmm.

That and Beethoven's Late Quartets all afternoon.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Hi there Robbo

Yes all fine in Essex. Ive acquired some new CD shelves so have been busy filling them.

Lovely day and actually sat in the garden for 40 mins or so with coat and scarf on. Ive had that pale
                              indoors look for too long!

Not many threads to contribute to just now which was the original point of this one.
                              I haven't got any room left for CD shelves

An unexpectedly fine day here, dry and sunny though still a cold wind blowing.

As usual went to see my mother in the care home this afternoon. She's been in there for nearly three years now apparently with vascular dementia. I say 'apparently' because in the past few weeks we have all noticed a distinct improvement. The care home staff are somewhat bemused to find this and so are we. My mother is showing distinct signs of recognising her children again and speaking lucidly and coherently. We were told that dementia is a degenerative disease but we believe that her damaged blood vessels caused by a series of mini-strokes are possibly regenerating. We're not expecting any miracles but it runs counter to all expectations which was of a downhill spiral without hope of reverse.

Any neuro-surgeons on the Forum?

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

That all sounds rather encouraging Pet.

I'm rather envious of those on half term. Three days off for me this weekend so can't complain really.

Only three weeks until Cheltenham and racing will be more interesting again.

Comment

Working...
                                X