X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Hello Alison,how's you ?
    There was a time when we would all have a good chinwag of a Sunday.
    Just a swift half for me,early start tomorrow.
    Hope you're having a relaxing break,plenty of good listening.
    Hope all other Sunday nighters are well.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

I'm getting the drinks in early tonight.

1. Pet, how was the Mozart/Mahler the other Sunday? I hear applause started before the end of the symphony?

2. I still can't quite believe the Berlin Philharmonic has appointed someone I'm not certain I had heard of,

3. Feel like a new Mahler 9: Fischer, Elder or Chung - anyone??

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        I'm getting the drinks in early tonight.

1. Pet, how was the Mozart/Mahler the other Sunday? I hear applause started before the end of the symphony?

2. I still can't quite believe the Berlin Philharmonic has appointed someone I'm not certain I had heard of,

3. Feel like a new Mahler 9: Fischer, Elder or Chung - anyone??
        Hi Alison, thoroughly enjoyed the LSO/Haitink Mozart/Mahler concert and sorry I never got round to doing a proper review. Yes, the applause did start before the last note had sounded but it didn't spoil enjoyment.

Have to agree re Petrenko in Berlin. I'd heard of him but only just and mostly because I knew he cancelled a Mahler 6 with BPO a short while ago. A bit of a leap of faith on the part of the orchestra but let's hope it turns out well. Hope that orchestras here are now clamouring for his services so we can have a chance to assess him.

After a long time away from the Mahler 9 I recently bought the Fischer disc and while it doesn't entirely replace my allegiance to old favourites, it's still a very fine version recorded in excellent sound. Not heard Elder or Chung and not currently seeking them out unless someone like Richard Osborne gives a rave review.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

If anyone wishes to sample the Fischer Mahler 9, there is a ridiculously cheap MP3 download from Amazon:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Cheers Ferney, excellent decision making steer.

Very interesting comments re James Macmillan btw. For me the rot set in around the time of the Third Symphony.

Pet - always think Bernie is the master in the closing stages of the First, never giving too much too soon and not rushing either. It's rare for me not to have some misgivings about the end but expect It was delivered to perfection on the night.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

good evening Sunday Nighters.
              Mahler eh? been trying to plough my way through a few 3's recently, courtesy of a some very generous board members.
              trying to get some proper listening done, buts lots of other stuff to do just now.

Yes, I enjoyed, ( and forgot to thank him for) Ferney's comments on Macmillan. Was a bit worried though by the bit where he talked about the general listener who enjoys RoS and bits of Messiaen....and thought ....he means US !!!!!!!!!!

Might try to take in a lunchtime recital on THursday when I am in the smoke, I think there is something on, can't remember what though.
              Have managed to arrange work around one or two Proms, including the LPO/Uchida Schoenberg/DSCH which was one of my top picks. Have to wait till September though.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Which is your favourite Mahler 3 so far Sainty?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Evening everyone.

I'm not in the Mahler zone these days,there was a time when I listened to little else,I will return to him in the future no doubt.
                  Particularly saddened by the passing of Edward Greenfield and Chris Squire in the last few days.
                  Over half way through the year folks

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Just feel like saying hello to my dear Sunday friends on this chilly midwinter Friday night.

Whatever you're doing this weekend .. All best wishes and sending positive vibes from Essex.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Just feel like saying hello to my dear Sunday friends on this chilly midwinter Friday night.

Whatever you're doing this weekend .. All best wishes and sending positive vibes from Essex.

Hi Alison.

Friday night greetings and likewise positive vibes from frosty South Wilts. Really feels like winter now.

No footy for me this weekend , after a damp but enjoyable trip to SMS on Weds night.
                      Time to get some of those Xmas CDs listened to, and some warming grub cooked !!

Have a good weekend folks, and happy listening !

( lots of Poulenc and Messiaen for me at the moment.In between doing my own job and my bosses, who jumped ship before xmas.....)
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

How did you get on with Mahler 3 in the end Sainty?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Hi Alison, ts and all Sunday nighers or even Friday nighters ,

Footy tomorrow, if it's on.
                          Nothing but Bowie and RVW for the last couple of days here.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

How did you get on with Mahler 3 in the end Sainty?
                            Ah well, long story, as it is bound to be with M3.

Not sure where we got to, but a very generous board member sent me two spares, the Haitink / BPO and the Gielen.
                            i actually haven't listened to the Gielen complete,( due to sheer weight of CDs) so the jury is still out.

Still like the Bertini as much as any, but it's work in progress. And hoping to hear it live sometime soon, but nothing booked up.

lets hope ER gets his footy fix, and Stockport can persuade a winning manager to sign up.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Hi Alison and all Friday/Sunday nighters. Friday night so much better than a Sunday night don't you think?

Winter gripping the Staffordshire countryside but ice was the main problem here this morning with some snow. Wisely decided to don Wellies in view of the ice but, as has happened so often, arrive at work to find no snow or ice anywhere at all. Just hope the weather doesn't spoil the Saturday afternoon racing as I really need to keep the winning bandwagon on the road. Had a win every Saturday since Oct 31!!

The playing of Christmas CDs has got delayed with the Boulez tribute programmes I've put on so hope to resume shortly.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

The VPO/Boulez is another good'un Sainty!

But yes you need a live experience too.

I must catch up on the latest Stockport sagas, never a dull moment there it seems?

Good to have a live Leicester game on the telly to look forward to.

Hope we can confirm our superiority over the Villa. Even Lawro fancies us for this one!

Comment

Working...
                                X