X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Evening all

None of us have made it to the bar of late.

Any news, views, good vibes??

Pet - don't you ever listen to Vaughan Williams??! Just curious.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Evening all

None of us have made it to the bar of late.
      Speak for yourself

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Which part of London do you live in Beefy??

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Hi Alison and other regulars.

full working week ahead. No live music lined up for a few weeks.Chelsea away next week.

At least that is one way of looking at it.

But are we downhearted? Certainly not !

Lots of music to catch up on.
          Alison, ER has been schooling us all in the Myaskovsky Piano Sonatas. Do you know them? I reckon #4 would be right up your street !!

Edit: thats a lie about the live music, got tickets for a gig in Salisbury in 2 weeks, groovy French Canadian Folk outfit, Le Vent du Nord. terrific stuff.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Hi Alison and other regulars.

full working week ahead. No live music lined up for a few weeks.Chelsea away next week.

At least that is one way of looking at it.

But are we downhearted? Certainly not !

Lots of music to catch up on.
            Alison, ER has been schooling us all in the Myaskovsky Piano Sonatas. Do you know them? I reckon #4 would be right up your street !!

Edit: thats a lie about the live music, got tickets for a gig in Salisbury in 2 weeks, groovy French Canadian Folk outfit, Le Vent du Nord. terrific stuff.
            You tryin' to tell me suffink?

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              You tryin' to tell me suffink?

regular is a state of mind, like Yorkshire.

you need to check out my daft question on the " questions and answers thread".
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                regular is a state of mind, like Yorkshire.
                Oh, we like to be regular in Yorkshire.

It's all them Pontefract cakes.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Good evening all,hope you are well.

Everyone welcome here Beefy,even Man Utd fans.
                  Full week at work looming here too followed by a week off ...yaaahooo.
                  Wouldn't you just die without Vaughan Williams ?
                  Any of you folks following the all of Bach Fridays ? I know ts is,it's the most wonderful project.
                  I still can't work out why some composers ended up being great masters and other equally good ones (IMO)were cast aside.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Pet - don't you ever listen to Vaughan Williams??! Just curious.
                    Not all that often, if truth be told, Alison, though I do have three complete sets (Previn, Davis and Boult) and one or two of Haitink's single issues among others. It's just that I have to make a conscious decision to actually play one, if you know what I mean. Can't abide the Sea Symphony, sorry.

Expect to get a ticking off from ER now.

There won't be much chance for music this week as I'll be watching Cheltenham replays once back from work. I'll be there on Friday for the Gold Cup as usual.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Found myself in the environs of Oxford Street last week with a little time to kill, so I thought I'd look in at HMV for the first time in ages. Both northside shops have now gone, but the Bond St one has returned to its original location, where I first knew it, to No 363 on the south side of the street, on the site of the first ever HMV opened in 1921 in the presence of Edward Elgar. It was good to step back into the building where I did some of my first browsing in the 1980s... but what a change, in terms of classical - one wall along part of a floor, and a thin and rather random selection. Some off-the-beaten-track stuff, largely due to a surprising number of Dutton CDs (they must have some deal with HMV).... and I felt the itch, and bought some Havergal Brian ...

... this one, which I mentioned on another thread as having an intriguing cover:

Some little known symphonies, Roderick Williams in a vocal piece... Tempting. But...

I'm going to be taking it back (another old ritual - keeping the receipt!). Having listened, it's not great music; and it's a style of 'not-great' that I'm not ever going to like. (EDIT: another ticking off from ER in prospect! )

I'm hoping that HMV in their sizeable shelf of Naxos CDs have the Hummel Piano Trios by the Gould Trio reviewed on CD Review last week - they really caught my ear, and I'd love to convert my tenner into those two volumes
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Found myself in the environs of Oxford Street last week with a little time to kill, so I thought I'd look in at HMV for the first time in ages. Both northside shops have now gone, but the Bond St one has returned to its original location, where I first knew it, to No 363 on the south side of the street, on the site of the first ever HMV opened in 1921 in the presence of Edward Elgar. It was good to step back into the building where I did some of my first browsing in the 1980s... but what a change, in terms of classical - one wall along part of a floor, and a thin and rather random selection. Some off-the-beaten-track stuff, largely due to a surprising number of Dutton CDs (they must have some deal with HMV).... and I felt the itch, and bought some Havergal Brian ...

... this one, which I mentioned on another thread as having an intriguing cover:

Some little known symphonies, Roderick Williams in a vocal piece... Tempting. But...

I'm going to be taking it back (another old ritual - keeping the receipt!). Having listened, it's not great music; and it's a style of 'not-great' that I'm not ever going to like. (EDIT: another ticking off from ER in prospect! )

I'm hoping that HMV in their sizeable shelf of Naxos CDs have the Hummel Piano Trios by the Gould Trio reviewed on CD Review last week - they really caught my ear, and I'd love to convert my tenner into those two volumes
                        Many thanks for the tip off, Cali: must get along to see if there are any copies of the Brians left, not being in possession of any of those particular symphonies. I have a passion for Havergal B: too many write him off - he takes some working on, but I like that challenge.

I intend trying Harold Moores at 2 Gt Marlborough St at the same time. They have a good reputation for jazz recordings, and might be worth checking for classical too: there are very few decent record shops around any more - I miss my browsing days of old.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Many thanks for the tip off, Cali: must get along to see if there are any copies of the Brians left
                          There'll probably be mine, re-shrink-wrapped, in a week or so! One very careful owner...
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Foyles in Charing Cross Road have got a decent classical selection. Probably the best in London after Harold Moores but both are a bit pricey.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Foyles in Charing Cross Road have got a decent classical selection. Probably the best in London after Harold Moores but both are a bit pricey.
                              Interesting, and thanks Pet. I haven't done Foyles for a number of years now. They used to do mainly jazz... and various indeterminate genres.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Caliban and Petrushka......consider yourselves ticked off

Comment

Working...
                                X