Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Great idea Alison to open the Sunday night club this evening.
    Happy new year to the regulars and all forumistas.
    Off work today,managed to listen to the Davis Gerontius this morning,you're quite correct Alison,what a recording,just sublime.
    Went out for a nice meal this evening with the family.
    We have been left holding the babies (well 3 and 10 year olds) while son,daughter and husband are out on the razzle,suits us fine.

On a sad note,sorry to hear of the passing of Michael Kennedy,champion of all RVW and Elgar champions

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

That Gerontius just has to be record of the year. Pet, is it one of your Xmas 165 discs?!

Sounds a nice day Edgers. Ah but bitter-sweet as life always seems to be. Expect MK would have loved the aforementioned recording.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        That Gerontius just has to be record of the year. Pet, is it one of your Xmas 165 discs?!
        165? I only had 63 but was beaten hollow by Pastoralguy who managed 127. Really must do better next Christmas!

No, the Davis Gerontius wasn't one of them but reports here and elsewhere would seem to indicate an essential purchase. I've seen Sir Andrew in the work three times live (including the one on DVD from St Paul's) so well aware of the qualities he brings to it. I've been swearing by the Barbirolli for many years now and it'll have to be very special to top that. It's a piece I have to be in the mood for so it doesn't get heard too often here.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I think I've just managed to miss being the last contributer to the Politics subforum, and since this seemed the best if not only place to say this, I'd just like to thank all those with whom I enjoyed many fruitful discussions on apparently contentious issues of the day, including those with whom I disagreed.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

That's a bit early - there's still an hour and a half of the 31st December to go. Or is Bristol in a different time-zone?

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              165? I only had 63 but was beaten hollow by Pastoralguy who managed 127. Really must do better next Christmas!

No, the Davis Gerontius wasn't one of them but reports here and elsewhere would seem to indicate an essential purchase. I've seen Sir Andrew in the work three times live (including the one on DVD from St Paul's) so well aware of the qualities he brings to it. I've been swearing by the Barbirolli for many years now and it'll have to be very special to top that. It's a piece I have to be in the mood for so it doesn't get heard too often here.
              I surprised myself by listening to it twice in two days. Such is the way this recording compels attention.

Right, time to catch up with last Saturdays BaL.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                That's a bit early - there's still an hour and a half of the 31st December to go. Or is Bristol in a different time-zone?
                That's what I thought Flossie.

It would also have been nice for the forum to have remained accessible for re-viewing some of the thread debates, as with the old BBC boards,, if not further contributions.

I almost feel like Trotsky must have when his image was wiped from official Soviet images.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

just back from a pleasant meal with a few special friends, just in time to say " Happy New Year " to my MB mates, and especially all the Sunday Nighters.
                  Have a wonderful 2015, and keep spreading the faith of great music.

Like S-A, I wish the old politics boards were still visible, or better still still open, but que Sera , etc.

I've got lots of new CDs to keep me out of mischief during the winter weeks ahead, so I'm happy enough. A win against Arsenal would be a good way to start the new Year though !!
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Happy New Year, gang!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Happy New Year, gang!!

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Welcome home Sainty!

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Welcome home Sainty!
                          well that is very kind Alison, but I only went to Romsey, 10 miles away !!!!

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Happy New Year, gang!!

Indeed .....still 2014 in the pit heaps but we will get there soon.....

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Like S-A, I wish the old politics boards were still visible, or better still still open, but que Sera , etc.
                              See if this works -

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                yes it does thanks Floss
                                I actually found it earlier by putting "Current Affairs" into the forum search engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X