Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Poor Petrushka. Enjoy a quiet evening and day off tomorrow.

So wish I was going to another Bruckner 8 this week!

Anyone else ever get the feeling that they hadn't appreciated a concert enough at the time? Were it to be repeated I'd love to go back and listen all over again.

Jolly bad luck with the acca Edgers. Had you worked out the multiplied odds?

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Anyone else ever get the feeling that they hadn't appreciated a concert enough at the time? Were it to be repeated I'd love to go back and listen all over again.
      You could if you lived in Glasgow or Edinburgh (& were prepared to travel between the two), as the RSNO, the BBCSSO & the SCO play the same programme in each city (with a few visits to Aberdeen, so you could hear some programmes three times, if you were prepared to make the 6 hour round trip ).

You could also do it for the SO, although you probably wouldn't want to for the current production of Cenerentola

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        You could if you lived in Glasgow or Edinburgh (& were prepared to travel between the two), as the RSNO, the BBCSSO & the SCO play the same programme in each city (with a few visits to Aberdeen, so you could hear some programmes three times, if you were prepared to make the 6 hour round trip ).

You could also do it for the SO, although you probably wouldn't want to for the current production of Cenerentola
        Thanks Flossie. It almost seems wasteful that a lot of London concerts are one offs.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Anyone else ever get the feeling that they hadn't appreciated a concert enough at the time?
          A not infrequent experience. The problem is that there are so many variables involved; irritating neighbour, don't feel in the mood for that particular music that night, feel unwell, trouble at work, worried about catching the last train home etc., etc. When all he elements do come together though, it's very special. Useful to have a radio recording as well.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            A not infrequent experience. The problem is that there are so many variables involved; irritating neighbour, don't feel in the mood for that particular music that night, feel unwell, trouble at work, worried about catching the last train home etc., etc. When all he elements do come together though, it's very special. Useful to have a radio recording as well.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Thanks Flossie. It almost seems wasteful that a lot of London concerts are one offs.
              When I first started going to London concerts in 1978 they were virtually all one-offs. Second performances were rare until quite recently.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

When I first started going to London concerts in 1978 they were virtually all one-offs. Second performances were rare until quite recently.
                I see that the Bruckner 8 is actually being repeated in Madrid a week tomorrow!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Poor Petrushka. Enjoy a quiet evening and day off tomorrow.

So wish I was going to another Bruckner 8 this week!

Jolly bad luck with the acca Edgers. Had you worked out the multiplied odds?
                  summink like 66/1 chuck

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

We were sorting out our bedroom, to be ready to take delivery of a new bed!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Contemplating a move then, Alison?

Comment

• Zucchini
                        • Nov 2010

Andris Nelsons cancelled his Brum appearances this week for family reasons, so I looked to see if he was still scheduled for Boston next week (He is).

He has no less than 4 performances scheduled of a quite severe programme consisting of Sofia Gubaidulina's first Violin Concerto (soloist the lovely & brilliant Baiba Skride) + Sibelius Symphony 2. All 3 are Latvian!

The latest set of Accounts (to 2013) shows a staggering endowment fund with a net worth in excess of $400 million and which generated over $35 million income in the year. It makes our orchestras' grant income from ACE and local authorities look like petty cash. And you can easily afford Nelson's reputed/rumoured earnings of $1 million for 16wks.

(Rchard Rheingold might be able to comment on whether BSO are a one off or whether many US orchestras enjoy such philanthropy.)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Anybody there ?

Another fun packed week of living the dream ahead

It's November already.

How are we all ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Fed up with fireworks already, which seem to have started scaring the wildlife even earlier than usual this year.

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Feeling in good heart in spite of the Premiership table.

Life is good most of the time.

I don't like Haloween or Guy Fawkes though

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Evening Sunday nighters.

Yup, spot on ER, living the dream. A round of redundancies going on at work, if only I was looking at a huge redundancy payment, wouldn't see me for dust. THey seem to think that sacking sales people will help sell more books, sacking editors will help produce better books, and so on. Bonkers.

Anyhow, Saints fans really are living the dream, and I have some Friday Night music lined up this week.

St Petersburg Philharmonic playing Prokofiev VC #2 and Tchaik 6 in Amazingstoke. Should help keep spirits up during the week.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X